Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to record a good sound?

Lightbulb Re: How to record a good sound?

i think it is a lot cheaper to buy cds on nature sounds.

Deregistered

Default Re: How to record a good sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    i think u can. use a sennheiser condenser, connect to a XLR cable. the other end, u must change the connector to a 1/8 inch connector to connect to notebook. must put 9V batt into the mic to power it. should work.
    not a good idea.

better to go through a mixer for preamp then from the main outs to the line-in of the computer.
    the method u mention will introduce noise & controllng gain is an issue.

another way is to get an Maudio breakout box as preamp & connect via firewire.

Sennheiser not really flat, the highs are raised.
    i recommend DPA mics.

is DPA an acroymn? or a brand? i have a minidv camera. the sound recorded from its in-built mics is far from satisfactory. what type and which brand of ext mic i can buy(affordable pls, no high-end stuff) to improve the sound pick-up?

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    not a good idea.

better to go through a mixer for preamp then from the main outs to the line-in of the computer.

i recommend DPA mics.

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    not a good idea.

i recommend DPA mics.

haha yah i know. but brudder..hes going into a forest. how to bring mixer and EQ set into forest?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    is DPA an acroymn? or a brand? i have a minidv camera. the sound recorded from its in-built mics is far from satisfactory. what type and which brand of ext mic i can buy(affordable pls, no high-end stuff) to improve the sound pick-up?
    DPA 4011 ? Markccm are talking about reliable high end stuff man! heheh... That DPA 4011 mic he is talking about is at least SDG 3,500 for one! heheh. That's like half a D2X there...and we have not even talk about other stuff yet.

yah man. its super ex la. haha. IMO, just go and get an external mic for ur DV cam. any external mic would improve the quality. if u want better, then pay more.

u pay peanuts, u get monkeys. but bear in mind, condensers aint cheap.

Deregistered

i'm sorry, audio is my ricebowl...

i will go all the way to get my job done.
    job hazard

oh geez..

i have a diploma in audio engineering, but all these are beginning to sound foreign to me already!

get a DAT deck and record using a DAT tape and line out with a shotgun mic.. hahaha. ahh dont forget to get a softie aka dead cat.. haha

i think its actually better to use an omni-directional stereo pair.

and best is of course using a variety of mics and later mixing it in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox

and best is of course using a variety of mics and later mixing it in the studio.
    hahaha with a 10 channel mixer..

you wouldnt believe my set-up during my school-days..lol! i would have several mics all over the place on location .. to capture ambient, wireless on the talents, and another boom mike etc ... and all downmix to 2 stereo tracks on DAT. plus set up all kinds of buffer to deaden extraenous noise.

but that's all behind me now .. all return to school

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox

Actually that is the way to do it.

Even outdoor sound have to be "designed". I think if this is the first time Lens is going to a typical rain forest, ambient sound might not be as nice and romantic as he would like. It can be the most noise place even to live in the city heh. I was an active scout and had camp in some pretty nice locations deeps in forests of Malaysia and Indonesian and there have been nights where I can't hardly sleep due to the noise heh.

You would need to record a few "version" of sound source from ambient to directional to more focused sound of specific creatures with the last two requiring a good pair of headphone to detect and track sound. DAT is a good recording media but have to be very careful with the moisture issue in a typical rain forest where it is always damn especially at night. Water proof and encasement is important as you might have to keep some distance from the recording device to avoid "contaminating" the sound of your walking about, people talking (if it is a group outing) and other non-nature type sound. Mini Disc is a good option but if you are looking for really solid sound fidelity, it might not do as minidisc like mp3 uses compression.
    There is alway the use of audio tapes...noisy but well..some audio "cleaning" will help improve it abit in post production.

And then like you mentioned, once you have all the various sound source recorded, you then layer them together creatively by bringing them into a sound editing studio or into a computer running software like Adobe Audition to filter, adjust and mixed. In short it really is about how badly you want to capture the real sound of the forest and how much you are willing to spend doing it. By what Lens intend to have as the finish result I take it he is looking at something pretty good. Problem is, it will not just be an issue of money but about being technically knowlegeable to do it plus big muscle to be carry not just your phtographic gear but some pretty bulky recording devices too heheh. And we are not even really talking DVD sound quality hehe.. for that you really need things Markccm was talking about for sure.
    Last edited by sammy888; 29th October 2005 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hello guys,

I am planning a trip to a rain forest, and it is said at night, the sounds in the forest can be real wonderful, like nature symphonic.
    Anyone has tried to record sound in good quality equipment?
    I would like to learn from you, like what i need to record a very good quality sound? i am thinking if i record it and play it in a good sound systems, that may be a very rewarding experience.

well, what i normally know is some kind of foams or mop like stuff is putting over microphone, to prevent the wind sound to be recorded. Well, just give me any opinion, and if you know what equipment to get then let's me know the model..

