Thread: Advice on buying Cameras

Default Advice on buying Cameras

Bought a A520 for a long overseas trip earlier in the year. Was pretty happy with it and its performance. Now tempted to upgrade in terms of Megapixel. Saw the new A620 that is out with 7 megapixel. Would like to ask you all here for advice. Should I go for the A620 as an upgrade or should I jump to semi pro cam such as FZ30 to avoid buying more and more cameras? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Advice on buying Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Bought a A520 for a long overseas trip earlier in the year. Was pretty happy with it and its performance. Now tempted to upgrade in terms of Megapixel. Saw the new A620 that is out with 7 megapixel. Would like to ask you all here for advice. Should I go for the A620 as an upgrade or should I jump to semi pro cam such as FZ30 to avoid buying more and more cameras? Thank you in advance.
    may 1 2 ask urself if d extra pixel count is necessary. such increase means u need a larger capacity memory card, portable image bank & faster com 4 processing d image.

but b4 jumping onto d prosumer bandwagon, consider d size of such cam. its not every1's cup of tea. but IMO, i prefer a prosumer cam(thou i cant afford) 4 its wider features.

Deregistered

How large do you print?

If you only intend to print 4R, then you definitely don't need 7MP. In fact, 2MP is sufficient for 4R already.

y do u need 7mp? even 5mp can print super 8R nicely. i printed S8R with my A95. u print bigger than S8R?

i think those 7mp cams are just marketing gimmicks la. seirously, dont waste your time and money

Pardon me, Im pretty new to all this hence might ask some really dumb questions. Okay I get the understanding that if I do not need to blow my pictures up, I do not need a 7 megalixel cam. Then what is the purpose of the high megapixels? Would it make a difference in quality say for a picture shot using a 4 megapixel and a 7 megapixel and both blown up to 4R?

Deregistered

I won't consider it dumb because I myself went thru that phase before I own a 5MP.

MP is like CPU speed & RAM, it makes people yearn for more, pyschologically, more is good. Why do you think computers sell easily? People don't care what the computer can do, people just look at numbers. It plays the mind.

Don't forget, a 7mp sensor would be noiser than a 4mp, the sensor size doesn't change much, but more photosites are squeezed into the sensor.

4R you can't see difference, when you go larger, you'll see the difference.

thank you all for the advice.... !

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Pardon me, Im pretty new to all this hence might ask some really dumb questions. Okay I get the understanding that if I do not need to blow my pictures up, I do not need a 7 megalixel cam. Then what is the purpose of the high megapixels? Would it make a difference in quality say for a picture shot using a 4 megapixel and a 7 megapixel and both blown up to 4R?
    IMO if u not printing ur pics above super 8R den 5MP is more den sufficient pixels.

got higher pixel count on newer compact cams is more of a marketing gimmic.

asked some industry friends (media) and they said that comparing a 7mp and a 4mp pic on a 4R photo. the result is the 7mp is too sharp and looks fake. Is that true?