Thread: Landscape - Abstract

Default Landscape - Abstract

Hi guys,

Took a picture on my way back from Funan with my D50. Here's the setting information:

Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
    Lens: 50mm F/1.8 D
    Focal Length: 50mm
    Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/50 sec - F/13
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Direct Print
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-A
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: +3
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpening: Medium high
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

Did nothing to the picture except resizing using Photoshop. Please comment.

Thanks.

Default Re: Landscape - Abstract

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrick
    Hi guys,

Took a picture on my way back from Funan with my D50. Here's the setting information:

Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
    Lens: 50mm F/1.8 D
    Focal Length: 50mm
    Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/50 sec - F/13
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Direct Print
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-A
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: +3
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpening: Medium high
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

Did nothing to the picture except resizing using Photoshop. Please comment.

Thanks.
    hi bro, dunnoe whether you have seen my photo on Jesus....?

the stature of JESUS is right in that building you just shot

hi,
    if you could tell us more about what you were trying to shoot, what are you trying to say with this picture etc. etc., the people here might be able to give you better tips

Quote Originally Posted by vkashi
    hi,
    if you could tell us more about what you were trying to shoot, what are you trying to say with this picture etc. etc., the people here might be able to give you better tips
    I am trying to capture a landscape picture, trying out some composition. Very new to landscape photography, hence trying out here.

Perhaps, you guys can give me advice on the composition and is the setting on my camera correct to take such a scene?

Thanks.

hihi, i like the building personally. However feel tat the tree covered it up abit too much. I also like the road leading my attention to the house. Maybe can include abit more backgrd of the trees or sky behind the building to get a more "nature" kindda feel?

Just my 2 cents

i shot this place be4 too.. its really2 cool. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=157115

1 This is not an abstract. It is an uninteresting image of a colonial house.

2 Few would be interested in looking at the "settings". "Settings" might be of interest if there are special elements in your image that require special ways of photographing.

3 When you photograph this building, what was the thing that attracted you? What was the thing that moved you to want to photograph this house? In any image, whether landscape or people or street photographs, there should always be something that interest you, that move you. That arouse in you an emotion that you want to put to your sensor. Then try to put that in your sensor.
    Last edited by student; 31st October 2005 at 07:54 AM.

to continue with what student said, you could shoot this differently to convey different meanings. some that i can think of are-
    1) if you want to show the seat and the tree to convey tranquility or lonliness, then i would move much closer and hide the building and shoot just the bench and the tree with low light preferably at dawn or dusk.
    2) if you want to show a path and movement towards something, then the path has to lead to an interesting object. in this case the house itself is interesting but i think it is not unique enough to hold the directionality of the path. in case you had something interesting, i would move back further to show more of the path and the building/object itself should recede in the distance.
    3) if you are focusing on home-happiness kind of thing, then you need people in your shot- preferably children playing and running around.
    4)shooting architecture? then dont hide the building.

all of us learn by photographing, so i guess just like me you could also keep shooting till your shots become interesting.

Thanks Guys...!

Hi Aldrick,

Don't be too discouraged by the comments though. There are some interesting elements seen in the picture too, like the strong line cutting from the foreground and turning to the right at the mid-ground, with a lovely illuminated bench to mark the turn. Strong lines, especially intersecting ones, would usually make lovely landscape pictures. So, keep a lookout for the lines as well as the subject, the lighting and the overall colour/tone. Not easy huh?

The strong harsh afternoon light doesn't do good to your photo. try again in the goldern period, just when the sun is setting or rising.

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic
    i shot this place be4 too.. its really2 cool. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=157115
    and you miss out on all the beautiful statures behind?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat
    Hi Aldrick,

Don't be too discouraged by the comments though. There are some interesting elements seen in the picture too, like the strong line cutting from the foreground and turning to the right at the mid-ground, with a lovely illuminated bench to mark the turn. Strong lines, especially intersecting ones, would usually make lovely landscape pictures. So, keep a lookout for the lines as well as the subject, the lighting and the overall colour/tone. Not easy huh?
    Thanks...! But I am a newbie here... What are 'lines' you referring to...? You mean the light rays from the sun...?

Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    The strong harsh afternoon light doesn't do good to your photo. try again in the goldern period, just when the sun is setting or rising.
    Does sun setting or rising gives a warm feeling to the landscape due to the colours of the rays?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrick
    Thanks...! But I am a newbie here... What are 'lines' you referring to...? You mean the light rays from the sun...?
    Lines are objects captured linearly, which lead your eyes to move towards or away from the certain subject. For instance, in this picture, the most obvious line is the path. Your eyes would automatically want to follow the path from the foreground to where it ends.