Thread: TRAY RETURN CAMPAIGN

Default TRAY RETURN CAMPAIGN

The campaign started about 3 years ago.

Do you return tray or cant be bother?

I do unless in very clear circumstances where the worker is at my table already.

Default Re: TRAY RETURN CAMPAIGN

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]try revisit the old threads to see whether people change their mind or not.

Poll: Clearing trays & saying thank you

To return or not return trays

Will you clear the foods tray at the Hawker Centre or Foods Court ?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post

As Sion has said, in a Progressive society, they will clear/return for me. hehehe

So, none of the above. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by can100D View Post
    As Sion has said, in a Progressive society, they will clear/return for me. hehehe
    In more progressive countries like Malaysia people eat with hands and banana leaves and doing away from cuteries and plates and bowls.

This is what the future of Singapore food courts will look like if our tray return campaign fails:

Last edited by Sion; 6th March 2016 at 08:54 AM.

Personally, I clear my tray each time. It's a good habit to have, and to be a good role model for my kid.

I see many inconsiderate families with young kids. Eat, and leave a big mess on the table.

What kind of role model those stupid idiot parents showing to their young?!

..Mind set change,

We do it because we help the next customer to have a clean table.

We also do it to help the uncle and aunties who are paid to do the job.

We do it to educate others as well as our children.

It may take a generation or more to change the mindset!

Posted by me many years ago....

October 29, 2009
    Impressions.
    It's a workday. It's lunch time. It's been a while since I had a proper lunch. With a meeting (that was going to last through lunch) cancelled, I made my way out for lunch alone. As usual, ending up at KFC Kallang. Ample parking, no need to go underground. Enough seats without having to use tissue. And most importantly, great food.

I found my way to my usual spot after getting my food, sat down, and instantly realised how noisy the place was. There was this group of students, probably primary 5-6, seating in front of me. All girls. All in uniform. All impersonating Ris Low. Yep, the usual boomz and colors came out. And what I found very amusing, was the fact that they even managed to copy her mannerism. Her swaying of her low chin while keeping the temple and shoulder in one place. Her slight left lip pouting. It's incredible. And they were play acting something out. And recording it on a video. I wonder when that's gonna end up on You-Tube.

While all these were happening, the table next to me, a group of 4 very young adults (20s), were passing snide comments on how disgusting these students were. And how bad their english was and then having the guts to laugh at another of their own. And then something snapped inside me. I would have thought that I would feel the same. But I didn't. In fact, I thought these kids were pretty creative. And their imagination made me smile. And that they were, in fact, quite entertaining. And harmless mostly.

But the group of critics went on... whispering(!?) below the din of the school girls, about how disrepectful they are. About the fact that one of them could be ris low 2.0 in 10 years' time. About how badly brought up these kids were...

Really?

Well, the kids' lunch came to an end and were getting ready to leave. The critics stood up, walked away looking disgusted and shaking their heads. The school girls, on the other hand, started piling the mess on the table, onto the tray. It was a big group of them, so they had to join tables. But they broke up the tables back to original position. And they slid the chairs under the table, flushing the backrest of the seats nicely. And they carried the trays to the return station and emptied the rubbish. And there was a piece of serviette on the floor. One of them went back to the table they were occupying, bent down, and picked it up to throw it into the bin. Auntie Ong (a KFC service staff) was smiling thankfully, while she was clearing the trays left behind by the 4 critics. That was an impression.

And today, in 2016, I wonder if the group of 20s young adults have already learned to clear their own table???

Quote Originally Posted by peekarwe View Post
    Posted by me many years ago....

October 29, 2009
    Impressions.
    It's a workday. It's lunch time. It's been a while since I had a proper lunch. With a meeting (that was going to last through lunch) cancelled, I made my way out for lunch alone. As usual, ending up at KFC Kallang. Ample parking, no need to go underground. Enough seats without having to use tissue. And most importantly, great food.

I found my way to my usual spot after getting my food, sat down, and instantly realised how noisy the place was. There was this group of students, probably primary 5-6, seating in front of me. All girls. All in uniform. All impersonating Ris Low. Yep, the usual boomz and colors came out. And what I found very amusing, was the fact that they even managed to copy her mannerism. Her swaying of her low chin while keeping the temple and shoulder in one place. Her slight left lip pouting. It's incredible. And they were play acting something out. And recording it on a video. I wonder when that's gonna end up on You-Tube.

While all these were happening, the table next to me, a group of 4 very young adults (20s), were passing snide comments on how disgusting these students were. And how bad their english was and then having the guts to laugh at another of their own. And then something snapped inside me. I would have thought that I would feel the same. But I didn't. In fact, I thought these kids were pretty creative. And their imagination made me smile. And that they were, in fact, quite entertaining. And harmless mostly.

But the group of critics went on... whispering(!?) below the din of the school girls, about how disrepectful they are. About the fact that one of them could be ris low 2.0 in 10 years' time. About how badly brought up these kids were...

Really?

Well, the kids' lunch came to an end and were getting ready to leave. The critics stood up, walked away looking disgusted and shaking their heads. The school girls, on the other hand, started piling the mess on the table, onto the tray. It was a big group of them, so they had to join tables. But they broke up the tables back to original position. And they slid the chairs under the table, flushing the backrest of the seats nicely. And they carried the trays to the return station and emptied the rubbish. And there was a piece of serviette on the floor. One of them went back to the table they were occupying, bent down, and picked it up to throw it into the bin. Auntie Ong (a KFC service staff) was smiling thankfully, while she was clearing the trays left behind by the 4 critics. That was an impression.

And today, in 2016, I wonder if the group of 20s young adults have already learned to clear their own table???
    We have lost sight of civic manners and soul.

depends i have my meal outside or inside . if outside, lot of birds and crows, they sh8t everywhere... hence , i will return the tray.
    Objection !!!

...It may take a generation or more to change the mindset!
    More ministers should eat in food courts more often to set examples.

tell them many times, and they don't want to listen. than just use carrot and stick.

carrot: those who return their trays, can get a pack of free tissue paper as a small token of appreciation.

stick: those who caught mess up their table and don't return their trays after meals, have to serve 4 hours of corrective work order at the food courts and hawker centres, 2 hours clearing the trays others left behind, and 2 hours catching those people didn't their trays.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    carrot: those who return their trays, can get a pack of free tissue paper as a small token of appreciation.
    Some might prefer a night out with cleaning aunties than a pack of tissue paper.

Last edited by Sion; 8th March 2016 at 10:18 AM.

"......The critics stood up, walked away looking disgusted and shaking their heads....." this happened at all food courts, well dressed some with tie.. just walked away and can't be bother

but I am not bother, I will continue to clear the table so that others can have their meal. It is my duty as a fellow man.

One of the biggest problem with tray returning is the lack of space for trays even in food court. You always landed with having to stand there queuing for your turn to return and nobody is there to clear the trays from the shelves.

Actually clearly the trays are not an issue if these food court or hawker centre provide enough passageway for cleaner to push their carts. At the same time. they alsp wipe the table. Unfortunately, the tables and chairs are so close even we have difficulties walking between. So the poor cleaners have to carry the tray instead of pushing a cleaning cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    One of the biggest problem with tray returning is the lack of space for trays even in food court. You always landed with having to stand there queuing for your turn to return and nobody is there to clear the trays from the shelves.

Actually clearly the trays are not an issue if these food court or hawker centre provide enough passageway for cleaner to push their carts. At the same time. they alsp wipe the table. Unfortunately, the tables and chairs are so close even we have difficulties walking between. So the poor cleaners have to carry the tray instead of pushing a cleaning cart.
    Well at least you attempt to do it. Bravo to you!