Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Korea Trip

  1. #21

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Oh, and anyone can tell me if 2 ENEL3 batteries for my D50 are enought to last a day's worth of shooting in freezing cold of korea during the Xmas period?

    feeling kiasu...

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Get those pocket warmers, put in ya pocket or camera bag, and put ya spare batt where its safe, snug, comfortable & warm.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  3. #23
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    anyone tried trekking in the national parks during winter, e.g. Mt Seorak?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    anyone tried trekking in the national parks during winter, e.g. Mt Seorak?
    I think it will be quite insane unless you are a season trekker. Going to be wet and slippery. Right now, they are having the coldest winter in years and winds are really strong in winter there. Without proper guides, I think it will be quite dangerous.

  5. #25
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    I think it will be quite insane unless you are a season trekker. Going to be wet and slippery. Right now, they are having the coldest winter in years and winds are really strong in winter there. Without proper guides, I think it will be quite dangerous.
    will not be going up any peaks. just doing simple trekking routes.

    what if i wanna see snow without much people to block my photography? will the ski resort do? would it be very funny & wasteful to go ski resort and not ski?

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Depends on which ski resort you go to lah... some of them will be packed with all the local visitors, then become very crowded one... If you want to see snow without the crowd, can try waking up a bit earlier. Some of the skii resorts are brightly lit until late at night one. If there's a snowfall during the night, it looks quite different one. ^^

  7. #27

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    will not be going up any peaks. just doing simple trekking routes.

    what if i wanna see snow without much people to block my photography? will the ski resort do? would it be very funny & wasteful to go ski resort and not ski?
    It does depend whether you are lucky to catch any snowfall too...when I went there it started snowing on the next morning around 3+ am and its gets bright around 4+ I think and the view was simply magnificent with the large garden in the middle of the ski resort and all the trees (think pine) and roofs were covered with snow...if I am not wrong it tends to snow more during Jan or Feb so you may wanna go around this time...

    Ski resorts will usually be very crowded so you would have to wake up early as the other guy suggested...but then again theres a high chance that the road to the ski resorts and areas around the ski resorts...the forestation around will be covered in snow so you should have lots to shoot...and since you are there might as well take the chance to try your hand at skiing...

    As for Mt Sorak take the cable up and you can see snow too...

  8. #28
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    It does depend whether you are lucky to catch any snowfall too...when I went there it started snowing on the next morning around 3+ am and its gets bright around 4+ I think and the view was simply magnificent with the large garden in the middle of the ski resort and all the trees (think pine) and roofs were covered with snow...if I am not wrong it tends to snow more during Jan or Feb so you may wanna go around this time...

    Ski resorts will usually be very crowded so you would have to wake up early as the other guy suggested...but then again theres a high chance that the road to the ski resorts and areas around the ski resorts...the forestation around will be covered in snow so you should have lots to shoot...and since you are there might as well take the chance to try your hand at skiing...

    As for Mt Sorak take the cable up and you can see snow too...
    have y'alls tried trekking up to the tottering rock and the waterfalls at outer seorakdong near seorakdong?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    It does depend whether you are lucky to catch any snowfall too...when I went there it started snowing on the next morning around 3+ am and its gets bright around 4+ I think and the view was simply magnificent with the large garden in the middle of the ski resort and all the trees (think pine) and roofs were covered with snow...if I am not wrong it tends to snow more during Jan or Feb so you may wanna go around this time...

    Ski resorts will usually be very crowded so you would have to wake up early as the other guy suggested...but then again theres a high chance that the road to the ski resorts and areas around the ski resorts...the forestation around will be covered in snow so you should have lots to shoot...and since you are there might as well take the chance to try your hand at skiing...

    As for Mt Sorak take the cable up and you can see snow too...

    I thought the sunrise timing of r korea during winter is ard 0730 hrs? Read that off yahoo...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by exhibitj
    I thought the sunrise timing of r korea during winter is ard 0730 hrs? Read that off yahoo...
    Er I rememebr waking up around that time and it was kinda bright......or was it the snow?hmmmmmmm

  11. #31
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Er I rememebr waking up around that time and it was kinda bright......or was it the snow?hmmmmmmm
    is it different time of the year? i saw from somewhere that sunrise is at 740am and sunset abt 540pm.

    since you have taken the cable, do you know what is the starting time and ending time of the cable service? cos i'm planning to go naksansa in the morning, myeongdong port in the noon and to scale the tottering rock and the 2 water falls which will take about 4hrs and about 6hrs conservatively, and i won't be able to fit in a cable at the end of the day (a gd way to end the day with some rest). if i know the time, i can better plan my itinerary.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    is it different time of the year? i saw from somewhere that sunrise is at 740am and sunset abt 540pm.

    since you have taken the cable, do you know what is the starting time and ending time of the cable service? cos i'm planning to go naksansa in the morning, myeongdong port in the noon and to scale the tottering rock and the 2 water falls which will take about 4hrs and about 6hrs conservatively, and i won't be able to fit in a cable at the end of the day (a gd way to end the day with some rest). if i know the time, i can better plan my itinerary.
    I cant remember I am sorry...but I am sure you can find the information easily and quickly if you try out the Virtual Tourist website...if u cant find it do post in the Virtual Tourist forums....usually there will be replies within one or two days...

  13. #33

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    I'm back from my Korea trip. Very impressed with my D50 and the En-E3e Li-ion batts. They survived 3 consecutive days in below 0 deg temp without the need for the batt to be re-charged. Camera never died on me. THROUGHLY impressed! Even my PnS didnt die in the extreme cold.

    have a view of some my JEJU pics on http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=170403


    More pics on my webpage. Thanks alot guys for all your input!

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    HI,

    I AM A KOREAN MALE, LIVING AND WORKING IN SINGAPORE.
    IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTION FOR KOREAN TRIP,
    FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.

    I MAY ADVICE FOR THE EXCELLENT PHOTO SHOOTING PLACE.

    BTW, FOR KOREAN TRIP, YOU SHOULD PREPARE KOREAN WON, NOT US DOLLAR.

    NEVER USE US DOLLAR IN KOREA IN MY LIFE.

    REGARDS,

    JAY PARK

    jaynz@nate.com for email contact.

  15. #35
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Korea Trip

    Hi, Jaynz, gd to find a Korean here. Like to ask if you have tried or heard or seen people shooting Namdaemun from a high vantage point. I was in Seoul and tried to go to a few buildings to try to see if there are any places I can do that, but many places are private or with their roof access are locked up. Wanting very much to shoot it like what is being shown in lonely planet.

    And like to ask if it is true that the ginseng at DMZ is really the best in S. Korea and where is a truely good place to buy authentic good ginseng from DMZ. I was shown by the tour guide to a ginseng centre (I can't rem, but may be to the west of Central Seoul) but did not spent my bucks on those US$300-800 packages. Instead I just went to Gyeongdong to buy those smaller (2-3 years old) ginseng in the stores.

    And by the way, do you pronounce "I myself" as Jo-neun or Cho-neun? Korean surname Jo/Cho, are they really pronounced as Jo and Cho differently by different people or are they supposed to be pronounced as Cho or Jo? Is it true that all Korean surnames are supposed to be pronounced with the soft sound in front, e.g. Kim not Gim, Park not Bark. How about Bae? Is it pronounced as Bae or Pae?

    Lastly, wonder if you are familiar to Korean Cinema. Like to ask if Shiri is based or related to a true story. I heard my Korean guide talks about a North Korean Spy who bombed the plane in Russia who was married to a "bodyguard" as she said. Sounds very much like Shiri to me.

    Sorry for so many questions. It must be very funny to you to ever meet a foreigner who asked so much about Korea, might even be a bit irritating.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaynz
    HI,

    I AM A KOREAN MALE, LIVING AND WORKING IN SINGAPORE.
    IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTION FOR KOREAN TRIP,
    FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.

    I MAY ADVICE FOR THE EXCELLENT PHOTO SHOOTING PLACE.

    BTW, FOR KOREAN TRIP, YOU SHOULD PREPARE KOREAN WON, NOT US DOLLAR.

    NEVER USE US DOLLAR IN KOREA IN MY LIFE.

    REGARDS,

    JAY PARK

    jaynz@nate.com for email contact.
    Last edited by zoossh; 18th January 2006 at 11:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •