Thread: Shops that you buy bags and memory cards from

Default Shops that you buy bags and memory cards from

Hi all

I know that many of the photographers buy bags and memory cards from Funan. But which shop is quoting the best price (inside or outside Funan), or is it better to wait till PC Show for discounts? Also Lazada is having a very competitive prices.

Regards

Default Re: Shops that you buy bags and memory cards from

In general, there is no single shop that quotes the lowest price. It all depends on the brand and model you are looking for. Some shops may quote high but willing to reduce if you bargain well. Others may quote lower but is fixed price. The only way to find out is to walk around and ask. My experience is that, unless there is a very special promotion at a particular shop, the price variation among the reputable shops are very small.

For memory cards, you can get them from the electronic shops in Sim Lim Square. The price is all posted outside the shop so you can compare. Of course you need to know which specifications you are looking for because the range available are very wide.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaT View Post
    Hi all

I know that many of the photographers buy bags and memory cards from Funan. But which shop is quoting the best price (inside or outside Funan), or is it better to wait till PC Show for discounts? Also Lazada is having a very competitive prices.

Regards
    Memory cards got local warranty and PI import with no warranty.

So make your own judgement

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Memory cards got local warranty and PI import with no warranty.

So make your own judgement
    some of the sales stated there will be a local warranty, is it Singapore warranty?

Hi all

Regards
    What you can do:
    1. Download/collect some pricelists from SLS shops before the PC Show
    2. Wait for PC Show - Check out the pricelists there
    3. Check out prices in Funan
    4. Check out prices on Lazada
    5. Compare . Now you've figured out for yourself which of these 5 sources can give you the best price

- Personally, I usually get memory cards from SLS shops (usually bizgram), cameras from funan, bags from wherever there's a sale. For mem cards specifically, SLS seems (to me) to have the more competitive pricing on local stock memory cards so I've just kept going back (plus local stock). I will still download some pricelists (usually compare cybermind/videopro/bizgram and compare before heading down. But I can't guarantee you that they are always 'quoting the best price'. So best for you to do your research for yourself.

- With lazada, you want to take note of who the seller is. Some cheap prices may be from overseas sellers, grey market stock, etc. If you're the kind of person who values warranty highly, purchase from a local shop with local stock for peace of mind.

- Amazon is sometimes an option for me if I don't need the cards urgently. Recently ordered 5 cards. As always, do your homework, compare prices from all the sources and find out which works out cheaper.

If you want specific advice, you need to ask specific questions. E.g., I'm looking to buy a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s with local warranty... Then you can compare.

some of the sales stated there will be a local warranty, is it Singapore warranty?
    I don't want to be disrespectful but this waranty thing is hilarious.Now wise up..don't just trust it if it says whatever warranty.The responsibility lies with you.Let's look at Sandisk the official
    distributor here is Vector Magnetics Pte.Ltd. Now you really have to check if they are really indeed
    Sandisk's international distributor by checking online at Sandisk.Let's assume Vector is true.

This are conditions which Vector will honour it's warranty:

http://vector-magnetics.com/warranty.html

Here it says:

Vector Magnetics Pte Ltd will only service faulty items purchased from our Authorized Resellers.
    Please present receipt and product packaging with Vector Magnetics Warranty Sticker

Warranty DOES NOT cover Data recovery, physically damaged items, incompatibility to devices or products purchased outside Singapore.

Click here to see the list of our Authorized Dealers

So you must have receipt and original packaging

Failing that they will ask for a small sum to process your RMA ( Return Material Authorisation )
    and send it to Taiwan. See Hardwarezone link:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ha...e-3916814.html

Nowhere does Vector specifically state how long the warranty period is, 1 year or more?

I bought Sandisk Ultra microsdhc UHS-1 card with adapter.It has Vector sticker on the front of packaging but at the back there is round disk stating 10 year warranty.Does it mean I should take Sandisk word for it? Does lifetime warranty really exist?

Let's have some insight to real business in terms of pricing.To make a reasonable profit you would need to markup at least 2.5 times your cost.Using logic do you think 10 year or lifetime warranty
    is viable for a business? As they say it's only marketing even if it's not genuine.Slippery one.
    Just search online for other peoples' experience in claiming warranty.That does not imply Vector
    does not honour genuine failure within short time like days or months.( within reasonable limits and it's stated conditions).

Cards do get them from reputable sellers. there are fake cards around.
    Bags I do sometime get them from lazada or Amazon. Depending on what brand you are after the best place to get them will differ.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post

I don't want to be disrespectful but this waranty thing is hilarious.Now wise up..don't just trust it if it says whatever warranty.The responsibility lies with you.Let's look at Sandisk the official
    distributor here is Vector Magnetics Pte.Ltd. Now you really have to check if they are really indeed
    Sandisk's international distributor by checking online at Sandisk.Let's assume Vector is true.

This are conditions which Vector will honour it's warranty:

http://vector-magnetics.com/warranty.html

Here it says:

Vector Magnetics Pte Ltd will only service faulty items purchased from our Authorized Resellers.
    Please present receipt and product packaging with Vector Magnetics Warranty Sticker

Warranty DOES NOT cover Data recovery, physically damaged items, incompatibility to devices or products purchased outside Singapore.

Click here to see the list of our Authorized Dealers

So you must have receipt and original packaging

Failing that they will ask for a small sum to process your RMA ( Return Material Authorisation )
    and send it to Taiwan. See Hardwarezone link:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ha...e-3916814.html

Nowhere does Vector specifically state how long the warranty period is, 1 year or more?

I bought Sandisk Ultra microsdhc UHS-1 card with adapter.It has Vector sticker on the front of packaging but at the back there is round disk stating 10 year warranty.Does it mean I should take Sandisk word for it? Does lifetime warranty really exist?

Let's have some insight to real business in terms of pricing.To make a reasonable profit you would need to markup at least 2.5 times your cost.Using logic do you think 10 year or lifetime warranty
    is viable for a business? As they say it's only marketing even if it's not genuine.Slippery one.
    Just search online for other peoples' experience in claiming warranty.That does not imply Vector
    does not honour genuine failure within short time like days or months.( within reasonable limits and it's stated conditions).
    Not sure if u have any direct experience in claiming warranty from Vector.

But I had experienced it before with Vector. The service is smooth as butter. No questions asked. And they gave me a new card.

I have no complaints about it.

Of coz no one is going to cover data recovery. Who else does it? Even your Apple or Samsung doesn't cover this with yr phone or tablet.

My info might not be up to-date but this is what I understand.

There are at least 3 distributors for Sandisk products in Singapore.
    Sandisk memory cards (SDCards, in my case) by Vector Magnetics are normally more expensive than other distributors but you will see their sticker, which is more reassuring than taking the word of some random seller, especially with so many fake Sandisk stuff out there. It might be a parallel import as well.

To get the best price, wait for quarterly IT shows and buy from the Sandisk outlet. Usually they will be carrying the VM sticker (check first!) and selling at the same rate as other distributors. So you get peace of mind at the most reasonable price.

Last edited by CamInit; 1st February 2016 at 11:46 AM.

Camera Bags choices are quite personal... It depends which type and style you prefer, then similar to the cards approach.

find three quotes and choose the lowest .

Good Luck!