Thread: Slide to print...

Default Slide to print...

Recently I picked up the courage to shoot a roll of slides, fearing the worse since I am using a mechanical camera. But surprisingly, most of the shots turned out much better than expected. I was amazed by the beauty of slides. I showed my fren and he immediately asked to have it printed to see whether the beauty can be reproduced on prints. Sad to say, the print was just a pale shadow of the brilliant slide. Is this normal or is it the fault of the processing lab???

Default Re: Slide to print...

While it is often not possible to totally reproduce the beauty of the slide onto the print, the place where you sent your slides for printing and the type of print also greatly affects the results.

KS

Originally posted by Gunjack
    Recently I picked up the courage to shoot a roll of slides, fearing the worse since I am using a mechanical camera. But surprisingly, most of the shots turned out much better than expected. I was amazed by the beauty of slides. I showed my fren and he immediately asked to have it printed to see whether the beauty can be reproduced on prints. Sad to say, the print was just a pale shadow of the brilliant slide. Is this normal or is it the fault of the processing lab???

so is there any recommended labs to do good reprint of the slides??

Default Re: Slide to print...

First, remember the law of physics. Slides viewed through a lightbox is viewed via transmitted light. That's why you can see all the vibrancy of the slide.

When you print it, you are now viewing the thing via reflected light, which immediately loses some of the contrast, colour, etc.

Try a good lab like Foto Hub or Colour Lab for slide to prints.

Regards
    CK

where is colour lab?........

Colourlab is in Adelphi, the building beside across the road of Funan.

Trouble is, i sent my slide to Colourlab. Maybe my very cheapo Lupe lied to me, I dunno, but my friends and I agree that it seems like a very big drop in the way my print look from the slide.

Hmm... Or perhaps you might want to give RGB or Spectra Colour a try. Both are 'pro' labs and should probably do quite a decent job on the printing.

KS

Trouble is, i sent my slide to Colourlab. Maybe my very cheapo Lupe lied to me, I dunno, but my friends and I agree that it seems like a very big drop in the way my print look from the slide.

i have try colorlab. green cast is very obvious. Head over The world of nature section to see the result.

drop in quality from slide of print? of coz, that's for certain. ckiang already explained why.

Yups, i know that there will be a drop in quality... But i didn't know that from viewing the slides that looked better than any of the negatives I have taken, the slides to print would turn out worse than most of my negative prints. I dunno is it becoz I am just using a cheapo viewer to look at the slides thats why I couldn't tell how bad it really was.

but i always send my slide to a developing co. at kallang place call Pro Colour..

Yups, i know that there will be a drop in quality... But i didn't know that from viewing the slides that looked better than any of the negatives I have taken, the slides to print would turn out worse than most of my negative prints. I dunno is it becoz I am just using a cheapo viewer to look at the slides thats why I couldn't tell how bad it really was.
    Someone once said that if you want the final result to be in print it's always better to shoot print film. He might be right. On the other hand, a good lab should be able to do it well. I don't do a lot of slide to prints, but so far those I've done are pretty okay.

Regards
    CK

Actually it was my friend's idea to print the slides, as it looks mighty fine to him, and also to me, maybe its our first time viewing slides.
    Think I'll try another lab see how. Maybe my experience was just an isolated case. Dunno if the result come out better can ask for refund or not... though we just tested 1 slide, hahha!

Actually it was my friend's idea to print the slides, as it looks mighty fine to him, and also to me, maybe its our first time viewing slides.
    Think I'll try another lab see how. Maybe my experience was just an isolated case. Dunno if the result come out better can ask for refund or not... though we just tested 1 slide, hahha!
    Best way to print slides is to get a good dedicated film scanner and a good photo printer.

Regards
    CK