Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: professional phtographer?

Default Re: professional phtographer?

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Yeah man, so true. heh.... Videographer same, "oi, camera man, we need you here".
    haha... i share the same sentiments...

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    i do find it embarrassing when friends or close clients sometimes misuse the word. just thought it would be beneficial if the community knows WHEN to use the term.
    If an amateur feels that he is a professional, then he is a professional.

If a professional feels that he is a newbie, then he is a newbie.

Real Pro doesn't show hes work much... only hobbyist do... :P

Quote Originally Posted by gernie
    This comment makes absolutely no sense. A professional photographer is a photographer that makes a living out of photography. According to yuo, a professional photographer does not show his work, and if he does not, how is he going to market himself to get the next job?

Now, if you meant pro as a photographer who is very good, and a hobbyiest as a photographer that is not very good, it still does not make sense, becuase, being good or not not has nothing to do with showing or not showing his work!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Heh?

You may be confused by things happening in forums like CS, where most members are amateurs who take pictures for "fun". "Real Pros" do show their work a lot, but to clients or potential clients who can help them fill their bank accounts.

For sure if a "Real Pro" does not show his/her work a lot, he will not be a pro for very long! I only know of a couple of "Real Pros" (not commercial photographers) who do not show their works much. But they do pay a very high price for not showing their work.

Must show lar, else how to earn. Going by word-of-mouth recommendations is one thing but usually everybody needs to present the latest portfolio before the deal is done. Be it hobbyist or pro.

Talking Re: professional phtographer?

I'm an enthusiast. Not an expert.

(Nor a professional)
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Yeah man, so true. heh.... Videographer same, "oi, camera man, we need you here".
    ahha yeah that's my middle name too. kinda get used to it.

Off course we do show our works around, but only to the selective people...like current or potential clients.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    some people call me the "camera man"
    Or Camera Operator - someone who holds the cam and fires the shutter. The Cam Operator does less and so gets to be paid less too.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Astin is quite right in his general meanings.

However the term freelance photographer really started to come in vogue in the late 1940s and 1950s.

The reason was that during this period all most all professional phtoographers either owned their own studio or were full time employees of a studio or newspaper / agency. Large wedding studio chains existed in the USA and other parts of the world and some of them literally employed dozens of photographers per studio. Needless to say some photographers were disatisfied with the system and so went independent, no studio and they offered their services to anyone who would pay them, hence the term freelance was born; at least as far as photographers are concerned.

The terms semi-professional started to spring up in the late 1970s to describe part time fee for service photographers, most of whom were working in the wedding field and who were either employed as casual photographers by existing professionals or the bottom end feeders who took on the cheap jobs the professionals weren't interested in doing.

It's also worth noting that there are professional potographers and those who are little more than camera operators who are paid to take photographs. Examples of the latter often include the folks employed to take school portraits, baby photos in shopping malls etc. They are trained to setup and operate a specific camera and outboard equipment and in many cases that's about their limit of knowledge of the technical side of photography. While such folks make a living from photography, they aren't what many people would consider to be a bona fide professional photographer.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    50 years or so ago, an amatuer is known to be on a higher status than a professional. The word amatuer actually derives from the Latin word "amo" which means to do things out of passion. In another words, an amatuer doesn't necessarily mean lower standards. It means a person who do it out of passion. A photographer with a lot of passion would bound to do something better than a professional would. In today's society, the meaning of amatuer has somehow been misinterpreted.

A professional on the other hand is someone who does the job for his bread and butter and doesn't necessarily mean he is good. Many times a professional photographer is not given the leeway to think out of the box because he is more like a puppet that is being controlled by the Art Director. He just needs to be technically sound in his skills to do what the Art Director wants him to do.

There is often this word used that is called "semi-pro". There is no such word in the first place. You are either a professional or you are not. If you do it part-time then consider yourself a freelance.
    Make sense.

I think I understand what gernie meant. Like what some of you highlighted here, real pro does show their portfolios to clients for business but many would never post their pictures in places like CS for some reason or other.

I am one who shows my work to would be clients or existing clients but as some in CS may know, I don't show my work here. Many of my jobs are commercial based and some clients I had signed a no release agreement with the client because the pictures are either of somebody high up in the ladder or some confidential products not meant for the general public. Well as the saying goes, "be safe rather than sorry."

Of course there are a small handfull who refused to show their work at all. I was once looking for a wedding photographer for my sister's wedding and this photographer I contacted refused to show his work. He thinks it is troublesome. I was so pissed I cut him off entirely.

Well, so it's absolutely correct to say if a pro - someone living off photography - doesn't show off his work, he won't be a pro for long.

vince123123
    Guests

I beg to differ, both words are used in a different sense. Just because you are a part-time doesn't mean you are a freelancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    There is often this word used that is called "semi-pro". There is no such word in the first place. You are either a professional or you are not. If you do it part-time then consider yourself a freelance.

vince123123
    Guests

Just saw Ian's post on his definition of freelance vs semi-pro - saved me some typing.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I beg to differ, both words are used in a different sense. Just because you are a part-time doesn't mean you are a freelancer.

just like Andy Ho stated, that is exactly what I meant with my initial posting. Hope everyone in CS gets the picture and wont misuse the word, because it's embarassing to use the word but not know the actual meaning.

professional does not necessarily mean he/she is good or skilled at it...

Many thanks to Ian for shedding some light on this matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12