Thread: Common Lens Issues

Default Common Lens Issues

hey guys, can u give me some tips on detecting common lens problems, such as front-focusing, that can be solved by sending to the respective manufacturers? BTW front-focusing can be solved (most of the time) by changing a chip in the lens. What other common problems are there in lenses that can be fixed by the manufacturers?

Default Re: Common Lens Issues

Your PM was full and I couldn't reply you. In any case I hope you have gotten an answer for your problem.

Btw, where did you hear that FF can be solved by rechipping?

I think you might have gotten it wrong. I believe that front focusing has nothing to do with the lens but the camera. It is the focusing sensor in the camera that commands the lens to start and stop focusing and the CPU in the lens is only responsible for receiving and transfering data to the camera.

any other problems that can be solved by sending to lens company?

What is the problem that you have that you need fixed?

If it is colour aberration, chromatic aberration, comatic aberration, spehrical aberration, linear distortion, pincushion or barrel distortion, all these can be fixed by buying a higher end lens. But the truth is today's lenses are usually not totally free of such problems even if you get the best ones.

If you are referring to fungus and misalignment of the lens elements then you may send it in to get the lens serviced.

I would say, spend more time taking pictures than fretting on improving your lens. There is no point having the best lens but not having the best pictures.

Confirm that there is a problem with the lens. Is it easily replicable? If so, try going back to the point of purchase and kindly request to try out another lens to check if its an isolated case.

Does your camera body work properly on other lenses?

If you are certain that its the lens that is faulty, by all means send it in, there is no harm in doing so.