Thread: codes behind print - checking for adjustment

Default codes behind print - checking for adjustment

Hi
    I printed some 4 R photos on Fuji crystal archive paper. I requested no adjustments to the photos but to my dismay some came out looking quite different from what I saw on my (already calibrated) screen.

At the back I noticed some printed text N N N -2- (some had 3 or 1 as well) which is different from a previous batch I printed which came out v good which had N N N NNN or N N N N__ on the back. The lab claims there was NO adjustment but I suspect there could have been.

Can anyone help?

Default Re: codes behind print - checking for adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl View Post
    Hi
    I printed some 4 R photos on Fuji crystal archive paper. I requested no adjustments to the photos but to my dismay some came out looking quite different from what I saw on my (already calibrated) screen.

At the back I noticed some printed text N N N -2- (some had 3 or 1 as well) which is different from a previous batch I printed which came out v good which had N N N NNN or N N N N__ on the back. The lab claims there was NO adjustment but I suspect there could have been.

Can anyone help?
    Think if I recall NNNNN refer to cyan/magenta/yellow and the last two are user settable parameters. N would usually mean Normal no adjustment. But that might be subjective if the machine was set to some numerical setting after re-calibration and that is treat as normal setting as a base. And adjustment or set to automatic would register some change in the value. Don;t take my word for it but verify with them again or another lab.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

The first three digits are the colours, follow by density.
    The mechine could be set to auto, so when the computer read the images, there are too many white or dark areas in the images, it try it's best to compensate accordingly.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Fyi, some labs don't have calibrated monitors.

And the person who can make good prints are hard to find.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: codes behind print - checking for adjustment

yup, checked with the lab and the last digit is the density. the first 3 are colour. so basically if you want no changes at all to the print, you have to specify no changes to colour AND density. haha. it would look something like " N N N N " I think using noritsu codes.