Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

  1. #41
    Member mabmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Simei
    Posts
    720

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    The Olympus EM-1 is a light and excellent choice for mirrorless! I used to have that system and I really love it! It takes beautiful pictures with little to no post processing required after that. If you do not want to have the hassle of changing lens now and then, even the Canon G7X compact is good since it comes with a 24-100mm equivalent F1.8-2.8 lens. If you are feeling rich this month though, you could of course go for the Sony A7R II.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Hi now i got two offer one is normal offer at 2300 with extra 32gb card with tripod with extra battery

    the other is audio house they giving a 40-150mm lens but no extra battery and 16 gb card....

    Which is a better offer, i saw a lot people selling away the 40-150mm lens away at 100-120

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    Hi now i got two offer one is normal offer at 2300 with extra 32gb card with tripod with extra battery the other is audio house they giving a 40-150mm lens but no extra battery and 16 gb card.... Which is a better offer, i saw a lot people selling away the 40-150mm lens away at 100-120
    nowadays 32gb card doesn't cost much. Is the battery original? And what type of tripod?
    Actually the 40-150 is a pretty good lens if u use it.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    nowadays 32gb card doesn't cost much. Is the battery original? And what type of tripod?
    Actually the 40-150 is a pretty good lens if u use it.
    original by olympus need to go collect from them. how must is an original battery cost now? around 100? So i just toggle with the kit lens and the 40-150 lens
    for taking photo and learning sake? Which len btw this two is better to bring oversea and take photos?

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    original by olympus need to go collect from them. how must is an original battery cost now? around 100? So i just toggle with the kit lens and the 40-150 lens for taking photo and learning sake? Which len btw this two is better to bring oversea and take photos?
    if it's redemption from Olympus, then the audio house deal should also have the same battery deal. And assuming the tripod is a crappy one, then the audio house deal is better

    The kit lens is superb for general use so stick with that

    The 40-150 is very light and handy, no harm brining it along overseas for use in case u need the extra reach

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    if it's redemption from Olympus, then the audio house deal should also have the same battery deal. And assuming the tripod is a crappy one, then the audio house deal is better

    The kit lens is superb for general use so stick with that

    The 40-150 is very light and handy, no harm brining it along overseas for use in case u need the extra reach
    The kit come with the 12-40mm le , so if can get the extra lens will 40-150mm or the 45mm f1.8 lens be a better choice?

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    i saw someone sell a pancake lens for 50 dollars , worth buying to pair up with em1? is there anyway to test it to see if there any fault

  8. #48

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    The kit come with the 12-40mm le , so if can get the extra lens will 40-150mm or the 45mm f1.8 lens be a better choice?
    Dont rush into buying too many things when you arent sure what you need or like. That way you will spend alot of money unless you are rich or that few hundred or thousand of dollar means nothing to you.

    slow and steady is always a better way to learn and discover. And the way to do it is to get the gear out and shoot more.. not buying more.

    To ask 40-150 or 45 F1.8 which is better choice. That alone is a tough question. They are very different lenses.
    40-150 gives you more reach than the 12-40. So if 40mm is not long enough. You may want to try 40-150..

    different people learn and understand their want/needs and photography differently. No right or wrong.
    Some people buy 1 lens at a time n see which is good for them. Some people just buy everything or few lenses and test them out. It's up to you which way you want it to be.

    for me...
    When i first started. I pick up the kit zoom lens and a tele zoom so I could cover more range. To know which i is more useful to me n which i prefer.
    Before I look into short- medium prime lenses (typically fixed lens with F2.8 and below).

    There are too many lenses out there. So dont rush. Take baby steps. Even if you are rich..and you could afford a dozen of the best lenses. You only have 1 pair of hands. Take it slowly.

    Go with your budget and get what makes you happy. If its a hobby you have to be happy. Else...no point doing it IMO.
    Good luck and shoot more.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    I think the 12-40 is good enough for now to be frank. Lugging too much gears around is not fun. If u have not bought em1 and the 12-40 I would suggested to get em10 kit ... Reason being it is cheap versatile and light ...

    If u really want to get another lens I will suggest getting a 17 mm prime or maybe a good ultra wide angle zoom.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    The kit come with the 12-40mm le , so if can get the extra lens will 40-150mm or the 45mm f1.8 lens be a better choice?
    really depends on what u are shooting. 45mm is mainly portraiture. 40-150 is a general purpose long zoom u can use for landscape, a bit of sports, your zoo or bird park visits

  11. #51
    Member iluvs90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    i saw someone sell a pancake lens for 50 dollars , worth buying to pair up with em1? is there anyway to test it to see if there any fault
    Honestly, ask the seller but sometimes there is a reason why things are cheaper than market.

    I think many folks here who replied have been thru the need to get this/that... So do take their words that the 12-40 covers probably 80-90% of your travel needs. U need wider, take a few steps back... Need tighter, walk a few steps forward. If you can't due to terrain, then find an angle that will allow you best get the shot. Having just a single zoom for travel is very convenient and beats changing lens or worry about loosing or dropping it when swapping and also forces u to think about what you want to shoot which I think will help you in the long run.

    However nothing wrong with just getting the 40-150 to start off with a wider range of focal lengths. Personally on my own hindsight I would just start with 12-40 and a 25/1.4 for low light

  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    i saw someone sell a pancake lens for 50 dollars , worth buying to pair up with em1? is there anyway to test it to see if there any fault
    what pancake? Even though cheap but if u don't use it what's the point?

  13. #53

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    i saw someone sell a pancake lens for 50 dollars , worth buying to pair up with em1? is there anyway to test it to see if there any fault
    $50?!! Only pancake I can think of for that price is the body cap lens.
    If so, its a plastic fantastic fun toy lens with a fixed f8 aperture and a manual slider for focus. Not much to go wrong.
    I have one as a freebie. Still sitting in my dry cab.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Choa chu kang
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post

    $50?!! Only pancake I can think of for that price is the body cap lens.
    If so, its a plastic fantastic fun toy lens with a fixed f8 aperture and a manual slider for focus. Not much to go wrong.
    I have one as a freebie. Still sitting in my dry cab.
    Just poke a hole through and you get a pinhole lens!

  15. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheSolar View Post

    Just poke a hole through and you get a pinhole lens!
    not as simple as that...sensor gets exposed and u get dusk

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Choa chu kang
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post

    not as simple as that...sensor gets exposed and u get dusk
    Well that's one of the reason i shoot film. Never have to worry about dust!

  17. #57

    Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheSolar View Post
    Well that's one of the reason i shoot film. Never have to worry about dust!
    You sure about that?
    You never scan??

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Choa chu kang
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post

    You sure about that?
    You never scan??
    Atleast i need not worry about CLEANING the sensor. 'disposable' sensors ftw! As for the scanning, dust and scratches can be easily removed via scanning software. Not that it'll affect the image too much anyways. But for me, i cant tolerate a speck of dust on my shiny electronic! Dont ask me why. Just do

  19. #59
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheSolar View Post

    Just poke a hole through and you get a pinhole lens!
    To make a pinhole lens is not as easy as you might think. You need to know what format you want to shoot, than decide the focal length of the pinhole camera you want make, after this you need to calculate the size of the hole you need to make.
    You also need to find a material for making a pinhole lens, which is very thin yet very strong, you also need make sure the hole you made is close to prefect circle. It is a very serious project, it is not primary school art and craft project.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #60
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheSolar View Post

    Well that's one of the reason i shoot film. Never have to worry about dust!
    You have not shot enough film yet.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •