Thread: Diffuser Test

Default Diffuser Test

Managed to get my hands on a LightsphereII Photojournalist. Did a quick snap of popeye with the various diffusion methods. This is by no means an exhaustive test. Posting this anyway to share. Hope you can gain something from this!

All shots f5.6, 1/30s, 54mm and ISO400 using Canon 550EX. Halogen lighting in the bg to the right.

PS: Apologise if the image is too large for your screen

Default Re: Diffuser Test

I'm also playing with my flash recently. From your tests, looks like the bounce card and LSII produce almost similar results. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the colours from the photo with the omnibounce at 45 degrees. For me, I almost always use the omnibounce at 45 degrees, works for me so far.

Thanks for the experiment and posting to show the difference.

Have a good weekend!!
    Last edited by Hitman; 28th October 2005 at 01:28 AM.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

can do another test with slightly reflective surfaces to mimic human skin?

Hi knoxknocks, thanks for posting the test, I have try all types before, just one note for the result of testing the bounce card, since there are no standard bounce card, in term of size and surface, so the results for bounce card is not conclusive.

Btw, I don’t believe there is a best device can use on all type of situations, so is good to know when to use certain device or method to get the result you want.

actually, after doing this test (and subsequently on a few humans ), I've come to realise that the differences are actually quite subtle - other than direct flash. So it comes down to personal preference.

and as catchlights pointed out, it's good to understand the mechanisms of how each type of diffuser works so that the way flash light falls on the subject can be controlled.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Hi knoxknocks, thanks for posting the test, I have try all types before, just one note for the result of testing the bounce card, since there are no standard bounce card, in term of size and surface, so the results for bounce card is not conclusive.

Btw, I don’t believe there is a best device can use on all type of situations, so is good to know when to use certain device or method to get the result you want.
    agreed! my bounce card is home-made white PVC measuring about 14cm x 17cm

i tried the LS2 , a crowd of around 30ppl only, ISO400 28mm @ f4. from conversation with some event photographers who are using the LS2, a larger crowd of ppl say, 50 or more, u have to aim the flash at them with the half dome over ur LS2.
    i tried it on portraiture(ROCKS!).
    i tried it on product shoot and a whole host of other situations. if applied properly, u will reap the rewards.

LS2 is the best flash diffuser right now. i've yet to see a better one.
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 28th October 2005 at 03:57 PM.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks
    agreed! my bounce card is home-made white PVC measuring about 14cm x 17cm
    may i know what is the stick use for supporting the flash for in your display picture? What purpose is it for?

Quote Originally Posted by kensh09
    may i know what is the stick use for supporting the flash for in your display picture? What purpose is it for?
    It is a flash bracket. Used for mounting your flash further from your camera
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    It is a flash bracket. Used for mounting your flash further from your camera
    thanks