Thread: kena summon...sian 1/2

Default kena summon...sian 1/2

wahh i didnt see any TP or camera. i didnt beat red light. and i just received a letter saying i was speeding 20kmh above limit. 6 demerit and $150. siannzzz

what does it mean when they say "this offence may be compounded for $150?"

means if i pay $150, i don get the points is it?

Default Re: kena summon...sian 1/2

it means u pay $150,u dun need to appear in court.

6pts still deducted..

most likely kena radar camera stake out..

yah la.....must be radar camera.

but i dont remember speeding at all. it was just a leisurely drive for me... is there anyway to write in to appeal? crap la.

u can write in to the OC violation to appeal..

But..just pay and move on la..

If u are very sure u did not speed u can write to TP to appeal, there should be an address on the summon letter. However, they will most probably call u to go down to TP office to verify, and after verification if u were confirmed speeding then hmmm...

how to verify? hmmmmm................aiyarhhh.....just pay la.

nowadays these radar cams........oh well. just better be careful from now on.

The question is, on the day at the time specified on the summon, did u or did u not drive above the speed limit? Only u will know the answer.

yea i did drive above. the limit was 70kmh. i was prob at aroudn 80kmh. sigh....only 10kmh

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    yea i did drive above. the limit was 70kmh. i was prob at aroudn 80kmh. sigh....only 10kmh
    In that case, better dont appeal, if u appeal then they will bring u to court, spend 1 day in court and also kanna more fine $.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    yah la.....must be radar camera.

but i dont remember speeding at all. it was just a leisurely drive for me... is there anyway to write in to appeal? crap la.

Sorry to say...whether you recollect if you were speeding or not, if they got you on the radar gun, that would be hard to dispute. Equipment is calibrated and it would be shown to be in working order. They are pretty systematic in collecting data and will present them in court if you in tend to fight this in court. You can try to appeal this with the traffic police division if you really think you proof you did not speed. But if they can't in anyway see to accepting your plea and have proof to back their case and you want to bring to matter before the court....be warned...wasting the courts time will give you a BIGGER FINE and perhap stiffer points if you lose in the court.

Without going into too much details but as a former PNSF Division Police, TP or Police in general are not out to frame anyone to make more money for the "men in white" as most would say heheh..and they do have a duty(job) to perform and they do have the means to detect and catch you speeding. And how they go about catching you is pretty up to date and fool proof. Far as I can recall and say, concerning dedicated traffic motorbike and car that patrol the road looking out for traffic offences, the vehicle's speedometer is calibrated thus if they follow you for a short distance, they are able to be alerted to whether you are speeding or not and that would be enough reason for them to break out the speedometer or what other means to clock you down. I have made my share of summons in my days and I can tell you, though they have made it easier to fill up those forms these days (old days, most hate the lengthy paperwork for each car they summon) so no one is out to get as much summon as you would think unless necessary( plus there is no special pay bonus for doing so and promotions these day is too damn easy to get hehe) But summon they would if you did cross the line. But as many as you think they would catch..they could be letting a few off without you even knowing if they feel after some afterthought maybe you were a borderline case. I know I have done that before.

So...maybe abit too much insight here heheh...but really at this point, the choice is still yours to make.... to fight this out,lose and pay more for it or just pay it and move on.

YOu want to knowsomething off topic...during my last few tour of reservist, I was attached to division car partrol and we has some really bad illegal parking problem. After trying so many times to get as many away from all those double yellow lines..etc. I brought my digital camera along. Every lane I came across, I did not bring out my pocket book to take number, I started taking pictures of the car and where it was parked. Of cos I was not really going to summon later lah. I tell you, it works better then the pocket book and pen, the scramble out of all those congested lanes really fast heheheh.... Not sure if the regular police folks I was attached to continue this bit hehe...the police sure have digital cameras but they are use for other work heh....
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th October 2005 at 06:53 PM.

haha. thanks man. nah i wont appeal. just pay, take the 6 pts, and learn my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    YOu want to knowsomething off topic...during my last few tour of reservist, I was attached to division car partrol and we has some really bad illegal parking problem. After trying so many times to get as many away from all those double yellow lines..etc. I brought my digital camera along. Every lane I came across, I did not bring out my pocket book to take number, I started taking pictures of the car and where it was parked. Of cos I was not really going to summon later lah. I tell you, it works better then the pocket book and pen, the scramble out of all those congested lanes really fast heheheh.... Not sure if the regular police folks I was attached to continue this bit hehe...the police sure have digital cameras but they are use for other work heh....

I've seen DSLRs sitting in the rear seats of patrol cars...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Sorry to say...whether you recollect if you were speeding or not, if they got you on the radar gun, that would be hard to dispute. Equipment is calibrated and it would be shown to be in working order. They are pretty systematic in collecting data and will present them in court if you in tend to fight this in court. You can try to appeal this with the traffic police division if you really think you proof you did not speed. But if they can't in anyway see to accepting your plea and have proof to back their case and you want to bring to matter before the court....be warned...wasting the courts time will give you a BIGGER FINE and perhap stiffer points if you lose in the court.

<snip>
    I don't intend to refute nor challenge the integrity nor accuracy of our local boys in blue. What I'm raising next is just a commentary about what's happening Down Under. It represents what could go wrong when dealing with speed-related offences:

There have been cases where an incorrectly-set radar-activated speed camera has "caught" motorists "speeding" at 70kph when the road limit is actually higher than that. An alert motorist who was dead-sure he wasn't speeding took the case all the way up to court, but the police aren't retracting the summons. It would potentially set the precedent for all the other speeding offences related to that same camera - think of the loss of revenue! I believe this case is still pending.

There are also cases where the police failed to prove satisfactorily the algorithm used in its radars are absolutely dependable (apparently someone, a mathematician, managed to find a bug in that particular make of radar) and the courts ruled against the police in this case.

Depending on state, there are very strict regulations with regard to use of speeding radars and patrol vehicles. For example, the radar cannot be used at the foot of a steep slope, in inclement weather, or placed within a set distance a change in road limits (eg. dropping from 100kph to 60kph zone - it is unreasonable to ask a driver to shed 40kph right after that 60kph sign). It is commonly regarded that if the police breach these SOPs their summons won't go through in court.

If the driver at fault can introduce reasonable doubt (for example, inaccurate speedometer on the part of the patrol car) he has a decent chance of getting off. There are lawyers specializing in these traffic laws, microexamining every aspect of the incident, to get their clients acquitted.

By the way, it is also illegal in Australia to flash your high beams at oncoming traffic to warn others of a radar trap. If you get caught you would be charged for causing a nuisance to other drivers by dazzling them. A lot of people do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    I've seen DSLRs sitting in the rear seats of patrol cars...

Wah..no kidding! heheh YOu staying in Bedok so you are where I was attended then ( G Div ) hehehe. Well not sure about DSLR..in my time which was about 4-5 yrs ago, I was using my S70 Sony. But I am not surprise they are using DSLR..it is cheaper. Couple of years earlier, they started to train the police to take their own crime and accident pictures (with lower end AF Nikon SLRs) instead of waiting for the officail police photographer to come take it. This save time I tell you...especially when you need to get back on patrol after attending the case or want to go take your break time to eat ! heheh..and you have to stay by at the scene till the photographer comes hehe. Well I hit the big 40yrs now 3 years ago so I finish my reservist tour...I really miss policing. What camera were they using? hahahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    I don't intend to refute nor challenge the integrity nor accuracy of our local boys in blue. What I'm raising next is just a commentary about what's happening Down Under. It represents what could go wrong when dealing with speed-related offences:

There have been cases where an incorrectly-set radar-activated speed camera has "caught" motorists "speeding" at 70kph when the road limit is actually higher than that. An alert motorist who was dead-sure he wasn't speeding took the case all the way up to court, but the police aren't retracting the summons. It would potentially set the precedent for all the other speeding offences related to that same camera - think of the loss of revenue! I believe this case is still pending.

There are also cases where the police failed to prove satisfactorily the algorithm used in its radars are absolutely dependable (apparently someone, a mathematician, managed to find a bug in that particular make of radar) and the courts ruled against the police in this case.

Depending on state, there are very strict regulations with regard to use of speeding radars and patrol vehicles. For example, the radar cannot be used at the foot of a steep slope, in inclement weather, or placed within a set distance a change in road limits (eg. dropping from 100kph to 60kph zone - it is unreasonable to ask a driver to shed 40kph right after that 60kph sign). It is commonly regarded that if the police breach these SOPs their summons won't go through in court.

If the driver at fault can introduce reasonable doubt (for example, inaccurate speedometer on the part of the patrol car) he has a decent chance of getting off. There are lawyers specializing in these traffic laws, microexamining every aspect of the incident, to get their clients acquitted.

By the way, it is also illegal in Australia to flash your high beams at oncoming traffic to warn others of a radar trap. If you get caught you would be charged for causing a nuisance to other drivers by dazzling them. A lot of people do it anyway.
    Interesting flip side story there man.... NO doubt equipment can fail too...

haha yah. nice to have a different perspective. there goes the money i saved for my tele sigma 70-300.

oh well. things like this do happen