Thread: Visiting Prague : Tips and info needed

Default Visiting Prague : Tips and info needed

I have a conference in Prague in the middle of the year, and if anyone has tips on place to see / eat etc, please post

I have done some reading, so I know it's an old town, I feel it has that "Florence" kind of feel, and I will want to visit Cesky Krumov too...

But open to finding little places to chill, have coffee etc..

Thanks
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Visiting Prague : Tips and info needed

Hi Pete,

There's this Restaurant Kolkovna which I found the food to be nice and good. Went there twice during my 3 days in Prague. As for Cesky Krumlov, try this Krčma v Šatlavské ulici just around the town square. Cheers!

Check out Prague castle (love the golden lane) for photography and Charles bridge.

Do NOT take a taxi unless accompanied by a local or someone who can speak fluent Czech. Stick to the buses and trams for getting from the airport to the city and getting around the city. Bring a map as many streets look similar and its easy to lose your bearings.

Food wise, you must try the duck and local pilsner beer. Also the paprika spice is stronger in Czech Republic, if you use it often in your cooking then do make sure you buy plenty.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Thanks for the info.
    Is there anywhere in SG, I can buy the Czech crown?
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Is there anywhere in SG, I can buy the Czech crown?
    Just get it there

I dunno how much time you have for day-trips (cesky krumlov will take a day trip, though I recommend overnighting)
    but I love Kutna Hora, so another place to check out if u have time :
    http://blog.roving-light.com/2013/01/kutna-hora.html

Thanks!
    I guess I have to save that for another trip..
    I only have one day for a trip out.. it's a part work trip..

Hi,

Just walk around the Prague centre, the renown Prague bridge where they shot the Mission Impossible.

A lot of old architecture is within walking distance.

Stay in tourist area, if you are not familiar with the place. When I was there in year 2000, the (former Eastern Eurpose) republic is opening up and there is still big gap between the Western Europe higher earner and Eastern Eurpose low earner - the police remains corrupt then - stay away from unnecessary trouble IF you are not familiar with the practices - enjoy yourself as a tourist and touristic place.

With handphone GPS, you shouldn't get lost.

If you have time, take a day trip to Karlovy Vary, a better place than Prague, in my opinion.

Unless you have a local Czech company. Have fun!
    Last edited by epalite; 20th June 2016 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks, sitting in my hotel room right now
    Had curry don for my first meal, and now Sichuan hot and spicy soup... I guess you can say there isn't very enticing local food esp on a Sunday night

A hush in Prague as everyone retreated home, only to see their nation lose 0-2.. The streets were deserted, silent save for a few tourists walking home. The quiet atmosphere was only punctuated by sighs and groans as the minutes went by and there were loud cries of anguish when they conceded those two goals..

A nice place to try Czech food on the cheap:
    http://www.havelska-koruna.com/

Places to try in Prague:

Segway tours - use Segway trips : http://segwaytrip.cz/

Cesky Krumlov - best to stay a night if possible : http://www.premiant.cz/eng/

Night cruise with a small city tour - food on board is not bad and the cruise is pretty nice

Negotiate on a free pick up AND return, especially if you have more than four pax.

Things to buy:
    Bata shoes! They are Czech in origin

More info:

Old Town Square, Astronomical Clock, Charles’ Bridge, Old Jewish Quarter, Old New Synagogue & the Golem, Powder Tower, Prague Castle & St. Vitus’ Cathedral, Art Nouveau Municipal House, Powder Tower, Church of Our Lady Before Tyn, Wenceslas Square, St. Nicolas Church…and much, much more!

"Dinner - roast pork at old town square

Trdelník - traditional pastry made from freshly-grilled dough covered with sugar and ground walnuts

Cesky Krumlov: UNESCO site, 16th-century town, subtly lurking upon the Vltava river, English parks and French royal gardens. Take a stroll through the petite labyrinth of a town that is impossible to get lost in. Chateau garden is one of the best places to hang out at. There is no better way than to rent a raft with your friends. Budweiser Budvar brewery. HLUBOKÁ NAD VLTAVOU neo-gothic castle KIV. PÖSTLINGBERG a hill overlooking Linz KIV.

"Kutna Hora: UNESCO listed former silver-mining town. Konopiste gothic castle (four-winged three storey château): chateau garden grounds, magnificent rose garden green houses. MACOCHA GORGE an abyss in Moravia with an underground river boat ride

Ferdinand: eat beef goulash, knedliky (bread dumpling)"

"In a quiet street close to the Kafka Museum - Café Kafíčko serves the best mug of hot chocolate you will ever have