Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: bukit timah nature reserve

  1. #1
    Last edited by ninelives; 23rd February 2016 at 11:57 PM.
    Objection !!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    I dont believe it will but they will make a really good show of appearing to consider the nature lovers' case. It just does not seem likely that they will give it a circuitous route, uproot houses and increase the cost for a line that doesnt provide as much economic value in return.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    The island's ecology was fundamentally changed long ago by other men.

    Optimize it maybe? Improve it?
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 24th February 2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    actually they hv decided on the cheaper and faster version liao.

    Just that now they are exploiting the weak point of human selfishness and using those residents, who are concerned of their homes being affected, as human shield to justify their choice. hehehe

  5. #5

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/cross-isla...073258290.html

    Extra 6 mins, quoted Khaw. Will you as a commuter complain about 6 more mins to get to a destination?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/cross-isla...073258290.html

    Extra 6 mins, quoted Khaw. Will you as a commuter complain about 6 more mins to get to a destination?
    Lame excuse to save cost

    We as public and care abt environment shld write petition and tell govt that 6 mins is nothing, if we want to save the environment

  7. #7

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Lame excuse to save cost

    We as public and care abt environment shld write petition and tell govt that 6 mins is nothing, if we want to save the environment
    He is worried about this :

    “Because when the train has a disruption and there’s an extra one minute of delay, within that one minute (commuters) send out maybe 100 tweets to flame LTA or SMRT,” Khaw added.

  8. #8

    Default

    why not just have a vote online and show us the result what majority think.

    that's really communication.

  9. #9

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by Miao View Post
    why not just have a vote online and show us the result what majority think.

    that's really communication.
    That's assuming the majority concerned is aware and actually goes online to vote. Older generation might not be able to do that.

  10. #10

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Don't be fooled..a delay tactic.It going to cost $2B to go around nature reserve.Economy is not doing well currently.Talk about costs 2016 Nday parade is going to cost 2X of marina venue.Why? It's indirect fund injection to Sports hub.Study will take 2 years so tell public to have open mind..haha.
    In 2 yrs. if economy still not postive..frighten people to accept direct cut ( already hinting tunnel
    will be 12 stories under at bedrock level so no harm to nature.I ask you ..how deep are volcanoes
    along ring of fire? Same old story..massage public till song song and forget who their father's name is.

    Edit: What is $2B when GBB ( gardens by the bay) cost $1.3B.An artificial garden for tourists filled with non native plants..just an expensive greenhouse.What giant trees?
    They are heat exhaust pipes for goodness sake.It's all for the economy.

    Sg not fun enough..they give you night entertainment,watering holes collect liqour tax.
    Casinos in guise of integrated resorts.et cetara..tax tax revenue.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 1st March 2016 at 01:31 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Recently the bto for bukit batok is by clearing a lot of trees for the buildings and roads too! Yet no one awares on it. Think should rename to bukit botak one day.

    I think our future will be living in hotter and dryer condition with the development of this country. Maybe first desert in SEA!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Don't be fooled..a delay tactic.It going to cost $2B to go around nature reserve.Economy is not doing well currently.Talk about costs 2016 Nday parade is going to cost 2X of marina venue.Why? It's indirect fund injection to Sports hub.Study will take 2 years so tell public to have open mind..haha.
    In 2 yrs. if economy still not postive..frighten people to accept direct cut ( already hinting tunnel
    will be 12 stories under at bedrock level so no harm to nature.I ask you ..how deep are volcanoes
    along ring of fire? Same old story..massage public till song song and forget who their father's name is.

    Edit: What is $2B when GBB ( gardens by the bay) cost $1.3B.An artificial garden for tourists filled with non native plants..just an expensive greenhouse.What giant trees?
    They are heat exhaust pipes for goodness sake.It's all for the economy.

    Sg not fun enough..they give you night entertainment,watering holes collect liqour tax.
    Casinos in guise of integrated resorts.et cetara..tax tax revenue.
    Gardens by the bay costs 1.3B???! Oh good lord, I didn't even know it!!

    Outrageous!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Gardens by the bay costs 1.3B???! Oh good lord, I didn't even know it!!

    Outrageous!!
    Why not?

    It's made for the tourists. They love it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Recently the bto for bukit batok is by clearing a lot of trees for the buildings and roads too! Yet no one awares on it. Think should rename to bukit botak one day.

    I think our future will be living in hotter and dryer condition with the development of this country. Maybe first desert in SEA!
    Our forests have to make way for progress and development to enhance our first world status. You can't have both.

    Want to see nature? We may have to take a boat to Indonesia to do it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Is there any petition, protest at Hong Lim or other activities with regards to this?

    I'd like to make that minor step by going/adding my name.

  16. #16

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Is there any petition, protest at Hong Lim or other activities with regards to this?

    I'd like to make that minor step by going/adding my name.
    Bottomline is should we let men who are ignorant of and have little respect for nature decide for us and the future generations? As human beings we ARE part of nature.We can take a leaf from Hollywood sci-fi movie Avatar..ignore nature to our peril.Although it's fantasy it has wisdom.Much of today's technology is the result of unlocking nature's secrets.To think technology can replace or conquer nature is false thinking.

    No impact? The sun is far away yet all life on earth and the food we need depends on it.Without sunlight there is nothing we can see of earth's beauty and for that matter the enjoyment of photography hobby.Even the moon not that far away but it affects the ocean's tides.Now a tiny virus called Zika is putting fear into mankind. Time to think for ourselves and not depend on so called smart people. Nature is the foundation matrix..a little sci fi slant..haha.

  17. #17

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Is there any petition, protest at Hong Lim or other activities with regards to this?

    I'd like to make that minor step by going/adding my name.
    Bottomline is should we let men who are ignorant of and have little respect for nature decide for us and the future generations? As human beings we ARE part of nature.We can take a leaf from Hollywood sci-fi movie Avatar..ignore nature to our peril.Although it's fantasy it has wisdom.Much of today's technology is the result of unlocking nature's secrets.To think technology can replace or conquer nature is false thinking.

    No impact? The sun is far away yet all life on earth and the food we need depends on it.Without sunlight there is nothing we can see of earth's beauty and for that matter the enjoyment of photography hobby.Even the moon not that far away but it affects the ocean's tides.Now a tiny virus called Zika is putting fear into mankind. Time to think for ourselves and not depend on so called smart people. Nature is the foundation matrix..a little sci fi slant..haha.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Is there any petition, protest at Hong Lim or other activities with regards to this?

    I'd like to make that minor step by going/adding my name.
    You are asking a irrelevant question (no offence).

    Majority of the sg citizen voted for this government team and we decided/trusted them for doing the job well, be it the current car/housing/education scheme thats rolling out, we must have faith on that, its the best solution for the society. So i really shouldn't see and complain here.

    Each citizen had his chance to vote for his leader every 5yrs, you made your choice then you should stick with it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    ....We can take a leaf from Hollywood sci-fi movie Avatar..ignore nature to our peril.Although it's fantasy it has wisdom.
    Please don't get brainwashed by the American big brothers.

    They want you to preserve your nature and do not progress and develop so that we remain a third world country forever needing their economic aids and military support.


  20. #20

    Default Re: bukit timah nature reserve

    Quote Originally Posted by housewife forever View Post
    You are asking a irrelevant question (no offence).

    Majority of the sg citizen voted for this government team and we decided/trusted them for doing the job well, be it the current car/housing/education scheme thats rolling out, we must have faith on that, its the best solution for the society. So i really shouldn't see and complain here.

    Each citizen had his chance to vote for his leader every 5yrs, you made your choice then you should stick with it.
    If thats your idea of how it works, thats your prerogative.

    At least I do my small part in a petition/etc and not say that I sat at home complain and at the end of the day did nothing at all.

    Keeping quiet is even worse.
    It just means you gave a pat on the back to continue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •