Thread: The right Memory Card for D800/D810 to do travelling and mini performance

Default The right Memory Card for D800/D810 to do travelling and mini performance

Hi to all D800/D810 users

As everyone knows that Lexar (1000x) and Sandisk (extreme pro) are the best choice for memory cards. But which version in terms of size and speed actually just nice suits best for D800/D810( the sweet spot).

Regards
    Last edited by ErikaT; 28th December 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Default Re: The right Memory Card for D800/D810 to do travelling and mini performance

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaT View Post

As everyone knows that Lexar (1000x) and Sandisk (extreme pro) are the best choice for memory cards. But which version in terms of size and speed actually just nice suits best for D800/D810( the sweet spot).

Regards
    If you are thinking of SD cards,I don't think so.Best bet are CF memory cards.Read carefully.
    It has to do with camera's hardware design..even with usb 3.0 it's surprising.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nik...-cf-card-tests

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nik...rd-speed-tests

Default Re: The right Memory Card for D800/D810 to do travelling and mini performance

Regards
    it depends on your shooting habit.

1. do you shoot raw?
    2. do you shoot video?
    3. do you shoot the whole day?
    4. do you do continuous burst shots?

The 'sweet spot' is a balance of different factors, an area where all factors are within acceptable range. Now: what is your acceptable range?
    Basically, every memory card fulfilling the technical criteria should work. According tech specs, the supported card types are: Compact Flash (Type I), SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-I compliant
    What special requirements do you have?
    Speed: only relevant for gunning down shots (sports, action, wildlife) or for taking video. Keep in mind your camera has a buffer for writing images to the card, the size is more than sufficient for normal shooting. For video, check the recommended card types in the manual. There is no need to get the fastest cards (besides: the read/write speed figures can be grossly inflated), get the card that fulfills Nikon's recommendations.
    Capacity: it is generally better to have several smaller cards instead of one card with huge capacity. Agreed, the 'price per GB' is better for the single large card, but so is also the 'data loss per card' if this single card dies.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by tiago View Post
    it depends on your shooting habit.

1. do you shoot raw?
    2. do you shoot video?
    3. do you shoot the whole day?
    4. do you do continuous burst shots?
    For the mini performance I bet I will be taking everything in raw (so the more capacity is better)

But for the speed section, which card speed is suits D800 specification? Please dont tell me the fastest card suits it best, as the dslr may not even par with the card writing speed

Regards

Please dont tell me the fastest card suits it best, as the dslr may not even par with the card writing speed
    Highly unlikely for recent cameras. The write speed capabilities of the cards are the typical bottleneck.
    EOS