Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Olympus E systems?

Default Re: Why Olympus E systems?

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    just dont blame the system for the bad pictures u might take but yourself for the lack of shooting/learning experience.
    I don't understand the fuss over that statement...photography is a skill and has to be learned.

I don't know how many times I've seen a statement like, "I bought this camera two days ago and used it to shoot a wedding on the weekend, the camera's a piece of garbage" or "I bought this camera just before going on vacation, but it takes lousy pictures."

In my own case, I bought my C-700 just over a month before leaving on a trip, but even that was not long enough to learn all the controls and quirks about the camera.

Personally I'm always trying to improve my shooting skills, or learn a new trick. I'm not one of those people who just points and shoots.

It's a poor handyman who blames his tools, and it's a poor photographer who blames his equipment. You can say that's irresponsible, but it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I used to own the Nikon D100, then crossed over to Olympus C-5050Z. I loved the colors of Olympus's, and subsequently sold my D100 and my Nikon lenses then. At that time, Nikon D100 just need too much twisting on PS to get a good decent photo. Anyway, after C-5050Z, I went on to C-7070WZ. Olympus continue to blow me off! I would have taken the plunge to buy the E-300, but can't justify as I have both the C-5050 and C-7070. Now, I'm very tempted to take the plunge into DSLR again, and looking at E-500 and the Zuiko 17-45 f2.8-3.5 lens...

Pros and cons of Oly DSLR systems, I believed reviews have said enough. But I would recommend potential camera buyers to consider Olympus DSLR's. The Zuiko 11-22 and 17-45 lenses are excellent, and comparable with equivalent Nikon's and Canon's.

My personal opinions.
    Fyi Pal,

ZUIKO DIGITAL
    17.5-45mm F3.5-5.6

Ultra light and compact 2.6x standard zoom lens. It is equivalent to 35-90mm on a 35mm camera. You can enjoy close-up shooting with a minimum focusing distance down to 28cm in entire zoom area, and 0.23x (equivalent to 0.46x on a 35mm camera) of magnification. Two aspherical lenses compensate each aberration to give the high image quality in entire zoom area.

*Not sold separately. Available only in the E-500 Lens Kit
    Last edited by chainsmoker; 2nd November 2005 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    Fyi Pal,

ZUIKO DIGITAL
    17.5-45mm F3.5-5.6

Ultra light and compact 2.6x standard zoom lens. It is equivalent to 35-90mm on a 35mm camera. You can enjoy close-up shooting with a minimum focusing distance down to 28cm in entire zoom area, and 0.23x (equivalent to 0.46x on a 35mm camera) of magnification. Two aspherical lenses compensate each aberration to give the high image quality in entire zoom area.

*Not sold separately. Available only in the E-500 Lens Kit
    Thanks, I'm actually referring to the Zuiko 14-54 f2.8-3.5 lens. Undortunately, the E-500 don't come with body alone. Thanks for correction anyway.

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...-35/index.html

bad pics = bad cam?

To think all the awesome pics taken back in the 60s where cams and lens were manual relative to the standard of today is testament to me that good cam is 15% of the equation.
    Last edited by raycsk; 2nd November 2005 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Thanks, I'm actually referring to the Zuiko 14-54 f2.8-3.5 lens. Undortunately, the E-500 don't come with body alone. Thanks for correction anyway.

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...-35/index.html
    do they seriously not sell the body alone in sg?

oh well, can try buying online... uk sells them bodies alone...

only thing would be the cost!!! and probably that price can get u a lens kit in sg...

Quote Originally Posted by ernie_ng81
    do they seriously not sell the body alone in sg?

oh well, can try buying online... uk sells them bodies alone...

only thing would be the cost!!! and probably that price can get u a lens kit in sg...
    as for now, NO.

it seems that sg is one of the countries which absolutely do not sell body alone for all entry level DSLRs, regardless of brand. don't really know why at all. maybe they worried newbies will buy the body with no lens and start shooting around!

mmm... actually the E1 is quite similar in price to the E500. I think the E1 cost like $2200 with the 14-54 lens. So that is around $1400.

Which would you get E500 or E1?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    mmm... actually the E1 is quite similar in price to the E500. I think the E1 cost like $2200 with the 14-54 lens. So that is around $1400.

E500 cuz its newer and more advanced probably? haha...

I hardly post. Because i normally read and forget. This forum has interestingly evolved from 'Why E-system' to 'Blame-Your-Tools-if-you-shoot-like-nuts'.

I own the E-300; 14-45; 40-150; FL-36 and VA-01. I have intentions to procure the 14-54 lens and mate it with the E-300. I have no intentions to purchase the E-500.

Succinctly put, the E-system works for me because the whole set works under extenuating circumstances. Despite not being weather-proofed like its more established brethen, the E-300 kit plus flash has survived slight drizzles on numerous occasions when i bring it out on military exercises. Its SSWF technology meant that i swapped between kit lens and telephoto quite often outfield. It survived the downwashes of choppers, snakes and hard knocks; supremely robust, yet compact enough to carry along together with standard military gear.

It delivers stunning colour compared to the Nikons and Canons.

Delivers Great price-performance ratio on every single accessory.

However, its archilles heel would be the AF system; its rather slow compared to the Minolta Dynaxes. Another peeve would be its 3-point AF spots rather than 7 or more; cramps composition style.

I wonder why people compare the E-system against Nikons or Canons. I still cannot stand the way Canons' CMOS portray asian skin and Nikon for its dysfunctional price-performance ratio.

Personally, i feel the nearest competitor to the E-system would be the KM Dynax.

That's a direction i'm seriously looking at unless i buy the 14-54 lens soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

the E1 is a tried & tested PLUS proven to be a very stable, steady & reliable work horse.

the E500 is a new kid on the block with the latest hype & whistles.

buy both. one for backup, one for action.

i was also having a hard time choosing between camera. i have a nikon slr camera which have done wonders for me in years. but when i am choosing my first digitial camera a few years back. i came across olympus c4000z.

back then i only find the user interface very user friendly compare to the other brands.

however, when i use it more often. i find that my photograph is very good compare to those other friends (sony f828: which is more expensive)camera have taken. friends who uses nikon have problems adjusting to the right settings.

Olympus is the only dc that i seen which can adjust exposure compensation while in "modes".

i can even use a customise mode for my own needs.

when finally, i am buying my first dslr. i have include olympus into the picture.

the price of a dslr with 2 lens only at the price of a 5 mp nikon body w 1 lens(cheap one)cause me to settle for my e300.

i bought it not long ago but i love every inch of it already. if olympus do not produce a dslr, i might not even wants to buy a dslr at all.

for many, they complain about the start up time. i would say you would complain more about the time you spent tuning your camera due to bad screen layout and searching of the right command to give yourself a good picture.

i saw a nikon of the samiliar price range. i am disappointed that the settings can only be view on the top of the camera where your eyes are at the back of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by drektster
    the price of a dslr with 2 lens only at the price of a 5 mp nikon body w 1 lens(cheap one)cause me to settle for my e300.

for many, they complain about the start up time. i would say you would complain more about the time you spent tuning your camera due to bad screen layout and searching of the right command to give yourself a good picture.
    hello drektster, u forgot to mention the price of an E1 body with 1 kit lens brand new, can't even get u an old 2nd hand Nikon D1x body only.

also people complain about the 2 sec start up which is neccessary for the dust buster to work, but they seem to accept & justify the hrs spent touching up dust specks in the pics. thats the power of marketing!!

there are so many reasons i would settle for my e300. that it could easily fill this page with only one reply.

i forgot to mention, if anyone who cannot make up you mind on the spec. all you need to do is to use your feeling.

feel the robust body of an olympus e300 and e1. (i dun know about e500, as i have never touch it before)

but i must say. owning an olympus has it cons.

like a branded swiss "philippe patek" you might not fetch a good price if you plan to sell it. but if you see someone selling it. grap it. guess what thou i have e300, i am still happy with all my olympus camera.
    Last edited by drektster; 3rd November 2005 at 09:15 AM.

Hey i'm drool at the F-stop at certain focal length..... e.g 35-100 F2 . // eye-poping

Quote Originally Posted by densim
    Personally, i feel the nearest competitor to the E-system would be the KM Dynax.
    Pls elaborate. Nearest competitor in terms of colour quality?

Nearest competitor in terms of value for money as well as for performance; what i perceive to be real-world functionality.

I'm not sure about others, but when using the E-300 i found that the AF system was sorely lacking. When i picked up the Dynax 5D, a half-squeeze on the shutter button and everything in the viewfinder went clear in a near instant.

I have yet to compare pictures taken on a Dynax to that taken on the Olympus.

Quote Originally Posted by densim
    Nearest competitor in terms of value for money as well as for performance; what i perceive to be real-world functionality.

I'm not sure about others, but when using the E-300 i found that the AF system was sorely lacking. When i picked up the Dynax 5D, a half-squeeze on the shutter button and everything in the viewfinder went clear in a near instant.

I have yet to compare pictures taken on a Dynax to that taken on the Olympus.
    It is true that Olympus' AF speed is not as desirable as other makes but from my hands-on on the other DSLRs, I dare say that Olympus is the best when it comes to AF accuracy. Give me accuracy over speed any time man...

Look at all the other forums... you get complains about FF and BF issues frequently, something we hardly hear from Oly users.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    .. you get complains about FF and BF issues frequently, something we hardly hear from Oly users.
    Hmm.. probably because there are much more photographers who use Nikon's & Canon's? But probably you might be right, because all of my Oly friends who use E-300 & E1 didn't have BF/FF problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    It is true that Olympus' AF speed is not as desirable as other makes but from my hands-on on the other DSLRs, I dare say that Olympus is the best when it comes to AF accuracy. Give me accuracy over speed any time man...

Look at all the other forums... you get complains about FF and BF issues frequently, something we hardly hear from Oly users.
    Actually, I feel that AF speed and accuracy are pretty good across all brands given the current state of technology.

Yup, there are less complains abt focussing issues.... maybe Olympus is more careful/stringent with the quality assurance process.

Dunno who has read this article. Things are looking positive.

Have a read here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast