Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

  1. #1

    Default weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Hi guys i see the popularity of the weight loss thread (sad but true) ... just wanted to share with you guys the incorrect view on weight loss. Truth is that weight loss is NOT what we should be looking for. ANYBODY can be thin... just dont eat!

    What we are looking for is FAT loss!! the way to do this is NOT to eat teeny amounts!!! its to lift heavy things (so the body says "i need to keep muscle") and eat healthy things (so we dont keep fat) add to this some sprinting (look at the bodies of world class sprinters) and fat loss is 100% guaranteed. OF course depeding on individuals some will lose more fat than others but we will all be on the way.

    I have seen this with ALL the athletes and clients i have worked with, from 8 yrs old to 45 yrs old. No dbout about it! from housewives, former cancer patients, top athletes, and younger kids who are out of shape.

    regds
    Jonathan
    Last edited by captnj; 27th October 2005 at 11:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    err u body builder ar?

    btw, thats your body?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    well, they just want to lose weight (to feel light) and not fats (to look slim).

  4. #4
    cardsharpclark
    Guests

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by captnj
    Hi guys i see the popularity of the weight loss thread (sad but true) ... just wanted to share with you guys the incorrect view on weight loss. Truth is that weight loss is NOT what we should be looking for. ANYBODY can be thin... just dont eat!

    What we are looking for is FAT loss!! the way to do this is NOT to eat teeny amounts!!! its to lift heavy things (so the body says "i need to keep muscle") and eat healthy things (so we dont keep fat) add to this some sprinting (look at the bodies of world class sprinters) and fat loss is 100% guaranteed. OF course depeding on individuals some will lose more fat than others but we will all be on the way.

    I have seen this with ALL the athletes and clients i have worked with, from 8 yrs old to 45 yrs old. No dbout about it! from housewives, former cancer patients, top athletes, and younger kids who are out of shape.

    regds
    Jonathan
    I agree mostly with your post. A few things:
    - Sometimes obesity is psychologically linked.
    - 8 year old clients???

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    1 Question. How the @%@#$ does someone lose something like 20kg in 6 weeks like what they advertise in the papers nowadays? do they strap on lead weights in the beginning and strip butt naked at the end of the 6 weeks?

    another point, it seems that everyone wants the easy way out. Pay a few thousand bucks, eat some strange concoction to slim down and get subjected to probes. Don't be lazy, go out and do some exercise and stay away from certain type of food.
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

  6. #6

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by brian
    1 Question. How the @%@#$ does someone lose something like 20kg in 6 weeks like what they advertise in the papers nowadays? do they strap on lead weights in the beginning and strip butt naked at the end of the 6 weeks?

    another point, it seems that everyone wants the easy way out. Pay a few thousand bucks, eat some strange concoction to slim down and get subjected to probes. Don't be lazy, go out and do some exercise and stay away from certain type of food.
    or join Villa Wellness....

    NS also a good way, forces you to exercise and eat healthy - FOC, somemore they pay you!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by brian
    1 Question. How the @%@#$ does someone lose something like 20kg in 6 weeks like what they advertise in the papers nowadays? do they strap on lead weights in the beginning and strip butt naked at the end of the 6 weeks?

    another point, it seems that everyone wants the easy way out. Pay a few thousand bucks, eat some strange concoction to slim down and get subjected to probes. Don't be lazy, go out and do some exercise and stay away from certain type of food.
    Answer: eat dirt and get food poisoning. Once I bought a $1 dumpling and ate it, it tasted funny, the next moment I was rushing to toilet, for the next 7 days, I could not eat any solid food, and still went toilet every waking hour, and stomach and back side extremely painful, I tell u, I lost almost 5kg in 1 go.

  8. #8

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    err u body builder ar?

    btw, thats your body?
    yes thats me... got to "walk the talk" right no im not a bodybuilder... not a fan of BBing...I train for preformance first - speed, strength, agility, injury prevention etc. Of course for these things some muscles are helpful but only if they can move their own weight explosively. no point bein big and puffy but slow and weak... we call it "looking like a tank - but with a morotcycle engine" unfortunately thats what happens to most bodybuilders...

  9. #9

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cardsharpclark
    I agree mostly with your post. A few things:
    - Sometimes obesity is psychologically linked.
    - 8 year old clients???
    yes self worth is an area i also deal with. Not everybody can become like arnold but everyboy can become healthy and perform well if given the right coaching.

    yes 7-8 yr old is the GOLDEN AGE for the development of movement skills. If u miss this age... its gone forever (or takes an exponentially longer time to catch up).. its like kids are good at learning languages etc at young ages... movement skills too. Take a look at clumsy out of shape kids who cant run, jump or catch... im pretty sure their parents did not encourage playing outside when they were young. One of the problems of our society... how many primary school PE lessons end up becomming maths/science/chinese etc lessons? yup... its a problem...

  10. #10

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Answer: eat dirt and get food poisoning. Once I bought a $1 dumpling and ate it, it tasted funny, the next moment I was rushing to toilet, for the next 7 days, I could not eat any solid food, and still went toilet every waking hour, and stomach and back side extremely painful, I tell u, I lost almost 5kg in 1 go.
    sad to hear that bro. But sorry to burst this bubble... thats called dehydration and muscle loss... not the way to go!

  11. #11

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by brian
    1 Question. How the @%@#$ does someone lose something like 20kg in 6 weeks like what they advertise in the papers nowadays? do they strap on lead weights in the beginning and strip butt naked at the end of the 6 weeks?

    another point, it seems that everyone wants the easy way out. Pay a few thousand bucks, eat some strange concoction to slim down and get subjected to probes. Don't be lazy, go out and do some exercise and stay away from certain type of food.
    the thing about these programs is that they do work in reducing weight. but the loss of weight is water and muscles. Yes its gone (esp easy if the person is really fat to begin with) but muscles also lost so the ability of the body to burn calories also deproves. then what happens is that when the person eats the same amoung, they get fatter than before!!! yes!! then back to the"slimming center" for more wasted $$$.... sad but true!

  12. #12

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    well, they just want to lose weight (to feel light) and not fats (to look slim).
    haha we cant stop them if thats what ppl really want... but is it ?? i think prob not!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    It pays to remember the Slim 10 episode from a few years back.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    It pays to remember the Slim 10 episode from a few years back.
    Here here.

  15. #15

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    well ... at least theres someone who knows the stuff here
    But I think gain weight is harder than lose weight ... cos i eat till BROKE

  16. #16

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    well ... at least theres someone who knows the stuff here
    But I think gain weight is harder than lose weight ... cos i eat till BROKE
    haha true... food is not that cheap ... the key is to learn to cook... then it all becomes affordable

  17. #17

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by captnj
    yes self worth is an area i also deal with. Not everybody can become like arnold but everyboy can become healthy and perform well if given the right coaching.

    yes 7-8 yr old is the GOLDEN AGE for the development of movement skills. If u miss this age... its gone forever (or takes an exponentially longer time to catch up).. its like kids are good at learning languages etc at young ages... movement skills too. Take a look at clumsy out of shape kids who cant run, jump or catch... im pretty sure their parents did not encourage playing outside when they were young. One of the problems of our society... how many primary school PE lessons end up becomming maths/science/chinese etc lessons? yup... its a problem...
    Want to ask, to you, how important is it to enjoy what you are doing? Is this something that you can teach your clients?

    People can learn the best way to do things technically, but in the end, they don't carry on something because they "don't feel like it". You can say their minds are weak, or whatever, but if this reality (that people do what they feel like doing) is not dealt with, the best techniques will just go...unpractised.

    Actually, that's another reason to start young. Get children to love being physically active and they may continue to do so for life. Get them on video games young, and when they grow up and need some comfort, they will fall back on that as a familiar pleasure-bringing (in)activity.

    Like some people have runner's high, is there a "lifter of heavy objects" high? Just curious.

  18. #18

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Hi Captnj,

    I heard about muscle loss too, but i am a bit confused about it. I thought like once you have trained it, and you get the bigger muscle, the muscle will be there. Would you explain more about muscle loss?

    Could a bulky muscle go back to the small shape? will a well-trained body just go back to a thin frame as before?

    I will say it is really rare to see a muscular body go back to a thin frame.. will it happen?

  19. #19

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    I have to agree with this.

    Increasing muscle mass by resistance training will increase the number of calories you burn throughout the day, because muscle tissue burns energy, while fat tissue does not.

    Get a pair of dumbbells and start doing some weight lifting exercises (just google for how to do it). Before long you'll be feeling better and looking better.

    Just started about a month ago and I must say I can really feel the difference.

  20. #20

    Default Re: weight loss? dont be fooled!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    Want to ask, to you, how important is it to enjoy what you are doing? Is this something that you can teach your clients?

    People can learn the best way to do things technically, but in the end, they don't carry on something because they "don't feel like it". You can say their minds are weak, or whatever, but if this reality (that people do what they feel like doing) is not dealt with, the best techniques will just go...unpractised.

    Actually, that's another reason to start young. Get children to love being physically active and they may continue to do so for life. Get them on video games young, and when they grow up and need some comfort, they will fall back on that as a familiar pleasure-bringing (in)activity.

    Like some people have runner's high, is there a "lifter of heavy objects" high? Just curious.
    well i have done studies in psychology as part of self improvment. There are 3 genenral needs for a person to fell that an activity is worthwhile. this is what i work on in every session (its not formal, but it is done in the way i speak and act... -far more important).

    1. Competnecy -feel that they can (or will be able to ) preform the activity
    2. Relatedless - this is related to their goals and there is a person /group with like mindedness
    3. Autonomy - they are doing this becuase they choose to not because they are forced to

    Well the lifter's high is more a sense of accomllishment... but really i dont just do lifitng, its just a total physical development. Its very gratiying to see what your body can actually do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •