Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Choosing a fast lens

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    Yes, I believe that 4 stops would be a great improvement, allowing me to increase my shutter speed and probably drop the ISO
    You will be dealing with very nerrow depth of field btw. And less flexibility on your framing when shooting on prime lens too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You will be dealing with very nerrow depth of field btw. And less flexibility on your framing when shooting on prime lens too.
    yes I understand both points although I'm more afraid of the framing part hence I mentioned that I would prefer a fast zoom

  3. #23

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    yes I understand both points although I'm more afraid of the framing part hence I mentioned that I would prefer a fast zoom
    There is where cropping and a second set of camera and prime lens might come into play.
    Like show some wedding photographer have 2 body and 2 prime shooting in available light.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    Yes, I believe that 4 stops would be a great improvement, allowing me to increase my shutter speed and probably drop the ISO
    Would it be possible to share with us what kind of events or places you are shooting at? The seniors here would be able to give you a more logical and best solution.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  5. #25

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Please allow me to ask a question. I've been shooting some dance events in dark environment using FF Nikon camera with f2.8 zoom lenses. When shooting wide open at f2.8, I occasionally got some blurred images due to the DOF. If I were to use f1.8 or f1.4 prime lenses, isn't it more difficult to get sharp images? How should I prevent it?

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ha Zu Ni Za View Post
    Would it be possible to share with us what kind of events or places you are shooting at? The seniors here would be able to give you a more logical and best solution. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    places I shoot at : hall (with almost all the lights are off except for some which are dimmed), outdoors at night with few lamps. And some of the times during these events it would be fast paced movement (ie dance as mentioned)

  7. #27
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Please allow me to ask a question. I've been shooting some dance events in dark environment using FF Nikon camera with f2.8 zoom lenses. When shooting wide open at f2.8, I occasionally got some blurred images due to the DOF. If I were to use f1.8 or f1.4 prime lenses, isn't it more difficult to get sharp images? How should I prevent it?
    Good question.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #28
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    places I shoot at : hall (with almost all the lights are off except for some which are dimmed), outdoors at night with few lamps. And some of the times during these events it would be fast paced movement (ie dance as mentioned)
    Sigma 18-35,
    now you just need to find the money.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Sigma 18-35, now you just need to find the money.
    Okay last question from me - i've read about focus issues with the 18-35, (misfocussing) is it true, and if yes is it really that bad?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Please allow me to ask a question. I've been shooting some dance events in dark environment using FF Nikon camera with f2.8 zoom lenses. When shooting wide open at f2.8, I occasionally got some blurred images due to the DOF. If I were to use f1.8 or f1.4 prime lenses, isn't it more difficult to get sharp images? How should I prevent it?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...ens-sweet-spot

    Maybe this article would help abit.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  11. #31

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jjlimjohn View Post
    Can consider Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. It's a wide to mid range zoom lens with fast aperture.

    Otherwise the 17-55mm f2.8 lenses are all decent too.
    I think go with the Sigma too.
    Though focal ranges are likely to be different, comparing f1.8 to f3.5 and f5.6, you're 2 stops ahead at the wider end and 3+ stops at the longer end. That's a lot.
    The Sigma 18-35/1.8 basically claws back the entire FF advantage when compared to f2.8 zooms on FX but you have to live with less focal length range and the extra size/bulk.

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    Okay last question from me - i've read about focus issues with the 18-35, (misfocussing) is it true, and if yes is it really that bad?
    I don't own this lens but I have the 35mm f1.4.

    FYI, no matter what pro lenses you use, no lens is prefect, you need to find out what this lens capable of, where is the sweet spot, and to make full use of it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I don't own this lens but I have the 35mm f1.4. FYI, no matter what pro lenses you use, no lens is prefect, you need to find out what this lens capable of, where is the sweet spot, and to make full use of it.
    guess it's time to save up.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    The 50 f1.4 is pretty affordable. If you do not mind using f1.8 both 50 f1.8 and 35mm f1.8 afs is super affordable provided this is the focus length you would like to work with.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    The 50 f1.4 is pretty affordable. If you do not mind using f1.8 both 50 f1.8 and 35mm f1.8 afs is super affordable provided this is the focus length you would like to work with.
    haven't figured out my favorite focal length yet lol, still afraid to step into primes

  16. #36
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    Okay last question from me - i've read about focus issues with the 18-35, (misfocussing) is it true, and if yes is it really that bad?
    So far no issues with my Sigma 18-35. If there is some off focus, just adjust it using AF finetune for a one time adjustment. But you should do all these before the event. Once set properly, just shoot away.

  17. #37
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    places I shoot at : hall (with almost all the lights are off except for some which are dimmed), outdoors at night with few lamps. And some of the times during these events it would be fast paced movement (ie dance as mentioned)
    Or you can set up some off camera flashese on small light stands around the area....

  18. #38
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,033

    Default Re: Choosing a fast lens

    Monopod or tripod will also get you there even using a slow lens...

    Of course if it is a loud thumping place there might be some issue...
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 12th January 2016 at 12:47 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    So far no issues with my Sigma 18-35. If there is some off focus, just adjust it using AF finetune for a one time adjustment. But you should do all these before the event. Once set properly, just shoot away.
    The USB dock right?

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Monopod or tripod will also get you there even using a slow lens... Of course if it is a loud thumping place there might be some issue...
    there will be too much motion blur to my liking..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •