Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

  1. #21
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Actually 99% of people can not tell if you are holding a FX camera or even care you hold or own one. LOL. The sad human perspective unfortunately to be more likely, the more pricey the gear, the more expectation people have for you to take good photos and sometime we put that pressure on ourselves. Especially so of the kind of people who actually would want to see what camera you own. Which can be good or bad. Don't let peer pressure, festive period and just about getting your bonus cause you to make impulsive buys.

    Most camera even at entry level pricing range has more then tackle almost 99% of all the things you want to do with a camera to take great shots. Anything more you are paying for are only incrementally better functionality, automation..etc.When I show my friend my photos, they are not asking me what camera I use. They are asking how did I managed to spot something like that and use such an angle to capture it or simply say, wow that is a nice photo you took. And sometime, it is not even a well taken shot by my standard and sometime, it was my lightroom editing that made it even better. It was the subject in the photo that caught their eye more then anything else.

    I could tell you what camera I would pick but I think giving you some off photography buying rationale would do you as much good too for consideration.
    Last edited by sammy888; 18th December 2015 at 01:38 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Actually 99% of people can not tell if you are holding a FX camera or even care you hold or own one. LOL. The sad human perspective unfortunately to be more likely, the more pricey the gear, the more expectation people have for you to take good photos and sometime we put that pressure on ourselves. Especially so of the kind of people who actually would want to see what camera you own. Which can be good or bad. Don't let peer pressure, festive period and just about getting your bonus cause you to make impulsive buys.

    Most camera even at entry level pricing range has more then tackle almost 99% of all the things you want to do with a camera to take great shots. Anything more you are paying for are only incrementally better functionality, automation..etc.When I show my friend my photos, they are not asking me what camera I use. They are asking how did I managed to spot something like that and use such an angle to capture it or simply say, wow that is a nice photo you took. And sometime, it is not even a well taken shot by my standard and sometime, it was my lightroom editing that made it even better. It was the subject in the photo that caught their eye more then anything else.

    I could tell you what camera I would pick but I think giving you some off photography buying rationale would do you as much good too for consideration.
    Lovely advice, would update this space before the new year starts on what gear I bought can't wait


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

  3. #23

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Already lots of good advice.
    But one thing to note is that the default output tends to be consistent across a brand (even accounting for the consumer/enthusiast/pro models). It is subtle and not anything that can't be processed from another brand's images but sometimes one brand's default output will just appeal to some people more.
    People swear by the Leica look, or Fuji's JPEGs or Olympus etc.

    Nothing has been said of whether the T/S shoot RAW or jpegs but even for RAW shooters, some photographers will just find files from a certain brand or model easier to get their final output. If you read Ming Thein's blog, and he's certainly no novice, he speaks highly of the colours from the Canon 5DSR even if other aspects of IQ may be superior from other brands. So what is appealing or considered good/superior can be very subjective, especially when it comes to colour. I actually don't think the output from APS-C vs FF are easily distinguishable unless you're pushing the boundaries of the shooting envelope so I'd hazard a guess the appeal of the 6D has more to do with Canon colours.

    Sometimes if your heart is set on something, just go for it. At the end of the day its only money. But of course money has different value for different people.
    I think the forum is just advising you to make sure you know what you're chasing if you do decide to switch. Learn so that you understand what exactly you gain by switching/staying with a brand.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Yes, buying a expensive camera then neglecting it in future is so pointless right? I mean buying a good camera with lower cost but using it to earn you that good camera. That's my main idea now


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Chai View Post
    Yes, buying a expensive camera then neglecting it in future is so pointless right? I mean buying a good camera with lower cost but using it to earn you that good camera. That's my main idea now


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus
    Trust me brother... many of us old birds who are into more then 5 to 10 camera bodies over the years, we have all been where you are now. heh

    Lesson can be hard learned sometime. Don't fall into the same hole we did if you can help not risk it. Your time will come when you finally realise your interest is not a passing fancy, and your skill level has reached a certain level of understanding, there will be many more cameras you will upgrade to over the years.
    Last edited by sammy888; 18th December 2015 at 11:55 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  6. #26
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Already lots of good advice.
    But one thing to note is that the default output tends to be consistent across a brand (even accounting for the consumer/enthusiast/pro models). It is subtle and not anything that can't be processed from another brand's images but sometimes one brand's default output will just appeal to some people more.
    People swear by the Leica look, or Fuji's JPEGs or Olympus etc.

    Nothing has been said of whether the T/S shoot RAW or jpegs but even for RAW shooters, some photographers will just find files from a certain brand or model easier to get their final output. If you read Ming Thein's blog, and he's certainly no novice, he speaks highly of the colours from the Canon 5DSR even if other aspects of IQ may be superior from other brands. So what is appealing or considered good/superior can be very subjective, especially when it comes to colour. I actually don't think the output from APS-C vs FF are easily distinguishable unless you're pushing the boundaries of the shooting envelope so I'd hazard a guess the appeal of the 6D has more to do with Canon colours.

    Sometimes if your heart is set on something, just go for it. At the end of the day its only money. But of course money has different value for different people.
    I think the forum is just advising you to make sure you know what you're chasing if you do decide to switch. Learn so that you understand what exactly you gain by switching/staying with a brand.
    The general sentiment I get from a lot of people online, youtube and actual shooters, when asked, they use Canon because the color space for Portraits is better right out of the camera. The skin tone are a mark different. And I do see that it is compared to Nikon. But then again, I am hardly someone who shoot portrait much and in fact I like stark colors and good contrast. Nikon does it for me. And also for dynamis range and noise, Nkon was king for sometime. But gap is closing again. That's the way it is. A game of leap frog.

    It is how Canon tweak their sensor to pick colors and process them with their own algorithm.

    That is why for example many brands uses Sony sensors, some might say, that means all the results are the same no different. That is not truth. Once the image is capture by the sensor, before it gets to the memory card, it goes thru the digital processing that is owned and set by say Nikon or Canon or Leica ..etc.

    Also, like you say, shot Jpeg or RAW? Also if your home monitor calibrated to show you the exact color that Nikon or Canon want you to see? heh. In any case, that is why if you want full control over how you want the color or quality of the shot to look, you need to know it is ot just about the camera, you have to start looking at other components that will be in play including learning to use Photoshop or Lightroom to refine it. And because you know how to use Lightroom or Photoshop, you can get a Nikon shot to look like a Canon color space heh.

    Tell us the good news of what you bought in the end Marcus.
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th December 2015 at 12:13 AM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!



    More into landscapes and portraits, not doing any sports. I'm planning on a 5D classic or a D7100. What would be the best choice guys.

    I know lens plays a part as well. The photo was taken by 85mm 1.4


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

  8. #28
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    All the specs you want on those two cameras. Ultimately in the end... nothing beats renting both to try out for yourself.

    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EO...D7100/detailed
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Some ppl just wan to be hao lian, so they insist on buying FF.

    I always like to give analogy of buying swimming trucks. Whatever trucks u buy for swimming, its not going to make u swim faster and better.

    The only difference it will make is to make u look better.

    Can swim, means can swim. No trucks ain't gonna to help u swim.
    I beg to differ... no trunks can still swim, but no camera cannot take photograph!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Chai View Post


    More into landscapes and portraits, not doing any sports. I'm planning on a 5D classic or a D7100. What would be the best choice guys.

    I know lens plays a part as well. The photo was taken by 85mm 1.4


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus
    Joking aside, I can use the analogy in another way... to a beginner in swimming like me, it does not matter if I wear shorts or swimming trunks or what brand of swimming trunks... my timing will never reach that of eg national squad swimmers. Until I put in years of training, then I will know my body style and which swimming trunk will help me eke out that last few milliseconds that determines whether I get into the squad or miss the timing (then again that is a huge 'if' even if I put in years of training heh...)

    Btw the subject in your shot is out of focus... 5D and D7100 are very different beasts, both will fulfill your requirements if you know the limitations of each. As other seniors have pointed out, it's more important to invest in training. However my take is that if you need new gear to make you go out and shoot more then why not

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    TS, if you have already decided on a Canon, then get it. Just be aware that changing systems will be expensive, but if you can afford it, why not? Yes spoil yourself once in awhile.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    With Nikon 3xxx, 5xxx, 7xxx the camera models add very nice bonus features at each tier but one will discover that results can be very similar. Also keep in mind some higher end models can sometime be less forgiving. Good analogy I think is old film...c41 has few stops of forgiveness exposure wise...slide film one better be spot on exposure.

    My deal is I like certain lenses which are all full frame. I no longer get along with a dx camera...in fact crop factor drives me crazy.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 19th December 2015 at 02:45 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  12. #32

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Wild life, sports, action-packed stuff. I guess all these need a kick ass 7Dmarkii or 5Dmarkiii to get the job done. Among 50 photos it can cover over half with correct focus point


    Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

  13. #33

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    It is how Canon tweak their sensor to pick colors and process them with their own algorithm.

    That is why for example many brands uses Sony sensors, some might say, that means all the results are the same no different. That is not truth. Once the image is capture by the sensor, before it gets to the memory card, it goes thru the digital processing that is owned and set by say Nikon or Canon or Leica ..etc.

    Also, like you say, shot Jpeg or RAW? Also if your home monitor calibrated to show you the exact color that Nikon or Canon want you to see? heh. In any case, that is why if you want full control over how you want the color or quality of the shot to look, you need to know it is ot just about the camera, you have to start looking at other components that will be in play including learning to use Photoshop or Lightroom to refine it. And because you know how to use Lightroom or Photoshop, you can get a Nikon shot to look like a Canon color space heh.
    I'd even go a little bit more than that actually since some of those colour differences are due to hardware. The CFA is most certainly different across the various brands using Sony base sensors let alone Canon ones resulting in different levels of colour filtration before we even get to any form of digital processing. So there are some underlying differences that although subtle, just makes one brand appeal more to some. Again if you know your workflow you can get anything to look like something else but why jump through hoops if you can get closer to what you want straight out of the box.
    On top of that, first party lenses also contribute to the look. Nikon's N coating and Zeiss T* coatings all have signatures and I'm sure it's the same for Canon except I'm less familiar with their offerings.

    So to Marcus, what I'm saying is sometimes you need to follow the heart since photography is a hobby of passion although some of us have a very scientific (geeky lol) approach to things.
    If getting results you desire inspires you too learn more rather than frustration at something that is fundamentally subjective, then go for it.

    As sammy888 said, some of us old birds have gone through multiple bodies and possibly multiple brands and have learnt a few things along the way. Just trying to save you some heartaches and money along the way.

  14. #34
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Actually 99% of people can not tell if you are holding a FX camera or even care you hold or own one. LOL. ................................................
    TS is the 1% of people who look at someone else camera.


    and there are so many 1% people out there, they are posting threads here asking for which full frame cameras they should go for, sounds very familiar isn't it. lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    If you feel that canon is giving the best result for you straight out, just go for it. But ff or crop, that's up to you to decide.

    Should there come a time when you no longer blinded by the bokeh, you will realize that both are very similar. Bokeh is just one method of subject isolation.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

    TS is the 1% of people who look at someone else camera.

    and there are so many 1% people out there, they are posting threads here asking for which full frame cameras they should go for, sounds very familiar isn't it. lol
    Hahaha. Tons of "photographers" always complain about their own camera.

    Statments like "not sharp enough", "focusing not fast enough", "color not nice" etc, etc. And they all think that FF is the remedy to all these problems.
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

  17. #37
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KonTrol View Post
    Hahaha. Tons of "photographers" always complain about their own camera.

    Statments like "not sharp enough", "focusing not fast enough", "color not nice" etc, etc. And they all think that FF is the remedy to all these problems.

    It's like a drug addict syndrome heh Once you are caught in that one single thought in your head, till it is satisfied, no matter what anyone tell you, your mind will sub-conscientiously telling you otherwise.

    How many of us recall, the times we die die must buy something that caught our attention or even influenced that it's time to change it? You could have started off with the right idea to buy or upgrade an old item. But as you read and hear more and more comments which also start to introduce you to more varieties available with even more flashy features or whatever, suddenly, we get swept up past logical rationale. Initially budget $1000 and now you are pushing even further, wanting, justifying to pay for some even better. It all started with just wanting a slightly better product over your old and not over spent. As the lusting washed over you further on even if you hear something bad about it or your choice of purchase is past what you needed, it can not penetrate your usual logical brain. Your brain will keep coming out with counter arguments. Then you buy it and within sometimes a week or within a day, you already regret it or felt that euphoria fizzes out and reality sets in. heh.

    I just hope our fellow shooter here is not caught in that tidal wave. Okay maybe we are being too concern in that sense and sound almost like spoilsport coming between a man and his toy. Or maybe it is a good thing, we are the horrible warning photo on a cigarette pack. LOL

    Consumerism drug. Especially during a festive season and if you have the cash ( by whatever means available to you) ...it is all very hypnotic. That's how good marketing can get,

    I am too geeky for that. Thank goodness. I research something to death for months before I buy. By the time I buy, I am calm. Even indifference about it as I take it home and unbox. In my mind, I have been playing with it over and over again during my researching. I was calm as a cucumber when I got my D4 spanking brand new. And that's jumping from a D300. If you pay $50-100 for an item, sure,. be crazy, impulsive and buy it. Regret later? No big deal. But when you are talking a few thousands, even if you can afford it. You still would want to love yourself enough being proud you made a smarter choice and feel good for it right?

    Almost never happen with me for photo or other nerdy geek gears but yes regrettably with choices of past girlfriends ...sigh....Never again. LOL.

    Even with the new D5 coming out. I am rock steady. For what I need was and still IS serving me well. Maybe for a couple more years unless I break it.

    We hope you make the right choice Marcus. And hope you will enjoy it for a long time.... till your next upgrade frenzy.
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th December 2015 at 02:25 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  18. #38
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    See my self-coined favorite signature line below my msg ?

    "A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio"

    That's not something to preach to people but something to remind myself. Any photographer who have reach a certain level of competence will tell you the same thing.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  19. #39
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    @sammy888, feels all too familiar to me...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #40
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    See my self-coined favorite signature line below my msg ?

    "A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio"

    That's not something to preach to people but something to remind myself. Any photographer who have reach a certain level of competence will tell you the same thing.
    fyi,

    many members login ClubSNAP via mobile devices nowadays, signature won't show up in the ClubSNAP app. it can easily tell who are they by their sms type of posting, and footnote of the apps.

    and for your formal and long posting, can tell you are the old school former.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •