Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to store equipment?

Deregistered

Default Re: How to store equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Canew
    Thanks espn, oh no! I wonder what damage have I done to my lenses! But I have never stash in the camera right after shooting. I normally keep it a few hours outside upon my return - hopefully that the strap have dried then.
    It won't hurt, but it will only take the cabinet/box longer to absorb the excess moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    It won't hurt, but it will only take the cabinet/box longer to absorb the excess moisture.
    Whew! Thanks again espn. That's a comforting thought.

Thanks espn, oh no! I wonder what damage have I done to my lenses! But I have never stash in the camera right after shooting. I normally keep it a few hours outside upon my return - hopefully that the strap have dried then.
    Dun worry, i put my camera inside my camera bag, and then put my camera bag inside my dry box LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    Dun worry, i put my camera inside my camera bag, and then put my camera bag inside my dry box LoL
    Wah! Lmodel, that means you have a very BIG dry box loh!

Wah! Lmodel, that means you have a very BIG dry box loh!
    Could be a very small camera bag...
    (joking)

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Could be a very small camera bag...
    (joking)
    Haha you are right in a way! The camera bag is only to store my Canon S2 with some cleaning kits, spare batteries and extra cards. However, after I place the bag in, I still have abt 30% of spaces left.

Cheers

I recently bought some new lenses and am visiting Singapore and Malaysia at the moment.
    If I don't use a dry cabinet, will fungus grow? :|

S&M very high humility. u be safer if u bring along a portable dry cabinet to store your gears.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I recently bought some new lenses and am visiting Singapore and Malaysia at the moment.
    If I don't use a dry cabinet, will fungus grow? :|

I'm already here, been here for a week! whats the best way to avoid this?? I'm scared for my new lenses. If I store it away in cupboard and not use it, will it be better?

I'm already here, been here for a week! whats the best way to avoid this?? I'm scared for my new lenses. If I store it away in cupboard and not use it, will it be better?
    since it's only going to be temporary, it doesn't have to be a fancy container. you can use one of those plastic storage boxes with a sealed lid. make it more air tight by getting a roll self adhesive door seal from hardware shop. A bottle of silica gel from a camera shop will set you back about 4 or 5 bucks. pour the gel into an old sock before popping it into the box with your gear. i used this method while i was in singapore, managed to keep my gear dry for a few weeks before re-heating the gel to dry them up again.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Just relax, I keep my D50, lenses & flash in my bag and bring it with me when I go out. Humidity in Singapore is higher than in Australia, but it's not that bad. Just use your camera to take photos, and clean your camera when you can, say once a week. Should be ok.

If you are really scared, like whatpatch17 suggested, get those portable boxes with silica gel and store them temporarily. else you can always buy a dry cabinet, use it, and then sell to some of us poor souls here in B&S when you go back...

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Just relax, I keep my D50, lenses & flash in my bag and bring it with me when I go out. Humidity in Singapore is higher than in Australia, but it's not that bad. Just use your camera to take photos, and clean your camera when you can, say once a week. Should be ok.

If you are really scared, like whatpatch17 suggested, get those portable boxes with silica gel and store them temporarily. else you can always buy a dry cabinet, use it, and then sell to some of us poor souls here in B&S when you go back...
    IMHO, cleaning the camera and lenses will not prevent fungus to growth. Remember, you are not cleaning the lenses' elements where the fungus like to growth.

Singapore's humidity is always more than 70%RH. That's bad for camera and lenses. Keep camera and lenses in air conditioning room is better since the RH in air conditioning room is lower than outside.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 27th December 2005 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions
    I put my lenses in my mother's tupperware last night;
    then will probably get some silica gel when I go to Singapore - I'm not sure where to find it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    Not a good idea Lmodel, humidity inside the dry cabinet can vary from one location to the other since there is no air movement inside (unless you have a fan inside). So if you keep your camera inside your bag and then keep it inside your dry cabinet, it will only serve to keep the outside of your bag dry while the contents in your bag (especially if you zip it up) will retain the ambient humidity.
    That is why it is also recommended not to overcrowd your dry cabinet, but to allow enough space for air flow (having a little fan to circulate the air inside would be much better).
    Keep your most precious items like lenses on the shelf nearest the dehumidifier.

If you don't believe me, put a seperate hygrometer in the bag and check it after a while to see the difference in the humidity readings.

Eh.. wat if you bring your camera out quite often...

then it doesn't matter right?

I dont have any dry box!

Fungus grows best in areas with warm, humid and stale environment (ie. no movement of air). So if you do not have a dry cabinet, leave it out in the open where there is air movement which will not allow the pollens to settle in the first place. Of course, then you will have to contend with dust on your equipment. So the best advise is to keep using it even the dust won't have a chance to settle.

That's the best place for fungus to thrive.

oh no
    so best to bring it out here with me, since in tupperware, theres no air movement.
    but no air movement should be ok if I put silica gel?

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    Fungus grows best in areas with warm, humid and stale environment (ie. no movement of air). So if you do not have a dry cabinet, leave it out in the open where there is air movement which will not allow the pollens to settle in the first place. Of course, then you will have to contend with dust on your equipment. So the best advise is to keep using it even the dust won't have a chance to settle.
    with lens caps off?

with lens caps off?
    Ok, to summarize, take the lens cap off, stand the lens vertically, front downward, put inside a dry cabinet, temperature 20-25degC, humidity 45-55%, have constant air movement, but dust-free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast