Thread: Chargers running too hot? Try MiracleThaw!

Talking Chargers running too hot? Try MiracleThaw!

As most of us have learnt, battery chargers will charge more efficiently and batteries will last longer when they charge at a cooler temperature. I've been trying to think of a cost-effective heat-dissipating solution and I think I've found it in the form of the MiracleThaw(tm) defrosting plate!

It's just basically a large aluminium plate that acts as a heat-sink. I've seen purpose-built aluminium cooling pads (for notebooks), but they cost almost 80 bucks. Even though it's got two cooling fans, that's quite a bit to pay. I scored this thaw-thing for $9.90 off Y!Auctions!

It used to be everywhere where TV-Media "as-seen-on-TV!" products were sold. Now quite difficult to find, lah. But if you can find it, it's a great solution for your charger overheating problems. You will be able to thaw your frozen meat AND charge your batteries at the same time! How cool (pun!) is that?!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Chargers running too hot? Try MiracleThaw!

Hmm... Dunno if it's a good idea to "heat sink" the charger. Some chargers detect only temperature changes (instead of a combination of various means) in order to determine when to cut off the charging or switch to trickle mode. Charging at cooler temperature simply means using lower charging currents, at 0.1C. That means if the battery is 2500mAh, the charging current will not be greater than 250mA. This "slow charging" enhances battery life. Fast charging, however, uses current at 0.5C to 1C. So if you're fast charging and the charger doesn't cut off at full charge due to the reduced temperature, the batteries may suffer.

brilliant idea... cheap heat sink

idea.... maybe can use this on the flash head too my flash generally gets pretty hot during use....

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    idea.... maybe can use this on the flash head too my flash generally gets pretty hot during use....
    idea... can also try putting over tungsten bulb so that it will not be so warm on the subject... but got come in transparent color?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I am feeling quite hot in my room now. Maybe I should stick it on my forehead..

There's an even cheaper option. Buy an aluminium plate and some thermal paste!