Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Olympus E systems?

Default Re: Why Olympus E systems?

For an entry DSLR user, I got a surprisingly good system for slightly over $2K (E-300 + kit lens + 50mm f2.0). For myself, this combo is good enough for most situations (from portrait to landscapes to architecture) Take the E-300 for example, although it is supposed to be an entry DSLR, the solidly-made body actually came as a nice surprise. The 50mm f2.0 (already a legend on its own) - I was told by a non-Oly friend is priced "too cheap" for its stunning quality.

As a beginner, I used set everything on auto mode and got very pleasant outcomes - for example on a sunny noon, I shot against a blue sky expecting the usual washout look. But it did not happen - the hues were rich and colors well controlled (I was not even using a polariser)

I was introduced to Olympus by a foreign friend photographer who took stunning pictures using both Nikon and Olympus. I have chosen Olympus after much cost-benefit calculation (an accountant's nature). Overall, it seems that Olympus always put quality at heart and one never felt short-changed. The camera is ever so forgiving even for a lazy learner like myself.
    Last edited by serene; 1st November 2005 at 10:16 PM.

Just to share why i chose olympus btw the others.

Firstly, I usually take scenaries and landscapes. Sometimes i include ppl in them, but they need more of the background instead of portrait-like pictures. The 4/3 system w 7mm-14mm 11-22mm appeals to me here. The 4/3 system with the premium lenses control distortion very well, and 7mm-14mm is the widest at the moment with surpassing results.

Secondly, the other lens 50-200mm is a good all rounder lens, having a 100mm-400mm telephoto range. Starting at F2.8 and ending at F3.5. Its suitable enough for both indoor and outdoor usage. Adding Ex25, gives you 1:1 magnification for macros. This lens is chosen as a walkabout lens over the 14-54mm.

Thirdly, as odvious to many others. Noise issue and no IS/VR. But when olympus developed their 'CMOS' like and 'AS'(minolta) sensor. Omg its going to be perfect as "light of the gods" thus the name Zuiko(a jap word).

Lastly, its the marketing campaign over in this region sux.
    Why are we paying so much more for the same product?
    Why are we given less option to chose what kit to bundle?
    Why hasnt prices for the premium lens dropped, its coming 3 years after the launch of E-1 with ED glass?

When are they going to start listening and reply our emails, and listen to our struggling response to afford their faulted design the 4/3 system - no AS/IS/VR. and high noise at this moment. Until they perfect it, yah we will pay premium prices. Are u listening Olympus SG??
    Last edited by chainsmoker; 9th November 2005 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Olympus has the cheapest weather sealed DSLR, "anti-dust", new lenses designed for use with the camera, external TTL flash, etc.

The only lacking areas in my opinion are
    1. fast startup
    2. fast burst rate
    3. IS/VR/AS lenses/bodies
    4. wireless flash support
    5. >10MP resolution bodies
    6. deep second hand market.

Of course, these might not be important for all (many are not important for me too!), especially those looking for a decent entry system. I would gladly picked up the Olympus system if it were available earlier at a lower price point (then, the cheapest Olympus DSLR is the >$4k E1!).
    Sorry, what did you mean by deep second hand market?

Im gonna be going for an entry level DSLR which makes all the models for the different manufacturers about the same for fast burst rate innit?

We're definitely not talking about comparisons between that and a 5D or Mark IIN yeah? haha

Quote Originally Posted by ernie_ng81
    Sorry, what did you mean by deep second hand market?
    deep as in lots of buyers and sellers, and high availability of items.

I used to own the Nikon D100, then crossed over to Olympus C-5050Z. I loved the colors of Olympus's, and subsequently sold my D100 and my Nikon lenses then. At that time, Nikon D100 just need too much twisting on PS to get a good decent photo. Anyway, after C-5050Z, I went on to C-7070WZ. Olympus continue to blow me off! I would have taken the plunge to buy the E-300, but can't justify as I have both the C-5050 and C-7070. Now, I'm very tempted to take the plunge into DSLR again, and looking at E-500 and the Zuiko 14-54 f2.8-3.5 lens...

Pros and cons of Oly DSLR systems, I believed reviews have said enough. But I would recommend potential camera buyers to consider Olympus DSLR's. The Zuiko 11-22 and 14-54 lenses are excellent, and comparable with equivalent Nikon's and Canon's.

My personal opinions.
    Last edited by eric69; 3rd November 2005 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I used to own the Nikon D100, then crossed over to Olympus C-5050Z
    Wasnt that like a downgrade???

HAHAHAHAHA... sorry i can't help laughing....

*pointing below.. look at my signature

Wasnt that like a downgrade???
    Nope, don't see it that way lah.

Of course, there's many reasons why I went from Nikon D100 to Oly C-5050Z. But mainly, after I bought the Oly I realised that the pictures it produced can be printed without much twisting on PS (Don't get me wrong, but Nikon D100 is capable of producing good pictures as well, but I tend to send too much time on the PC than taking pictures). So I ended up using more of my Oly's. The more I used, the more I like the Oly colors.

I think potential DSLR buyers should consider the Oly's DSLR, instead of just considering the usually major brands...
    Last edited by eric69; 1st November 2005 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Nope, didn't see it that way lah. Of course, there's many reason why I went from Nikon D100 to Oly C-5050Z. After I bought the Oly, I realised that the pictures it produced can be printed without much twisting on PS (Don't get me wrong, but Nikon D100 is capable of producing good pictures as well, but I tend to send too much time on the PC than taking pictures). So I ended up using more of my Oly's. The more I used, the more I like the Oly colors.
    Lately, I have the opportunity to use the E-100 for a travel trip, and the colors were excellent. And I believed E-500 can be excellent as well..
    Er... got E-100 meh... If Yes I want to see it....

he probably meant E-300. Olympus did have a E-100 which can shoot 15 frames per second and unmatched by any DSLR to date.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...e100rs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    he probably meant E-300. Olympus did have a E-100 which can shoot 15 frames per second and unmatched by any DSLR to date.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...e100rs-review/
    Oh Thanks.

BTW I think eric69 own E-1 which I "play" his b4...
    Last edited by Merciless_Knight; 1st November 2005 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless_Knight
    Er... got E-100 meh... If Yes I want to see it....
    HAHA....i think he probably meant E-300? typo errors common yeah?

For myself, my respect for Olympus daring spirit in adopting a radical approach in designing a digital-specific imaging system & presenting how key challenges are addressed got me on board. Since Olympus colour reputation preceded the E-System from their Camedia digicams, the extension of this attribute came as a bonus for me :-)

The E-System remains in its infancy & having missed out on the AF SLR era technologies, Olympus has some catchup to do in matching flash technologies & focus response of its competitors. But for what's available now, there's little to ask of in the present lineup for day-to-day shooting. The jewel of the E-System lies in the images produced by Zuiko Digitals kept pristine by the dust shaker :-).

The affordable E500 really has a lot to grow from with photography. That leaves the eye, heart & head of the photographer to materialize the image before the viewfinder. I've seen the works by student, my respect for his works comes not from the analog or digital tools he holds. When I go wow seeing his works, gear is not the first thing that comes to mind, but creativity & technique.

Cheers,
    Last edited by chancy; 1st November 2005 at 11:23 PM.

HAHA....i think he probably meant E-300? typo errors common yeah?
    My apology. I meant E-300. Went on a trip lately with a studio friend. Used his E-300 and kit lens. Very satisfied with the pictures produced by the kit lens. But I very amazed by the picture quality produced by Zuiko 11-22.

Fellow clubbsnapper TOMCAT did many excellent photos with his E-300 cam.
    Last edited by eric69; 1st November 2005 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khnglh
    HAHAHAHAHA... sorry i can't help laughing....

*pointing below.. look at my signature
    lucky is not...

cannot take good picture means cannot take good picture LOR!!!.... dun blame the equipment LOR!!!....
    Last edited by hammer_400; 2nd November 2005 at 01:11 AM.

i like it becos of the colour, superior quality of optics, flexibility (can use other manual lenses via adaptor with metering), reliability & cost.

i waited very long for the E1 price to drop below $3k before i jump. at that time no other brands make a DSLR below $3k thats trouble/bug free, not to mention weather seals. (think even as of writing)

of cos a lot to do with personal preference also. this is my very first Olympus cam.

hope u enjoy ur purchase as much as i have enjoyed mine.

The E-300 was my first entry into the world of DSLRs, so far it has served me very well. I've only got the kit lens + the budget zoom lens. Both of them are superb performers for their cost!

Which part of UK are you in ernie_ng81? Might be cheaper to get it online. Don't go to places like Jessops...they chop people one....

Quote Originally Posted by Sp9914957
    Can you explain what you mean, as a photographer, this is a very irresponsible sentence coming out from ur mouth

i dun understand your statement as well?

if your pictures suck dun blame the equipment, simple as that, blame your lack of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    The E-300 was my first entry into the world of DSLRs, so far it has served me very well. I've only got the kit lens + the budget zoom lens. Both of them are superb performers for their cost!

Which part of UK are you in ernie_ng81? Might be cheaper to get it online. Don't go to places like Jessops...they chop people one....
    Studied at Bath but now working in Basingstoke, somewhere pretty near london. Or even better, Salisbury. heard of it? STONEHENGE.. where i think LOTR was also filmed? am i right? haha...

and yeah, iv always been lookin online but so far still more ex because of the damned VAT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast