Thread: Taking Portraits with Flash.. help/advice needed

Default Taking Portraits with Flash.. help/advice needed

Hello need some help here...

my fren's Graduation coming up over here in london... will be helping them take some pictures... should be outdoor... Hoping to put my SB800 to good use... i should be using my D70 with 50mm F1.8 and also the 80-200AFS and the flash...

What i found when i mount the flash onto the Hotshoe is that the FLASH is too harsh... is there
    something wrong with the settings? Can suggest some way to overcome that problem? (sorry but i am really lacking in experience regarding the operation of the SB800) Thank you very much in advance... cheers...

Default Re: Taking Portraits with Flash.. help/advice needed

Thanks Joho... anyone else?

hte cheapest method is to get some tracing paper and stick it/wrap it over the flash. that will diffuse the light and reduce the harsh unless you are very near to the couple and you are shooting at f1.8 or 2.8.

alternatively, switch your flash to auto mode. personally i find that auto mode is more reliable

the light source would be the same size if u simply use tracing paper to stick/wrap the head and that would have similar results as an unwrapped flash head (flash will compensate by emitting more light, negating the effects of the lightspurce).

if u're shooting outdoor during the day, shoot with one of the auto modes and reduce harshness of the flash by applying negative flash exposure compensation. but watch out for the shutter speeds. the D70 can only go a max of 1/500s when using the flash (higher end Nikon cameras support high speed sync but not the D70).
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th October 2005 at 09:34 AM.

If there's a ceiling, bounce off it. If not, use as big a bouncecard as you can handle. How soft a light source is depends on the both the texture and size of the radiating surface.

thanks guys... would it help if I positioned the flash off the hotshoe? will it give me more natural results? i dun really like the harsh shadows produced by flash... so maybe ask them to stand further away from the walls?