Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11

    Default Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Hello all!

    Just wanna clarify if let's say I take a photo at lower peirce reservoir and there are people in it, but due to the fact that it's a long exposure they appear to be quite blurry, do i actually need their consent/release in order for me to submit my image onto stock photography websites to sell?

    Model release - I engage a model to shoot and I need her to sign it, not those that appear in my photograph on the streets right?

    Property release - Do I need to actually email the property owner to get a release before I can submit to sell my photo?

    Crowd Release - I need more help on this

    Thanks all in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    The agency you are submitting your images to should have info/guidelines on what is required, can check with them. The test is usually 'recognizability'.

    Example:

    All images containing recognizable people require a model release. There are no exceptions. Look at the image and ask yourself “Could any of these people depicted recognize themselves in this picture?“ If so, you will need a model release. Sometimes the context of an image is enough to make a person recognizable, even if their face isn't visible. We have provided detailed examples here of what kind of images require releases.

    http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell...model-releases
    6.2 Property Releases

    Sometimes we will need to see a signed and witnessed property release indicating you have obtained permission to photograph a particular location, building, or object.

    The requirements for a property release isn't as clear-cut as for a model release, because there is no specific right of privacy that attaches to property, as it does to people. Having said that, there are at least two reasons for obtaining property releases: a) on the theory that a person's identity might be connected to the property in question (such as where a person's property is used in a manner that might defame the person as owner); and b) on the basis that to use someone's property for commercial gain without their consent may amount to an offence called “conversion”. Also, if you go on someone's property to take a picture of them or their property, it could amount to trespass.

    iStock recommends that a Property Release be obtained when the image contains identifiable property wherever possible (this isn't just for houses, it could apply to pets, cars and other personal property. The more recognizable and unique the property (and the more the owner's identity might be connected to or determined from the property) the greater the need for a property release.

    http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell...perty-releases
    http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=648
    Last edited by kandinsky; 6th January 2016 at 04:22 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by nibihz View Post
    Hello all!

    Just wanna clarify if let's say I take a photo at lower peirce reservoir and there are people in it, but due to the fact that it's a long exposure they appear to be quite blurry, do i actually need their consent/release in order for me to submit my image onto stock photography websites to sell?

    Model release - I engage a model to shoot and I need her to sign it, not those that appear in my photograph on the streets right?

    Property release - Do I need to actually email the property owner to get a release before I can submit to sell my photo?

    Crowd Release - I need more help on this

    Thanks all in advance!
    Model release: You will need model release for each identifiable human being appear in that photo to be use as stock photo.
    So if you shoot a street scene, you still need model release for anyone appear on your photos to enable to be use for commercial purpose, however, you don't need to obtain model release for uploading the photos as editorial image.

    As different stock agencies have different standards on the model release issue, and also, the inspectors will examine each image individually. So you said the people in your photos are quite blurry is no use, the inspectors will have the final say.

    Property Release: Yes, most of the case it is. You should ask for a release before you take their photos.


    There is no crowd release;
    As long the crowd did not appear to be in an organized event, you can get away without obtain model release for the crowd.
    Eg, Party goers having fun in a beach party, can only upload into editorial collection.
    Beach goers sunbathing at the beach, yes, you can try upload the into creative collection.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    judging from your profile and your questions, I guess you are new to stock photography.

    one thing you might want to take note, there are billion of photos in stock agencies nowadays.

    days are gone for you can upload any photos make some quick bucks in stock photography.

    although you can upload some random street scene, cityscape, landscape photos to stock agencies, but as a newcomer, may take a few years to make some money for you to buy a 50mm f1.8 lens.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    The agency you are submitting your images to should have info/guidelines on what is required, can check with them. The test is usually 'recognizability'.

    Example:





    http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=648
    Thanks so much!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Model release: You will need model release for each identifiable human being appear in that photo to be use as stock photo.
    So if you shoot a street scene, you still need model release for anyone appear on your photos to enable to be use for commercial purpose, however, you don't need to obtain model release for uploading the photos as editorial image.

    As different stock agencies have different standards on the model release issue, and also, the inspectors will examine each image individually. So you said the people in your photos are quite blurry is no use, the inspectors will have the final say.

    Property Release: Yes, most of the case it is. You should ask for a release before you take their photos.


    There is no crowd release;
    As long the crowd did not appear to be in an organized event, you can get away without obtain model release for the crowd.
    Eg, Party goers having fun in a beach party, can only upload into editorial collection.
    Beach goers sunbathing at the beach, yes, you can try upload the into creative collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    judging from your profile and your questions, I guess you are new to stock photography.

    one thing you might want to take note, there are billion of photos in stock agencies nowadays.

    days are gone for you can upload any photos make some quick bucks in stock photography.

    although you can upload some random street scene, cityscape, landscape photos to stock agencies, but as a newcomer, may take a few years to make some money for you to buy a 50mm f1.8 lens.
    Hi catchlights,

    Yes I am new to stock photography, I'm just exploring into that area haha.

    Maybe I'll just stick to posting normally on 500px

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by nibihz View Post
    Hi catchlights,

    Yes I am new to stock photography, I'm just exploring into that area haha.

    Maybe I'll just stick to posting normally on 500px
    Just to let you know that more people are quitting then joining the stock photography bandwagon nowadays, you can tell the trends by the post in microstock forum, and also those blog post and youtube video.

    you still can try, but don't put too high hope on the returns, it takes many years of hard work to reach the next level.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Just to let you know that more people are quitting then joining the stock photography bandwagon nowadays, you can tell the trends by the post in microstock forum, and also those blog post and youtube video.

    you still can try, but don't put too high hope on the returns, it takes many years of hard work to reach the next level.
    Yeah I understand, photography is more of a hobby than career for me, i only shoot during the weekends when I'm not working so i don't really need to join stock photography, just curious on how it works

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Property Release, Model Release, Crowd Release...

    Quote Originally Posted by nibihz View Post
    Yeah I understand, photography is more of a hobby than career for me, i only shoot during the weekends when I'm not working so i don't really need to join stock photography, just curious on how it works
    simply put it, you upload photos to stock agencies, than photo buyers buy the photos which they find it useful from the agencies, the photo buyer pay a fee for the licensing to use the photo on their project, than agencies take a BIG chuck of the money, what is left is yours.

    from the agencies POV, there no harm and no cost (low cost) to get more photographers to upload photos into their collections.

    so the big question is, what kind of photos are more sellable and can you produce these photos?

    unlike uploading photos to flickr or 500px, there is a lot more works for photographers to upload their photos to stock agencies, if you know there is very low returns or zero returns, regardless is pro or hobby level, do you think it still worth the efforts?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •