Thread: How do you find events to shoot/cover?

Default How do you find events to shoot/cover?

Hello!

How do you all find events to cover? Well i probably should introduce myself a little first, i am currently a student in Singapore Polytechnic, Visual Effects, and love photography, i'm looking to improve and broaden my photography portfolio, getting paid isn't really my priority but more for the experience, i've been trying to find events to cover(as photographer of course) for awhile now but so far no luck, so i'm curious how do you all got started? please do share! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How do you find events to shoot/cover?

is a catch 22 situation, if you have noting to show (no portfolio), unlikely anyone will give you an assignment, some people might just take you as free labour.

if you want to go thru proper way, find some working photographers to ask for tagging along, be humble and show enthusiasm. and don't try to hand out your business card or pull some business while you are shooting their assignments, it is very unprofessional.

another way is to find those RC/CC events around your neighbourhood, using that as practising, they (RC members) will welcome you to volunteer your service, do remember these are community activities, so don't expect to be paid. Likewise you can also approach charity organisations to volunteer your services. Do understand these are volunteer works, if you thinking using these as networking for paid gig, is a long shot.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hey catchlights! thanks for sharing! really appreciate it! i do have portfolio of sort!, i always like to post my photos on 500px for sharing, you mentioned look for working photographers, but how does one do that though?, i would definitely look for CC events to cover, thats great advice! thanks again!
    www.500px.com/aljw | Portfoilo

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ljw View Post
    Hey catchlights! thanks for sharing! really appreciate it! i do have portfolio of sort!, i always like to post my photos on 500px for sharing, you mentioned look for working photographers, but how does one do that though?, i would definitely look for CC events to cover, thats great advice! thanks again!
    Follow catchlights..........

Festive Season is round the corner. If you are invited or get yourself invited to parties. Ask the Host permission if you can be the photographer for the event to create your portfolio. Do the same for birthday and wedding of friends and relative. Hopefully, along the way, someone will pay you to shoot. Good luck.

...i'm looking to improve and broaden my photography portfolio, getting paid isn't really my priority but more for the experience, i've been trying to find events to cover(as photographer of course) for awhile now but so far no luck, so i'm curious how do you all got started? please do share! Thanks in advance!
    You can consider volunteering? Look out for non-profits with causes you care about, my guess is smaller less-established ones may be more willing to give you a chance, assuming they get less attention from volunteers in general.

One org I read about some time back seeks to do connect ppl with charities: Creatives for Causes.
    Disclaimer: Am not affiliated with them, and have no personal experience with them.

How do we work?
    If you register with us as a "Creative for Causes", we will include your name in our databases and send you regular volunteering and job opportunities for you to sign up.​

We provide a flexible scheme for our volunteers and you can accept assignments based on your own interests, time and availability.

Once you commit to an assignment, we will put you in touch with the charity or business.
    http://www.creativesforcauses.com/#!volunteer/c8k2

Everything sounds fine, except that the org (CFC) also wants to share copyright of work?? This bugs me. Maybe the devil's in the details and a matter of poor wording? If what they want is merely the license/right to use created work in their portfolio (as they mentioned) I can understand.

But to actually share copyright with them, I don't know if this is how such 'in-between' orgs usually function

4. Who does the copyright belong to?
    The copyrights will be shared among the volunteer, organisation and CFC. CFC and the volunteers have the right to use the work for our portfolio.

5. What does CFC expect from charities it helps?
    As assignments are completed at a pro bono rate, we hope that your organization will be able to credit the volunteer and Creatives for Causes on your publicity materials, social media profiles and website.

Charity organizations do not have many activites, and some of them don't allow photographers to use the photos for portfolio because of their clienta they served.
    Birthday parties are not a good idea becasue of PDPA thingy. It is a private function, as long one of them said no, none of the photos can be use as portfolio, in the end photographers are shooting free for nothing.
    Personally I think CC/RC events is the better choice, there are planty of them available, since they don't really hire photographers except some special events, so you go and shoot for free won't consider as spoiling market.

Deregistered

Hello!

How do you all find events to cover? Well i probably should introduce myself a little first, i am currently a student in Singapore Polytechnic, Visual Effects, and love photography, i'm looking to improve and broaden my photography portfolio, getting paid isn't really my priority but more for the experience, i've been trying to find events to cover(as photographer of course) for awhile now but so far no luck, so i'm curious how do you all got started? please do share! Thanks in advance!
    join photography groups to go on outings, there are many such outings available, you just need to search around a bit for the right groups

go out and have fun, explore, experiment and there's really no need to 'cover events'

It's more important to build up a credible portfolio first - for example a site / FB page where people can look at your work , it won't be easy to simply start shooting paid events.

Either ask the paid professionals for u to tag along or start by joining the photowalks , photoshoots.

Sometimes we neglect to inform that forming relationships with the right people do matter too. All the best

You are welcome.

If you plan to take some event photography assignments, building portfolio of relevant subject is the way to go, you need photos of people receiving awards, shaking hands, signing documents, giving speech, ribbon cutting, group photo poses etc.

you can't show photos of stray cats or dogs, or abandon bicycles, or sunrise sunset or some arty farty photos to prospective clients. Nobody is interested to see that!

You can consider joining MPA (Master Photographer Association) as student photographer, most full members there are working professionals.

Hope this help.