Thread: Vortex in the sky

Default Vortex in the sky

Vortex in the Sky by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would appreciate your critique on all aspects of the photo.
    The composition, the processing and overall image.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to present a rather sombre and morose version of the scene.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Was out on CNY 16 day 2 in the hopes of capturing a nice sunrise but was rather disappointed that the sun was a no show. The silver lining in the cloud (pun intended) was that I was presented this scene at roughly 7am when the street lights got switched off, throwing the entire scene in relative darkness except for a small bright patch in the sky right atop the building. It reminded me of a UFO, a vortex (hence the title) and even the swirling portal on top the building in the final scene against the last boss from the first Ghostbusters movie. The still waters also helped add to the scene.

Went home and processed the photo. 2 image DRI. Enhanced the brightness of the "vortex". Pulled more shadow to extend dynamic range. Brightened the foreground, waters and building a little.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

I like it. But it isn't perfect. Need your help to guide me in the right direction.

Cheers and Happy CNY to all!

Default Re: Vortex in the sky

Suggestions :

Place more emphasis on the shape of the building and the cloud opening.
    So crop away the tree leaves which distracts. (would have been best if you could compose w/o it in the first place)
    Pull the highlights to show off the cloud opening.

Agree with JK on cropping away the leaves and a tighter framing.
    e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Agree with JK on cropping away the leaves and a tighter framing. e.g.
    Thanks Zaren for the revised crop. It does seem like a good improvement! Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Suggestions : Place more emphasis on the shape of the building and the cloud opening. So crop away the tree leaves which distracts. (would have been best if you could compose w/o it in the first place) Pull the highlights to show off the cloud opening.
    Thanks for the suggestions pinholecam. I did get another set of shots without the leaves in the frame. But I lost the blue lights and the clouds by then unfortunately.

I'll try pulling more highlights from the clouds, though. Great idea. Thanks.

Hope you don't mind I did some editing on your image, let me know to take it down if you want

I like the symmetrical opening of the sky above Reflections at Keppel Bay so I kept the sky but cloned out the leaves. I also brightened the shadows a bit more to show more foreground details, and increased contrast in the sky. I also cropped out some of the foreground to give more emphasis on the sky.

My edit I feel is more dramatic, however if you want to keep your sombre feel probably can darken this edit a bit more to taste.
    Just a quick edit and some editing flaws can be seen heh... but just my 2 cents and open to discussion

Thanks Norman for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Hope you don't mind I did some editing on your image, let me know to take it down if you want I like the symmetrical opening of the sky above Reflections at Keppel Bay so I kept the sky but cloned out the leaves. I also brightened the shadows a bit more to show more foreground details, and increased contrast in the sky. I also cropped out some of the foreground to give more emphasis on the sky. My edit I feel is more dramatic, however if you want to keep your sombre feel probably can darken this edit a bit more to taste. Just a quick edit and some editing flaws can be seen heh... but just my 2 cents and open to discussion Thanks Norman for sharing!
    Heya. Great idea. I like how you cloned out the leaves. Nicely done. And you managed to keep it somewhat symmetrical too. Nice. I was thinking about that but I didn't want to go through the hassle. Thanks for sharing your version!

Cheers!