30th December 2015, 11:12 PM
Question: Recommendation for Wide Angle Lens Converter & Macro for LX7 User
Hi Guys... I'm an amateur photographer who owns a Panasonic Lumix LX7 for couple of years now and thinking of doing some "upgrading" and investing in some wide angle lens converters and other accessories to improve...
I use the camera for:
- Landscape shots
- Architecture and Interior Photography
- 1/12 Action Figure Toy Photograph (hence macro)
I did some research and came across some technicalities that I am unsure:
- If I don't want to use an adaptor, I should be looking at 52mm diameter screw for LX7, correct?
- Saw some wide angle lens converter with 0.8x, 0.45x and 0.5x etc... Do they represent the amount of conversion? The smaller the number, the wider the field of view and thus greater distortion, correct?
- Typed "Wide Angle Lens Converter" into Carousell and saw brands like Emolux, Vitacon, etc. Are these any good? What brand and price range should I expect for these "upgrades"?
Any help / advice appreciated... Thanks in advance and Happy New Year...!
31st December 2015, 02:33 AM
Re: Question: Recommendation for Wide Angle Lens Converter & Macro for LX7 User
A- You have to check camera manual the actual diameter screwthread of your lens which I think is 37mm.A measurement with a ruler gives an approximation.So you must get same diameter or use an adapter(basically a step up ring to a bigger one).Do take note of the weight and size when attaching to your lens.
Originally Posted by Zelevol
B- Conversion factor..smaller number means wider angle.Your lx7 lens is 24mm at the widest so 0.45 X 24 = 10.8mm equivalent angle.
C- As to what brands..your guess is as good as mine.Can't comment on image quality as it's personal and you want to stretch the use of your camera.It's a cheaper solution though.
For macro I would have thought the macro focusing of your lens should be sufficient.However if you want to get closer then again you will need same diameter screwthread or adapter for closeup lens.
There's +1, +2, +3 power.
Edit: To be frank these cameras are not designed to use wide angle convertors because their fixed zoom are already wide angle ( 24 -90mm ,35mm equivalent ),their plastic lens barrel may not take the heavy load so beware although you can see people use these on youtube however closeup lenses for macro are fine as they are light in weight.The design envisage that the fixed zoom fulfill most of users needs.
Last edited by one eye jack; 31st December 2015 at 09:23 AM.