Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

Default Re: Cant decide which camera to get for Christmas

I think you also need to ask yourself:
    - are you willing to lug a big camera every time you travel
    - are you really determine to go into photography and invest in more lenses in the future
    - do you mind changing lenses while traveling
    - do you prefer a all-in-one zoom lens for traveling

If you just want a good camera that is light, produces good images and with some flexibility of zooming, I would recommend those advance compact cameras - e.g. Panasonic LX100 and save all the money for other priorities.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Do some research on the specifications, get out there, get a good physical look at the cams, get the feel, the weight, then decide. Then you will be surprised that the cam you chose may not even be any one of these you've listed here.

It serves very little point in asking for general opinions. Landscape photographers, Birders, portraiture, and general all-in-one photographers will all give you different views. If you have a specific question, then perhaps these respective gurus can give you a more specific answers. Don't think they will want to write you an essay.
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

Following on MacroMarlin's comment,i think its better you go by FEEL. Take a trip to funan it, spend an entire day feeling up the ergonomics of various models. If you feel good using it, you will get better results by having more sustained interest. That said, if i were you, id narrow my choices first by setting up my personal evaluating criterias. Factors in a camera that are of value to you personally. Think what made you want a 'real' camera instead of continue using your iphone.

Weight may or may not be an issue for you.
    Ps. I might even hike with a 4x5 film camera if local development+print availability and my budget allows in the future. Wall sized prints are my aim afterall.
    Cheers Leo

[QUOTE=Ah Keong;9261272]Hi raycher.

For travel, I would recommend Olympus. In addition, I would recommend 6D if you plan to shoot other general stuff.

Have you consider EM-10 or EOS 70D?

First thanks to all who willing to read and give me suggestions!

i decide i go for olympus Em1 kit for the start. So my next question when i go purchase, what else that important to buy together with it? like dry cabinet or do i have to change the SD card to a better class etc?

How you guys take picture when it drizzling with such camera, wont it spoilt the camera? Although is weather proof but i believe is still not good to expose to water too much right? correct me if i m wrong haha sorry being such a noob

[QUOTE=raycher;9261894]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post

i decide i go for olympus Em1 kit for the start. So my next question when i go purchase, what else that important to buy together with it? like dry cabinet or do i have to change the SD card to a better class etc?

How you guys take picture when it drizzling with such camera, wont it spoilt the camera? Although is weather proof but i believe is still not good to expose to water too much right? correct me if i m wrong haha sorry being such a noob
    Of course you should take precautions in wet weather but Olympus have some of the best weather sealing around. Just make sure the lens is also the weather sealed variety.
    If you're shooting where there could be salt water sprays, eg. large waves on a windy beach, do clean your body and lens afterwards. Salt water corrodes.
    Be more wary of condensation going between extreme temperatures.

A second battery is a must IMO, maybe even a third battery. You get one additiona free battery currently from Olympus.
    https://www.facebook.com/OlympusImag...type=3&theater

If you use the camera often and it is being exposed to sunlight etc. you should be ok. But during storage, especially for any length of time, then yes, a dry cabinet would be a good idea.
    Humid, dark places are where you should NOT store your equipment.

If you think you might use flash frequently, you may want to look at an external flash, something like an FL-600R. Alternatively if you want to consider an E-M5 MkII instead, it comes with a small flash that tilts so you can bounce flash.

If you're intending to do much landscapes, a good tripod is also a must IMO.

Maybe its good if TS can share a bit more about needs and expectations.

A budget of 2.5k-3k can get TS a top of the line EM1, 12-40/2.8 while barely buying him a A7R body.

If its ease of use and portability and not breaking the bank, the Olympus models are a very good way to start.

its your xmas present, since u already shortlisted em1 with the 1240mm, go for it, it is more than good enough for Da Nang... use it shoot more shoot often... if you doubt you would and probably leave it in the cabinet then i honestly suggest you to continue with the iphone which has a very capable camera if you know what you are doing with it...

Quote Originally Posted by raycher View Post
    Hi all pro and hobby lovers here,

i decide to ge myself a camera for christmas and use it for photography each time i go oversea... For example next month i be in taiwan and i want shoot for sakura tree... I can't decide to got olympus EM1 or go for cannon 7D mark 2 or 6D.... i waiting for Christmas deal and i go buy it with instalment plan.... Hope i get some suggestion here from you guys
    You mentioned to shoot for Sakura tree? Is that a client or you intend to shoot some Sakura trees? If you want to shoot Sakura trees next month, there will not be any flowers blooming until 31st Mar 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaikeong View Post
    You mentioned to shoot for Sakura tree? Is that a client or you intend to shoot some Sakura trees? If you want to shoot Sakura trees next month, there will not be any flowers blooming until 31st Mar 2016.
    go there to some site to take photo for myself, you mean this year the bloom is so late?

