Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moved/Split from Jemapela's "Looking for model" thread

Default Re: Looking for models

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    You make it sound like singapore are behind times.
    In terms of technological infrastructure already in place like the EZ Link card, e-services, etc, Singapore is not behind times.

In terms of social attitudes, acceptance and appreciation of arts, music and sports, it still is behind.

This was also said by MM Lee (then SM Lee) in a new year's day message 2-3 years ago which appeared on the front page of The Straits Times. He reckons, and I too concur, that it will be another 20 years before S'pore reaches to the level of first world countries like US and UK.

I'm not keen on being involved in a lengthy debate/discussion here about this matter hence I may not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I think Johnny Howard will be happy to hear that.

Buy made-in-Australia, fly Qantas and use Aussie models.

Yes, he would be happy.

I admit preferring to buy quality Aussie-made to crappy cheapo Asian-made. I also try to fly Qantas as often I can because of the racial diversity of crew on board. (Besides, I may even be able to approach a white man/woman to model for me.) I also prefer Aussie models anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Maybe some of the "Asian models" in Australia are just as "behind times" as the Singaporean ones?

It may be reverse psychology that the more an Asian moves away from Asia the more Asian and conservative he/she becomes?

I've seen more photos of Singaporean girls in lesser clothings in CS than what I see in Australia (although this is not the reason why I am here ).
    Yes, some Asian Aussies are still fairly conservative even though they live in a country which has Club X on every other city street, and displays sex messages on public billboards. However, some who have open-mindedly embraced the western culture in Australia are, of course, open-minded. Think Lucy Liu.

If you are refering to the Asians who came from Asia to study in Australia universities, many of them are still conservative. They haven't lived long enough in the western culture to liberate their minds, and many persistently keep to their own kind. These Asians are not much different from S'poreans in S'pore, and are generally not the type of Asians I want to work with. However, there exists a very small handful of liberated Asians who will free themselves of Asian constrains when in Australia (or some other western country), and I found at least 3 of such specimens in Aussieland.

Generally, I have noticed on modeling websites that many Asian Aussies or Asians in Aussieland don't do swimwear, lingerie or nudes, just like many S'poreans. These modeling talents' profiles are hardly ever updated with new images or new work.

When such model wannabes don't do this and don't do that, they limit themselves and close their own doors towards work opportunities. Stagnation happens.

In a world which favours Caucasian models and faces (yes that's a fact!), the Asians persistently apply the brakes on their own progress by limiting themselves. (I won't make an apology for this statement because I've seen enough real-life examples in Australia and become so disgusted.)

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Not meant to flame. Just for discussion.

Since you KNOW that such models are few and far between, why do you still expend energy to source for such models here? Even if you find a few "more open-mindedness" models around, you still may not find those to your "specifications".

Assuming you may want to look for Asian models, it seems to me that you
    should be able to find more Asian models over in Melbourne than in Singapore.

How much energy is expended by posting a thread online? I have also clearly described the kind of open-minded models I want (and explicitly indicated that mummy's girls should stay at home) so that I don't waste my life interviewing pretentious time-wasters.

Yes, I believe I can easily find more liberated Asian models in Melbourne than in S'pore but I'm just trying out (testing waters) in S'pore . There might be other Sarong Party Girl types are hiding and seeking in ClubSnap.

Hey, why don't you also test waters? You might be lucky to find someone.

I assure you, and everyone else reading this thread, that if I can't find anyone to fit my criteria, I won't

1) lose sleep,
    2) cry and wail,
    3) jump in front of an oncoming MRT train

I will save my resources and return back to Australia.

isn't it easier to PAY a modelling agency to find the suitable models for your shoot than sourcing ard for FREE models in "outdated" singapore ?

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    isn't it easier to PAY a modelling agency to find the suitable models for your shoot than sourcing ard for FREE models in "outdated" singapore ?
    That's not necessarily true.

There are many good-looking gals who:

1) don't want a career in modeling and the possible fame it may bring
    2) don't know how to join, or haven't joined, an agency yet
    3) have been rejected by agencies
    4) prefer to be self-represented
    5) perform better than a model trained with classroom-taught poses

I have been working with many of such gals (in S'pore and Melbourne), and I assure you that the treasures to be fished and caught in the wider public can be sometimes/often more valuable than the talent pool of an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela

Hey, why don't you also test waters? You might be lucky to find someone.
    Actually, I did!

There are indeed some here who are more liberated. In fact, recently a certain lady nick "mau lovers" made it known in CS that she will pose nude. ANn there are others. But only a handful.

And you do know well that it is not whether a certain model is willing to be more open-minded. There are other considerations such as - in my case, facial features.

So I found it interesting that you are "testing waters" here, when I am now actively seeking models over "down there", and elsewhere.

Actually, I did!

There are indeed some here who are more liberated. In fact, recently a certain lady nick "mau lovers" made it known in CS that she will pose nude. ANn there are others. But only a handful.

And you do know well that it is not whether a certain model is willing to be more open-minded. There are other considerations such as - in my case, facial features.

So I found it interesting that you are "testing waters" here, when I am now actively seeking models over "down there", and elsewhere.
    Yes, I'm aware of this certain lady you speak of. I contacted her but won't comment on our correspondence.

The nude work that she has done with local photographers is a very safe style commonly done in S'pore, and is easily accepted as art. However, the style I have in mind is more liberal and common in western countries which I'm quite sure will scare most S'poreans.

It's also my curiosity to test waters in S'pore. It gives me an indication of the country's attitudes towards nude images.

Your quote Jemapela:

I know very well what kind of characters/talents I'm looking for (and I hope my partner in S'pore knows that too). If we don't find such persons, I'll just happily divert my resources to the more confident, less pretentious, surely open-minded Aussies.

As an Asian female, I find your comments bordering on the offensive. Your idea of being "liberal" is basically - a person who will strip and not feel shy about experimenting ideas of others with HER body. I think it's great that women here are conservative! Women should hold on to their values but then it's the woman's choice, if they are able to strip, great! If not, also great! Why put down Asian women in general? What about men? As long as I have been a photographer, I have not met a male model who would strip in Singapore. But I accept that it is part of the culture here, I don't go around berating how Asian males should be more open, and go around throwing speeches from the PM.

Also verywierd brought up a good point, what is in it for the models? Are you shooting an advertisement using free models? If you are so liberated why don't you pay them, just like Australians would?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    In terms of technological infrastructure already in place like the EZ Link card, e-services, etc, Singapore is not behind times.

In terms of social attitudes, acceptance and appreciation of arts, music and sports, it still is behind.

This was also said by MM Lee (then SM Lee) in a new year's day message 2-3 years ago which appeared on the front page of The Straits Times. He reckons, and I too concur, that it will be another 20 years before S'pore reaches to the level of first world countries like US and UK.

I'm not keen on being involved in a lengthy debate/discussion here about this matter hence I may not reply.
    For a moment, i thought u are suggesting MM telling every singaporean to strip...

To be 1st world countries, does not mean being liberal... values need to be reinforced, technology & thinking (about better living & standards) enhanced.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I see your home page, and i got nothing er...............................to comments.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......................................
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

ayiya....

are you trying to make yourself 'famous' here in the local scene by becoming 'infamous'?? If you are that good, make something extraordinary out of the ordinary!

btw, your photos are......................... **no comments**.........

Can I ask you a question? How many personal exhibitions have you held? Perhaps it can give us a better insight of you. Sorry ah, can't find it in your profile page. And I am also a member of Clubsnap leh!! Yeah!!! *Better go announce to all my friends and relatives....

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    ayiya....

are you trying to make yourself 'famous' here in the local scene by becoming 'infamous'??
    Looks that way after all the OT comments the OP himself initiated. And seems he is achieving that, at the very least the infamous part.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    ayiya....
    btw, your photos are......................... **no comments**.........
    now that others have brought it up, well, since I am not a pro, I will say, aboslutely not my cup of tea.

One thing though, he has the guts to start this thread. I give that to him.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Personally, I find "challenging" another person "works" to be uncalled for, and in my view, juvenile.

Taste is highly subjective and personal. Whether one likes another's images is immaterial. Whether one has any exhibitions to his credit is irrelevant.

I recalled a certain member of this forum who criticised others whose images that are out of focus and showing abstracts as "not art" (implication). Of course this particular member have absolutely no idea of great masters like Ralph Gibson and Bill Brandt.

Jemapela had merely tried to recruit models for his kind of photography. I think he made his terms very clear. The models are of age, and have a right to decide for themselves if the terms are acceptable to them.

One may disagree with him on issues like openness etc. One may not like his style of imagery. One is also entltled to feel that in this "recruitment" the model may be at the "raw" end. Fair enough. But these should not be reasons to challenge his photography.

not to flame too, i feel tat Jem's use of words r unfriendly & sacrastic 2 *hmm* singaporeans.. maybe he has been "bitten" by a "singapore dog" b4 ..

Not meant to flame. Just for discussion.

Since you KNOW that such models are few and far between, why do you still expend energy to source for such models here? Even if you find a few "more open-mindedness" models around, you still may not find those to your "specifications".

Assuming you may want to look for Asian models, it seems to me that you
    should be able to find more Asian models over in Melbourne than in Singapore.

I hv read about him b4.. basically, he has his unhappiness back in Singaporea but 2 tok in such tone in a frenly forum like CS is really childish & uncall for ... looks like he can't get over it wif the torn in his heart

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    For a moment, i thought u are suggesting MM telling every singaporean to strip...

To be 1st world countries, does not mean being liberal... values need to be reinforced, technology & thinking (about better living & standards) enhanced.

Quote Originally Posted by yhlee
    I hv read about him b4.. basically, he has his unhappiness back in Singaporea but 2 tok in such tone in a frenly forum like CS is really childish & uncall for ... looks like he can't get over it wif the torn in his heart
    where to read?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

hi jem

just visited ur website. read some of ur insights from 'Unsuitable For Your Viewing'.
    its a very good read with some exciting personal views on Singapore and Singaporeans.

as for nude models, most of the time one have to pay for their services. i remember my former school, LASALLE-SIA, paying the models for their services even though they might be back-packers etc.

i'm afraid that u should be prepared to pay for such services.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

where to read?
    his personal webby la. from his personal profile.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

where to read?
    Tanamera by Noel Barber is about him and his lost love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast