Thread: PLease shoot my photo down

Wink PLease shoot my photo down

Hi Folks,
    I did a few experiment with My D70s...
    Being an Amateur, I really know nuts about a lot of things.

Like to seek advice from gurus here on how i can improve the following shot.

Thanks

Deregistered

Default Re: PLease shoot my photo down

Perhaps we can start with how you feel yourself this shot can achieve and what it can improve and also what this shot means to u

Wink Re: PLease shoot my photo down

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Perhaps we can start with how you feel yourself this shot can achieve and what it can improve and also what this shot means to u
    actually to be frank, it was one of the first few shots i took when i first bought my d70s 2 months back.....
    It was like, hmmm... try....hmmm...aim....hmmmm shoot..... hmmmm got the shot...

was not really thinking of what the shot can achieve..... so technically this shot has no special meaning for me.

This shot is actually taken during dinner with my jc frens...

As to what to improve... i am thinking that
    was the focus right?
    is the color composition okay?
    what camera settings can i adopt to shoot a similiar shoot better...

i mean...i really have so much to learn... =)
    trying to pack all criticism to improve myself..

maybe you can also help by telling what you feel from that shot...
    thanks

Deregistered

Focus seems right to me, colour composition, the contrast is very highly pushed, but if you meant for that I guess it's pretty ok

I liked the way you positioned him in the frame that it looks like a publishable image in a newspaper or something, however, there's a body figure near the white board behind, probably a mirror.

oh... should i PS that body away? will it help to make the picture better composed?

and yes....the contrast was pushed by me....
    in photography sense, is that a taboo?

Picture is glaring, the lighting seems harsh, evident also on the person's forehead. Using bounceflash could help to improve the pic.

List down your camera settings, it helps in giving advice.

oh i did not use flash at all...
    basically, used the auto mode of D70s.

What is a bounceflash?

Bounce flash is directing light from a flash unit off a wall, ceiling, etc., instead of pointing it straight at the subject. This would soften the harshness from the flash light thus making it more natural.

Blog Entries

the green ikea chairs are distracting

Background too cluttered, therefore distracting.
    If you are looking for a nice portrait shot try not to have a light shining down directly at the person; it casts ugly shadows at the eyes (due to the glasses) and the chin.

A tighter crop will also do good.

You have heard quite a bit about problems with this image. And the comments are not wrong.

But considering the fact that this is really a snap shot of your friend, I think it is a fairly good attempt.

If I were to take this image of your friend right in this place, the only things I might do a little differently is positioning myself to reduce the clutter. There is often little you can do to change the light in such places. Of course if you want to take an image of your friend in another location with nice soft light and uncluttered background, you might even have a fairly decent image without trying too hard! NO need for bounce flash etc. But this is not the case. So you live with the limitations you have.

And I kinda like it!

oh i see, thanks

thanks noted

Quote Originally Posted by student
    You have heard quite a bit about problems with this image. And the comments are not wrong.

But considering the fact that this is really a snap shot of your friend, I think it is a fairly good attempt.

If I were to take this image of your friend right in this place, the only things I might do a little differently is positioning myself to reduce the clutter. There is often little you can do to change the light in such places. Of course if you want to take an image of your friend in another location with nice soft light and uncluttered background, you might even have a fairly decent image without trying too hard! NO need for bounce flash etc. But this is not the case. So you live with the limitations you have.

And I kinda like it!
    yeah,,,thanks for all the comments, i am still learning =)

not every shot has to be "improved"...

as many have mentioned, it's a snap shot, and honestly, i feel it's more a test shot. just got new cam.. play play.. smile pls!! SNAPPPPP~~ *shiok*

we do that all the time, the photos needs not have any value, nor does it have anything we can learn from or improve on.

but if you took your friend shopping for nice clothes on your credit card, got some light make up on him, get some outdoor lights, have an assistant and bring him to sentosa to shoot and this is your best shot for the day, then ok, lots to improve on.

hope u see the context i'm painting.