Camera you buy today worth less later down the line. Consume what you can afford. Most any camera can do what you ask. If you have to borrow as opposed to paying cash for it I say you can't really afford it. My apologies if I come off harsh I just call them as I see them...

Get yourself nice camera, lens, bag, couple of cards, maybe tripod or monopod and get with it already.

Learn fundamentals...triangle and composition..train eyes to see pictures. Lots to figure out before you even bring viewfinder to eye.

Go on a few get togethers with bros here at home before you go for the snaps solo in foreign country.

Study study study!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Nikonzen; 17th December 2015 at 10:40 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Personal recommendation: Nikon Coolpix A

Start there.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

a6000 kit will do all the traveller job
    A7RII| FE 24-70mm ZA | FE 16-35mm ZA | FE 24-70mm GM | FE 50mm | FE 70-200mm GM

Quote Originally Posted by foreverlate View Post
    a6000 kit will do all the traveller job
    Decide correctly what camera is really right for you and your expectation of use. Not because Christmas is coming and you are motivated by all the wrong reasons to get one.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Hi raycher,

I assume your Olympus OM-D EM-1 kit comes with the m.zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens:
    http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/produ...em1/index.html

I second swifty advice and would recommend the following to buy together with it:

1) good (travel) tripod
    2) extra battery
    3) dry cabinet
    4) camera bag
    5) good filter for lens
    6) extra lens cap
    7) extra 8Gb or 16Gb memory SD card (class 10)
    8) cable (remote) release
    9) lens blower
    10) lens / sensor cleaning kit
    11) flash / diffuser
    12) photography books

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Ah Keong; 18th December 2015 at 12:35 PM.

Personal recommendation:
    -Fuji XT-1
    -35mm(50mm eqv) wr prime

Reasoning behind this should be pretty clear cut. Small. Light. WR. Prime.

Probable deal breaker:
    -No touch screen for live view focus check
    -Electronic manual focusing
    -Price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Hi raycher,

I assume your Olympus OM-D EM-1 kit comes with the m.zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens:
    http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/produ...em1/index.html

I second swifty advice and would recommend the following to buy together with it:

1) good (travel) tripod
    2) extra battery
    3) dry cabinet
    4) camera bag
    5) good filter for lens
    6) extra lens cap
    7) extra 8Gb or 16Gb memory SD card (class 10)
    8) cable (remote) release
    9) lens blower
    10) lens / sensor cleaning kit
    11) flash / diffuser
    12) photography books

Enjoy!
    Name:  EM1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  53.4 KB

This the best promotion they have but is on march, 2 free lens with it......
    I just go to the megatex , best offer is $2298 with tripod and memory card battery etc.... Haix dont know when they give lens again to bundle with the kit

I just go to the megatex , best offer is $2298 with tripod and memory card battery etc.... Haix dont know when they give lens again to bundle with the kit
    Go for it, squeeze in an extra batt if you can.

Once you have that em1 u will be too busy playing with it and customizing the buttons and settings u will forget about the freebies. Use the 12-40 kit lens coz it is very good. Understand it and honestly when traveling I have never kick myself for not bringing my tele zoom lens and I almost never regret not having anything longer than the 40mm (which is 80mm in 35mm format). You will need likely be ok with wide and medium tele like 25mm.

When u are back from your trip and have learn a fair bit about this wonderful em1, then look out for that 45mm.

MHO please.

you mean this year the bloom is so late?
    Don't know about Vietnam but cherry blossom in China, Japan, etc are in Spring, i.e. Late March to April, every year.

Since no free lens bundle now why not check the prices at the usual shops in the Funan / Peninsular area like TK Foto, Cathay Photo, SLR Revolution etc? Most probably can get a better deal, minimum you can ask the shops to match the megatex bundle

You may want to check for the latest X-mas deal from Olympus if you are rushing for the OM-D E-M1 for your holiday should you decided on purchasing this beauty.

I second thoongeng's advice, you would like to check the prices at the hot shops in the Funan / Peninsular area like TK Foto, Cathay Photo, SLR Revolution where many gurus visit to shop for the best deal.

If I were to buy this beauty, I would get a 17mm in place of the 45mm but that is noob me's preference.

Have fun!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast