Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi Captnj,

I heard about muscle loss too, but i am a bit confused about it. I thought like once you have trained it, and you get the bigger muscle, the muscle will be there. Would you explain more about muscle loss?

Could a bulky muscle go back to the small shape? will a well-trained body just go back to a thin frame as before?

I will say it is really rare to see a muscular body go back to a thin frame.. will it happen?
    the way that muscles shrink is if you dont feed and stimulate them, or if you do alot of long endurace type activity (jogging) no food - shrink, no training - shrink, lots of cardio - shrink

yes a big guy can get really thin if does the above...

O really?? so if one person has trained and gained a good shape, with visible muscle. If he doesn't maintain it, it could be gone forever?

It is kind of surprise to me, normally what I see is ppl look fat but big built, but I don't really know that a muscular man could be thin frame again.

Actually i think diet is much difficult than training. you have to eat calories to build muscle, if you eat less, muscle shrink, if you eat more but it could gain fat

Wanna lose weight fast? just spend 1 hour in the sauna. Water is easy to lose, but not FATS.
    Don't starve yourself. Your body will burn muscle.
    Just eat normal, and more importantly excerise regularly!
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Dramatic weight loss is possible but then again... i think people who want to do that, would be better off if they went and consult a doc about it.
    Doing things like taking pills and skipping a few meals (based on your own opinions)here and there are not the right things to do. And if u do want to take pills or make your meals smaller, it is better if you just consult a doc. It's better that way in terms they can tell you what are the risks involved and what ways to handle the minerals you might be missing out, based on your food intake.....

I know it's diificult to lose weight, i had tried all the possible ways of doing it....
    But weight loss doesn't come so easily... too often it comes with a price.

If you are just round, not overweight by too much, just excise and make sure u have a heathy diet....

Be happy!

Forgot to add... if our bodies lose up to a certain percentage of our weight, it will rebel against the weight loss... (according to one of the doc i visited) and your weight will tend to stay around that region...
    Last edited by Nisa; 28th October 2005 at 02:24 PM.

sure be happy with whatever your current status.. but that does not seem the case (evident with the number of posts on "weight loss" threads) and anyway i strongly encourage people not to sell themselves short in terms of phsyical performance... most people are WAY WAY WAY BELOW!! what they are actually capable of... myself i was a TAF club member for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by captnj
    sure be happy with whatever your current status.. but that does not seem the case (evident with the number of posts on "weight loss" threads) and anyway i strongly encourage people not to sell themselves short in terms of phsyical performance... most people are WAY WAY WAY BELOW!! what they are actually capable of... myself i was a TAF club member for many years.
    I don't think u actually went and read what they wrote.
    I don't think it's all about skipping meals and just focus on the weight loss....
    there are other things in there as well.

TAF? ahha thank god i was out of school when they started those stupid things.
    don't approve of it.

uh of course nothing happens without effort... but really.... too many ppl make excuses rather than effort...

uh of course nothing happens without effort... but really.... too many ppl make excuses rather than effort...
    I am not talking about efforts going out to excise... i am talking about other things, such as effects......

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    I am not talking about efforts going out to excise... i am talking about other things, such as effects......

effects? if you do it right the effects are only good

effects? if you do it right the effects are only good
    I happened to disagree with you. It's not a good effect, but then again i won't say it cannot be corrected. however, whatever a person do to lose weight, should always approach a doc. And if you are still uncomfortable, despite what your doc say, you should always seek 2nd opinion.

just a question. do you have something against that weight loss thread or something ?

i'm a woman so i'm not into muscles. i like to diet once in a while to clear my body system of unwanted toxics. you got problem with that or what

What I think is that being active is what our bodies are made to do. People shouldn't overlook this. Being active regularly benefits not only the body, but the mind and "unrelated" body parts, too. Not just to measure by weight, but mental alertness, feeling of being young, blah blah blah. Actually, the mind and body work together all the time in pretty amazing ways. (Hehe, I could go on, but just trust me on this. )

One taxi driver told me, when he stayed in his old place, he used to walk every day. After he moved to another place and stopped this practice, his eyesight deteriorated very rapidly. A bit OT lah, not weight loss, but I think to concentrate on weight is not too good. Focus on how to get your whole body to work nicely! (Btw, I'm not superfit, hee.)

For a start, be active, in any way you want. Choose something you like, the important thing is to keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake
    just a question. do you have something against that weight loss thread or something ?

i'm a woman so i'm not into muscles. i like to diet once in a while to clear my body system of unwanted toxics. you got problem with that or what
    no la... its good to want better health... what i mean is that weight is apparently a problem thays y the large number of posts...

as for women... i know muscles arent the look u r going for you have no need to fear, women arent able to put on muscles easily. But still... most women sell themselves short and lift the teeny pink plastic weights...women should train almost exactly like men for maximum results. no u wont end up like

much rather a woman who trains correctly will end up like

yup thats world figure skating champion michelle kwan, i think an excellent example of female physical development. Very femeinie, but athelteic... and have you seen her just leap off the ice? you dont get ability or appearance like that from little pink dumbells!

as for detox... i do not feel it works (maybe only psychological effect...)
    Last edited by captnj; 28th October 2005 at 03:41 PM.

Here's my take:

Losing weight is a matter of diet and exercise. Your energy usage must exceed your energy input (food intake).

Taking pills is a very short term solution, and (trust me on this) does not work in the long term. You get dramatic weight loss initially, but as many have pointed out, it's mainly dehydration. Most people put the weight right back on once they stop the pills.

THE ONLY WAY TO MAINTAIN THE WEIGHT LOSS IS BY DIET AND EXERCISE. IF YOU ARE ALREADY GOING TO DIET AND EXERCISE ANYWAY, WHY BOTHER TAKING PILLS?

OK, diet is actually a matter of commonsense. Eat less fats, because they have high caloric density (large number of calories per gram). Eating more protein will help you burn more energy, due to something called the "specific dynamic effect" of proteins (which basically means it increases your metabolic rate). You also need carbos, so forget about Atkins, who died obese anwyay. More fruits and vegetables will help you fill your tummy.

About exercise. I have always thought that aerobic exercise is the way to go (rather than lifting weights) because that burns calories, right? Yes and no. It burns calories, but as captnj pointed out, if you overdo it and run out of glycogen you burn protein together with the fat. In fact low intensity exercise is better at burning fat - high intensity exercise will burn glycogen preferentially. Low intensity exercise just takes more time.

Now, about lifting weights. There is a difference between that and bodybuilding. Bodybuilders take lots of protein supplements (and other chemicals such as anabolic steroids) to achieve huge muscle sizes. You can lift weights to increase muscle strength and mass without looking like the incredible hulk. The increased muscle mass will burn more energy throughout the day, and you will naturally lose the FAT in your body without looking bulkier. In fact you will find yourself slimming down.

There are other benefits which have been mentioned by other posters. Higher energy levels, less fatigue, more alertness, more strength to do simple tasks.

Don't jump into the gym and start pumping like mad. You will ache like hell the next day. Start slow and increase slowly. Be patient. Not much pain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    About exercise. I have always thought that aerobic exercise is the way to go (rather than lifting weights) because that burns calories, right? Yes and no. It burns calories, but as captnj pointed out, if you overdo it and run out of glycogen you burn protein together with the fat. In fact low intensity exercise is better at burning fat - high intensity exercise will burn glycogen preferentially. Low intensity exercise just takes more time.
    actually Aerobic is not good. cause it's harmful to the joints. Best would be swimming.

Sigh!

Information and mis-information!

Even from well meaning sources!

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake

I think its unlikely that you'll start picking up some weights (pink or not) and in a few months turn up as Martina Navratilova or something. you have to do something drastic to get Mr Universe muscles.

I've got bad cholesterol reading (just like a typical guy), and I've started to do somethign about it this year. I run and do some weights. Basically running is the main thing, but weights so that I strenghten some muscle so that I dont get weak muscles before I get tired (and also to prevent injury). 3 days out of the week, my wife will detox me without me knowing consciously, not by cutting down on diet but eating strange food that's supposed to get rid of toxins or whatever.

I try not to do anything too extreme, other than making exercising a regular thing (every morning is good, you get to practise willpower!) and eating sensibly, and I'm already feeling better. My test results are improving this year, and I think I might have lost some weight as well.

Moral: You can do whatever you want, but just don't go crazy in it. I suppose the extreme would be anorexia, where you're already chopstick and still think you're fat.
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    I think its unlikely that you'll start picking up some weights (pink or not) and in a few months turn up as Martina Navratilova or something. you have to do something drastic to get Mr Universe muscles.
    a few months can do wonderful things if you do it right...
    Last edited by captnj; 28th October 2005 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi Captnj,

I heard about muscle loss too, but i am a bit confused about it. I thought like once you have trained it, and you get the bigger muscle, the muscle will be there. Would you explain more about muscle loss?

Could a bulky muscle go back to the small shape? will a well-trained body just go back to a thin frame as before?

I will say it is really rare to see a muscular body go back to a thin frame.. will it happen?
    I am not pro .. learn by reading mag and online forum.
    But will try answer a little bit.
    YES a well trained body can just go back to a thin frame as before. Provided u hv a high metabolism

I am a ectomorph by nature. USed to stand at 170cm/54kg. Under some 'BIG BAD GUY' influence I started on some strict diet and gym (that was in NS time)

I hit the gym 4 times a week, HIT HEAVY with low reps.1 cardio a week and eat 6-8meals a day (App. 3000kcals a day)
    In less than 4months I gain 6kg hitting 60kg.

I did take supplements like creatine and protein shake. Multi.Vit. Vit E and C. Flaxseed oil and fish oil.
    And also I force myself to sleep by eating Melatonin

So after NS. I start to work and study. No time to eat 6meals. Go gym ...
    So basically I slim down alot almost back to normal .. But luckily I still took some pics during tat time ..

haha true... food is not that cheap ... the key is to learn to cook... then it all becomes affordable
    ACtually I am quite a lazy person.
    I eat the same old thing every day every meal for 1 month ..

How to be affoardable when u need to consume:

3cups of milk
    1 loaf of WM bread
    3 cups of oats
    1 chicken breast
    1 can tuna
    10 eggs
    3 bananas
    2 cup B.rice

a day ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast