Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather-proof Paradox

aiyo... why worry? i had used my ex-EOS 300 plus a EF 28-105mm lens in a light drizzle with no ill-aftereffects.

Originally posted by siow gongzi

I'm not suggesting makers to make a pro cam for diffrent sitation. I'm simply proposing to see how a non-wp variant is welcome.

Imagine tomorrow there is this full-featured $2400 dynax 9 and a non-WP dynax 9 costing $500 less displayed side by side on the shelf, which one will be sold faster and more popular?
    You're making an unrealistic proposal based on your personal wish list on what a camera should be. Granted that your wish came true, what's next? Someone will say I don't really need MLU, so why not do away with it and sell a cheaper camera? Another guy comes in and say, I don't need 8fps. Can I have one without 8fps and pay $500 less? Of course not!! Where does it end? How many can these manufacturers satisfy?

Like it or not, things comes in a package. You buy the camera, you buy the whole package. If budget doesn't allow, then go for the next camera in the line. Simple.

hihi aren't the eos 3 and f100 supposed to be the non-WP versions, feature set quite close...

what about taking it the other way? I need 16 fps, can I add another $500?
    like kit says, personalising something that's already low-sales (i.e. niche mkt) will be impractical...

BUT I think gold+platinium+swarovski lenses and bodies for leica wd be the next step LOL...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx
    like kit says, personalising something that's already low-sales (i.e. niche mkt) will be impractical...

BUT I think gold+platinium+swarovski lenses and bodies for leica wd be the next step LOL...
    It is exactly the reason of boosting the sales that a non-wp variant shall be marketed.

You guys have gone a little extreme, I don't mean to see a customizable camera. I just throw the idea of having a non-wp pro cam, since the wp ability mentioned in the last threads is not really reliable, and this feature is not really a must for most of the photographers who would still want the rest of the features a pro cam has. If the elimination of wp means cost saving, sales boosting and welcome by many, why not. It shouldn't offend those already owned the pro cams.

Originally posted by denizenx

talking about personalization, i think many products in the near future to come will be able to be customized.
    today we buy this basic digicam, or mobile phone, tomorrow if we find we need something extra, we just hook up the internet, pay and download that feature.
    so we don't pay for things we don't require.
    For mechanical parts such as the shutter speed, it could be a bit more difficult. maybe we can bring the cam to the shop to add some sort of chips to achieve that purpose.
    Again, it's future.

Hmm, I'm not sure, but perhaps you could try to understand the market and manufacturing process first. Somethings aren't so easy, plus the practical benefit of catering to so many sub-niches makes no sense (it's still more hardware than software).

LOL some toshiba digicam can change the face places already...
    and the nikon d1x(or h) can upgrade the ram buffer... and some nikon bodies can be reprogrammed, like film leader out? focusing screens? so maybe the parts can change too like you say, upgrade a cpu/shutter etc... early kodak digicams had ppl writing games too LOL...

but having a non-WP variant might not drive the price down, due to product segmenting... so if u have a pro body at 3000 and a non-WP pro body at 2800, the presses might buy the 3000 anyway. and since they are the big buyers of pro bodies, maybe that's why there aren't non-WP pro bodies... also that's why u dun see (?m)any WP studio-type bodies, although there might be ppl who would love to shoot large format landscapes in all weather...

as for reliability it depends on how rough u r anyway.. so for pros u usually have the support-pack of insurance and quick servicing, and of course backup equipment...

Making a body weatherproof is not an easy task, it requires the use of O-ring gasketing at a minimum and that means major modifications to the internal body design. Switches and command dials etc present their own set of weatherproofing nightmares.

Producing a body with and without such features would mean massive modifications to the tooling for a camera, and the price difference would be more than a few hundred dollars methinks, given the cost of tooling and the relatively low sales volume of SLR bodies. (eg: well under 100,000 units per year per model on average).
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

any experience where the F5 or 1V couldn't handle the weather? besides floods of course...

Plenty. I said that in my earlier post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12