Thread: Back to square one

Default Back to square one

Seems that we are back to the 60s.
    The street hawkers they hv eradicated might hv been more hygienic. Hehehe.

"Singapore's rat problem is showing no signs of letting up. About 6,700 complaints were received by the National Environment Agency (NEA) last year, up from around 4,000 in 2014. The number of food outlet inspections also rose from around 140,000 in 2014 to about 148,000 last year, while enforcement actions were taken against over 190 owners, up from 80. - See more at: http://www.gov.sg/news/content/the-s....0AbIGBK0.dpuf

Default Re: Back to square one

Don't just blame the hawkers; customers can play a big part in the control of the rat population.
    Look around and see how "left-over food waste" are discarded

Quote Originally Posted by can100D View Post

"Singapore's rat problem is showing no signs of letting up. About 6,700 complaints were received by the National Environment Agency (NEA) last year, up from around 4,000 in 2014. The number of food outlet inspections also rose from around 140,000 in 2014 to about 148,000 last year, while enforcement actions were taken against over 190 owners, up from 80. - See more at: http://www.gov.sg/news/content/the-s....0AbIGBK0.dpuf
    With the best intention Singapore would never be able to eradicate its rat problem.

It's a cross border situation as the rats are coming from Johore Bharu.
    Last edited by Sion; 25th February 2016 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    With the best intention Singapore would never be able to eradicate its rat problem.

It's a cross border situation as the rats are coming from Johore Bharu.
    slam VEP on the rats, build more rats barriers at the checkpts etc . hehehe

slam VEP on the rats, build more rats barriers at the checkpts etc . hehehe
    Many of the rats from Johore Bharu are great swimmers.

Once landed they hop on MRT to get a free ride to Clark Quay pubs for free spilt beer.

that's over 400 food outlet inspections a day! Impressive
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Rats won't visit you if there is no food. With so many food outlets all over the island, they are the main source of breeding ground.

Since all food outlets require NEA licence. I just cannot understand why licence can be issued without considering how food waste are being handled. Most food outlets do not have proper space for collection and disposal of food waste. this include hawker centres. The focus is always on maximizing space for more stalls.

Most shopping centres don't face this problem. The older ones that convert shop spaces to food have more of such problems. Again, such conversion (change of use) is so easily obtained that I also don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Rats won't visit you if there is no food. With so many food outlets all over the island, they are the main source of breeding ground.

Since all food outlets require NEA licence. I just cannot understand why licence can be issued without considering how food waste are being handled. Most food outlets do not have proper space for collection and disposal of food waste. this include hawker centres. The focus is always on maximizing space for more stalls.

Most shopping centres don't face this problem. The older ones that convert shop spaces to food have more of such problems. Again, such conversion (change of use) is so easily obtained that I also don't understand.
    Exactly what I am saying. They eradicate the hawkers of the 60s saying that they unlicensed. (Equals unhygienic)
    Now they give licences (equals $$$), but does not ensure hygiene.
    You see what I mean?

Exactly what I am saying. They eradicate the hawkers of the 60s saying that they unlicensed. (Equals unhygienic)
    Now they give licences (equals $$$), but does not ensure hygiene.
    You see what I mean?
    The only real reason why they eradicate street stalls is they wan to collect rent and license fees.

What hygiene problems? All of us eat street food while touring Bangkok, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, china, Vietnam, etc. Are we infected with disease or die from street food?

loads of crap from them. And because of their eradication, we are at high risk of losing our local authentic food.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    What hygiene problems? All of us eat street food while touring Bangkok, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, china, Vietnam, etc. Are we infected with disease or die from street food?
    ....Not to mention those street ladies beside street foods too.

Really miss those days when I would go downstairs , ate a bowl of peanut porridge with a plate of fried beehoon. Seats and tables made of recycled wooden boxes.
    Really enjoyed.

Really miss those days when I would go downstairs , ate a bowl of peanut porridge with a plate of fried beehoon. Seats and tables made of recycled wooden boxes.
    Really enjoyed.
    Progressive Singapore cannot allow itself to remain in that era.

Modern elitism will destroy such heartland sentiments.

Fine French cuisines and wine in Marina Sands will replace roadside stalls.
    Last edited by Sion; 5th March 2016 at 08:49 AM.

Progressive Singapore cannot allow itself to remain in that era.

Modern elitism will destroy such heartland sentiments.

Fine French cuisines and wine in Marina Sands will replace roadside stalls.
    Physical changes do not count for progression. It's the inner "software" that we shld see in stages of progression. The civic manners, the laws, the compassion, etc.

Last I rem, we still don't like to clear our plates and bowls after we finished.

We are progressive?

A nice looking apple on the outside doesn't mean it's tasty inside
    Last edited by donut88; 5th March 2016 at 04:58 PM.

I think Sion meant "Progressive" Singapore....

Last I rem, we still don't like to clear our plates and bowls after we finished.

We are progressive?
    In a progressive society they got people to clear the plates and bowls for them.

In a progressive society they got people to clear the plates and bowls for them.
    Yeah, the next example u gonna to quote is in a progressive society, we got maids to carry our soldiers' backpack

Yeah, the next example u gonna to quote is in a progressive society, we got maids to carry our soldiers' backpack
    You're right.

Another example of a progressive society is to have a driver and car to send the soldier to camp.

Last edited by Sion; 6th March 2016 at 09:03 AM.

You're right.

Another example of a progressive society is to have a driver and car to send the soldier to camp.
    God save Singapore if our army goes towards this direction. I will be first to renounce citizenship, take out all CPF and migrate.