Thread: whao, nice ride dude....

Default whao, nice ride dude....

itz a rare ferrari f430 at orchard road.
    was trying to express the driver's appreciation to the car....was a pity noise level was visible. did the pic go well with the title? im having difficulty cropping this picture. any advise?

original pic

need advise! thanks!

Default Re: whao, nice ride dude....

wahh, what a car
    the first crop does not work for me because it shows only part of the ferrari. even if you crop the car, enough should be shown to make it look like a gr8 car. in that sense, i prefer the second shot because it tells a better story. however, there is too much clutter in the background. i understand that it might have been difficult for you to get/wait for a clean background. the plants in the foreground are distracting too.

i dont want to flame anyone but this is the kind of situation where a SLR gives an advantage over a p&s. with a SLR the background would be out of focus to an extent that you might not see the cars and the people in the background. mind you, i have nothing agains a p&s and i think it takes really sharp pictures

The background being "out of focus" would be a result of a shallow depth of field when using large apertures or short focusing distance. This "bokeh" effect can also be created by some of the PnS cameras these days. Likewise, with a SLR/DSLR, with a smaller aperture, say F11 or smaller, the background can remain in focus as well.

Back to topic - it would be a good idea to "blur" the background as they are distracting to the composition. Cropping as to be made, because of the out of place arm in the foreground. But not to the extent of missing out on the car. It is quite difficult to show the admiring driver's expression and (a substantive portion of) the car at the same time with this current composition. Good idea, nonetheless. Keep shooting!

thanks for the comments! i see what i can do with photoshop.....im nt rich and experience enuf for a dslr yet

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Likewise, with a SLR/DSLR, with a smaller aperture, say F11 or smaller, the background can remain in focus as well.
    this is not true! using smaller aperture, you just get deeper DOF. thats all. you stop down to F11 can get foreground subject and background in focus???

I stand corrected. You can "clearer" background, instead of a "blurred" one.