Thank you.
    Like a lot of things, the amount of money comes into play when considering what is acceptable quality. If you already have a mini dv camera, you can try either recording with the onboard stereo mic. Or you can buy a new mic. One of the cheapest but good quality is the rode video mic. But that's a mono shotgun. Battery powered and with wind screen. Or you could try a rode nt4 stereo condenser, also battery powered. You won't require preamps for these mics.

If you can pick it up, a HiMD player can now use linear pcm recordings. i.e. no atrac compression, as well as data storage. That's 1GB of data. They're relatively cheap nowadays too, because sony is probably not going to be pushing MDs anymore, which is a downside for the future. This is the most affordable solution,

You could also go the way of solid state recorders, like the edirol R1 ( 1 track ) or R4 ( 4 tracks ) or the marantz solid state recorders. Those come with phantom power so you can attach the condenser mics that aren't battery powered. But you'll have to order those from overseas because distributors here don't bring them in.

On another note you might need a pair of headphones to monitor it all. A close backed circum aural one would be great, But i heard the shure e2c in ear canals are ok too.

hi, how much would a rode video mic or rode nt4 stereo condenser set one back?

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    Like a lot of things, the amount of money comes into play when considering what is acceptable quality. If you already have a mini dv camera, you can try either recording with the onboard stereo mic. Or you can buy a new mic. One of the cheapest but good quality is the rode video mic. But that's a mono shotgun. Battery powered and with wind screen. Or you could try a rode nt4 stereo condenser, also battery powered. You won't require preamps for these mics.

If you can pick it up, a HiMD player can now use linear pcm recordings. i.e. no atrac compression, as well as data storage. That's 1GB of data. They're relatively cheap nowadays too, because sony is probably not going to be pushing MDs anymore, which is a downside for the future. This is the most affordable solution,

You could also go the way of solid state recorders, like the edirol R1 ( 1 track ) or R4 ( 4 tracks ) or the marantz solid state recorders. Those come with phantom power so you can attach the condenser mics that aren't battery powered. But you'll have to order those from overseas because distributors here don't bring them in.

On another note you might need a pair of headphones to monitor it all. A close backed circum aural one would be great, But i heard the shure e2c in ear canals are ok too.

Deregistered

omni-directionals will pick-up everything 360deg.

seriously, get a parabolic mic (not ez to find) or get a Rhodes NT5 as suggested by some.
    or get the Shure VP-88 which is a MS patterned mic.

for mic preamp maybe u could use those field mixers that videographers use.

my 2cents...

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    I was consider the shure e2c too for my conventional music listening on my ipod but even then..I find that price hard to swallow for a pair...good as it may be...but hard to justify for even my ipod which you are listening to mp3 compressed songs. So to get a pair if all he does is just take one trip in his life time to the rain forest...that might be abit too expensive an investment too heh.
    Last edited by sammy888; 29th October 2005 at 07:06 PM.

Deregistered

for field work, one will use a Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990.

not any of the Shure IEM systems.

use the right tools for the right application.

Yeah if you're going to get those closed backs like the beyerdynamics, they're going to cost upwards of 300. And you'll be sweating all the way because they do trap heat. So while i'd hate paying those prices for an in ear like the e2c, it'll help with the ventilation.

The NT4 last i checked is around 5, and the videomic is 3. The NT4 is pretty fragile, and the videomic is totally made of plastic. Short of indestructible for bumps. If you're short on cash or don't want the hassle of holding onto anything, you can also try binaural headphone mics. They fit in your ears like normal in ears, but are recording mics instead. Usually they're put on dummy heads while the recordist monitors, but if you're ok with the levels can just wear them. Some shop had OKMs on sale on the internet and iirc the cheapest one was about USD29.99 without shipping. If you can pester shops in sim lim to bring them in, i'd be glad to get a pair too as long as they're cheap. There are schematics on the internet to build your own as well, usually involving taking apart those small stereo mics.

Deregistered

thats wat ppl in the use for field work.

the Beyer DT770 or DT990.
    its the workhorse of the industry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12