Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter preparations for cam?

Default Re: Winter preparations for cam?

i heard stories of 10d hanging in winter

hee

I am also going to korea in Dec21 also following tour

so many people going. Bringing my E1 + 14-54 + FL36 along. Hoprfully not too heavy. Thinking of bringing my tripod but dunno how to carry it around for LONG PERIODs of time. quite uncomfortable lugging a tripod all the time huh.

Any of you bringing tripod?

yah im prob bringing my slik 330dx + 486rc2 head.

anyone has suggestion whether to carry in tripod bag or use optech strap? the optech is ard $20 rite?

I'm going to korea too druring Xmas period.
    Taking my tripod with me, carrying it along with my Lowepro Rover AW II.
    Maybe you could do likewise and bring ur tripod with camera bagpack, if u have one.

I am using a shoulder sling bag and it is quite uncomfortable already with my current gear so don't want to add the tripod weight to my shoulder sling. the optech strap sounds interesting but will the tripod bounce around when you are walking...

OR maybe ask my wife to carry

LOL

last sat i saw one guy (could be a CSer) at botanics carrying a white lens. i think its a 200mm L prime. then his poor wife behind carrying a fully open tripod

hmm u mean the rover got special space to hold tripod ?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I am also going to korea in Dec21 also following tour

so many people going. Bringing my E1 + 14-54 + FL36 along. Hoprfully not too heavy. Thinking of bringing my tripod but dunno how to carry it around for LONG PERIODs of time. quite uncomfortable lugging a tripod all the time huh.

Any of you bringing tripod?
    Great Olympian! Do show us your takes upon your return.

Both my Olympus cameras E-10 and E-300 (w/14-45) survived winter condition in UK, US and Germany.

Short light tripods could be useful for long-exposure night shots. Otherwise, quite a burden not justifying the efforts to use it just for the very few shots.

I found the polariser gave very nice deep blue sky tone to my landscape shots. Helped to keep out the snowy reflections.

The biggest problem faced was my finger numbness out in the cold. Test out your camera with your gloves on.

Happy holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    LOL

last sat i saw one guy (could be a CSer) at botanics carrying a white lens. i think its a 200mm L prime. then his poor wife behind carrying a fully open tripod

hmm u mean the rover got special space to hold tripod ?
    Yes the Rover AW II has a special hidden fold-out tripod holder that holds the base of the tripod while the bag's bungee cord keeps the tripod in place. See lowepro.com for the pic of how the tripod is put at the front of the Rover AW II

decided to bring F828 instead......cos seems not recommended to change lenses...
    and F828 has the most versatile zoom at F2.8....
    and F828 has wider storage temp range......can take up to -20 degrees......
    besides easier to dump F828 in bag cos only dismantle flash and cam..
    if 300d then need to dismantle flash , cam and lens....
    and considering the bulky winter clothes...think i try to bring less cam equipment....

i'm going to japan during the christmas period.
    any idea how low the temperature can get?
    what kind of camera bag can i bring to protect the camera?

wah baiyun....u seriously leavin ur 300D at home? cannot be right? i just read my 350D manaul, it can operate even in zero degree temp, just tt batt life drops by 25%.

how cold in japan depends on which part ur going to. if ur going to Hokkaido...good luck

i think is just the captial only tokyo...how cold can it get under 15 degrees?

hehe...but i just buy 300d leh...altho 2nd hand...
    dun wanna risk spoiling it for this trip......if come back got problem..my $$$ gone leh....
    next yr hols bring it for a better weather trip..

better to use F828....since i still got the Harvey norman warranty....may as well fully utilize my F828.......if come back got problem still can send for repair or better still, replace a newer cam for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84
    i think is just the captial only tokyo...how cold can it get under 15 degrees?
    if you'r egoing to Tokyo during the last weeks of Dec (approaching Jan), its definitely going to be lower that 15 deg. Expect it to be ard 6deg av high and maybe even below 0 for av low!

Check ur camera manuals to see how the camera operates in vv low temp. Usually manufacturers give a 'playsafe' value when quoting the operating temp. For example, if ur manual says the camera operating temp is 0-40 deg, it probably actually is -10 to 50 deg. It's just like how Gardenia says their bread will only last for, say 7days, before it expires, but u realise that consuiming it even on the 8th 9th day, still no prob!

Lithium batteries definitely work better than alkaline, sometimes 4 times better in extreme cold.

keep your spare batteries warm in your own body, and take out the camera when it is necessary. even if it is winter, it is unlikely that you will be exposed to the cold over prolonged periods of time unless you are in the wilderness.

condensation is a pretty irritating thing. even with the ziploc, it take a while for the temperature to equalize. that is when you end up missing up all the shots. in times like this, i rather rub the lens with my gloves while taking that crucial shot in a warmer environment..

I just wonder if in addition of ziplock bag, place some drying agent inside the ziplock bag, will it be useful.

You can buy those camera-bags with thick paddings to store your cam while you are moving around. The thick paddings help to allow the camera to warm up and cool down slowly to prevent fogging on your lens. Before moving in from a hot to cold environment or vs verse, just make sure you store the camera back into the camera bag. That should solve you the headache of bringing along ziplock bags.

But my own trick is to bring two cameras, one to be used outdoor and the another "indoor". Both keep in Ziploc bags and keep in bags just before moving from one env to another env.
    Last edited by eric69; 9th November 2005 at 04:28 PM.

If i need to use the cam when I move into a warm place, I can't take it out to use immidately rite

for fogging..just wipe. doesnt take much time. it will fog again but subsequently the fogging intensity will drop quickly; i.e after a few wipes, will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    for fogging..just wipe. doesnt take much time. it will fog again but subsequently the fogging intensity will drop quickly; i.e after a few wipes, will be ok.
    will it fog inside the lens... this is the one that worry me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast