Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sentosa rules

Default Re: Sentosa rules

I had a similar experience also, but at CHIJMES. And I wasn't event taking a photo, just sitting down at somewhere secluded doing a ink and watercolour sketch of the building. Security stopped me.

Reason: No commercial activities allow on private property, photography or whatever.

I just left as I don't want to waste time arguing with people who don't have common sense.

In Singapore, our exams do not test for common sense. When in doubt, follow the rules, follow the hierarchy, ask for permission, check back, follow orders, do not use your initiative, do not listen to reason, do not care whether you look stupid or not.
    Anyway, the real reason is those property owner don't want you to make money without giving them some.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    That's not required, in the same way as walking on the pavement or talking to other people in the public does not require any permission. But what is required in the Common LAW (SG uses this as baseline of the legal system) is a statement (law or sign) if something is not permitted. So far the baseline. But there are many grey areas and TS has just stepped into one. Now, both side have their points: a certain type of photography requires a tripod setup (although still non-commercial) and the management does not allow commercial photography without permit (besides other legal / commercial reasons) exactly because it usually comes with a bigger setup.
    To me, the solution is: talk. If TS wants to do this type of photography that requires a tripod setup and will be placed there for extended period of time then it's best to get the management informed and have their agreement. Communication is the key. The moment some security guards step into it the discussion already heads thew wrong way.

Security guards are just carrying out the orders passed down to them, such orders are from the property management office, the security guards have no power to override it. and if they choose to look the other way and let the photographer do whatever he pleases, the security guards might lose their jobs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

To most people taking photos or whatever timelapse, photography is just a hobby to them, for some fun and entertainments.
    But to the poor security guards, their livinghood are depend on whether are they doing their jobs properly.

So photographers, just try to remember about Muthu the security guard when you go out to take photos. Be more considerate about what you are doing.

don't forget, when one photographer misbehaved in the public, most people will think all photographers are like that.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

+1 @ catchlights
    Most security personnel patrolling the premises are just doing what they've been instructed according to their SOP. Taking issues directly with them is hardly effective. If you feel unfairly treated, suggest u write in to RWS.
    Most security I know are reasonable folks if we treat them with respect and don't make life difficult for them.

Looking "pro" has its pros and cons when shooting in public places.

Share something which happened to me during DTL2 open house:

I was shooting timelapse at the first train carriage into the tunnel. Wearing black with tripod and lenskirt setup makes me look really "official". Passengers around me certainly thinks so. "Official photographer" they were muttering.
    Good thing: Nobody dares to disturb me. Bad thing: Caught attention of the staff.

One of them MRT folks happened to be in the same carriage saw me and communicated with his office. He approached me and asked if I am shooting a video. He has checked and videos of the tunnel are not allowed.

I played the fool, act blur, told him I am doing timelapse, not shooting video (technically true). Assured him results will be series of blurred out shots so shouldn't be issue. Also proceed to tell him MRT website says okay to do non-commercial shoot within their premises (also technically true) and in any case, other folks already uploaded similar footages to Youtube. All the time I was smiling and friendly. The guy said they can't control if people were shooting using handphones, but I guessed he saw that he doesn't have a strong case so ended went back to his seat.

After I finished, I hesitated whether to show him preview shots for reassurance. Thought better of it, just ended up GTFO.
    Last edited by CamInit; 10th February 2016 at 03:00 PM.

Pro cameras are nothing nowadays as there are better phone and action camera are producing 4k but not for DSLR, some even don't have video function. Therefore, shouldn't all recording devices should be ban on train also?
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Therein lies the disconnect between what non-photographers and photographers know and expect about photography. While we can snigger at the others' ignorance, the reality is that they form the majority and things in life are never as clearcut as one would hope.

Conclusion: LLST and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    So photographers, just try to remember about Muthu the security guard when you go out to take photos. Be more considerate about what you are doing.
    The problem is many amateurs like us when they own a DSLR and tripods they think their Ah Kongs own the streets.

When stopped by security guard they will go to photo forum to Kao Pei Kao Bu as if cannot shoot time lapse in Santosa can mati.

They think Muthu's job is fun? Try to do it one day under hot sun and see. Now Muthu's job is made more difficult by recalcitrant time-lapse shooters. He chases one away 10 appear.

Last edited by Sion; 10th February 2016 at 07:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123