Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Incident at the Esplanade

Default Re: Incident at the Esplanade

maybe, just maybe, the building management should set up a price scheme, like pay $10 to take any photos u want, another way to generate income for the management.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    About 1 year ago, I organized a group photoshoot with 3 bikini models and 18 photographers and 3 organizers (big group). We walked along the seaside walkway next to Esplanade, the security guards stopped us and showed us where is the "boundary", inside the "boundary" we cannot shoot, outside the "boundary" we can shoot. It was quite funny, we took many photos at the edge of the walkway and no one care. One guy purposely step 1 foot inside the "boundary" and the guards appeared immediately.
    hahaha... I remember this one ....hehehe.....

rgds,
    Andre

vince123123
    Guests

not only security guards, some policemen also like to make up their own laws or flex their muscles in an ego trip

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    I was stopped outside the Esplanade by police officers, not security guards, who shone their torchlights and tried to "show who's boss" around and demanded that I stop shooting. I simply replied, "I've asked the management and was told that I could shoot as long as it was for personal use." The two officers were speechless and left without a word..

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    I tried to shoot inside House Of Tan Yeok Nee, a Chinese mansion, now University of Chicago GSB. He told me I have to make an appointment!!!!
    hey i managed to take some shots in there- mainly of the huge stone centrepiece.
    that was after sweet-talking the guard to let me and my then-friend in.
    I guess u need to persuade them that u won't cause them any trouble with
    the management... that's what they are more concerned about.

Anyway, that happened about 2 yrs ago..

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    not only security guards, some policemen also like to make up their own laws or flex their muscles in an ego trip
    u ever argued with a policeman?

may be someone need to call up the police force PR dept to ask if we can take photo of building..if we are allow to,why are there policeman asking us to go away?

just because your holding a warrant card and a gun, don't mean you can make up the law to scare us.

someone with law background from CS should write to the straits time and make a big fizz about it..

I've had no problems so far taking pics in and outside the esplannade. But once when we were having a model shoot at one of the Buildings at Millenia Walk we got stopped by the guards and had to go and get passes from them to continue shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    I've had no problems so far taking pics in and outside the esplannade. But once when we were having a model shoot at one of the Buildings at Millenia Walk we got stopped by the guards and had to go and get passes from them to continue shooting.

OOoo...millenia walk is also one of those place that can't take too...almost slip my mind..

i shoot at the durian before and nobody stopped eventhough the guards are in front.

how i dislike overzealous guards and policemen who try to act big.. yucks...

Quote Originally Posted by chris wong
    OOoo...millenia walk is also one of those place that can't take too...almost slip my mind..
    What's the big deal?
    Wether shot from far or near.....
    No difference

Millenia Tower is a big landmark. Lots of tourists use it as the background of portraits 9when they stand at Merlion Pier).

That's why some become security & law officers, ha ha
    Last edited by 0kb; 21st October 2005 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris wong
    ya...they are making up their own law...they think they are the law maker or they are above the law....
    I dont think so lah. These people, the security guards, are juz doing their job lah. They have been instructed about the copyright thingy and they are juz there to ensure it. Juz give them a smile and walk a little further away and take again lah. No big deal.

Image your boss ask you not to let anyone into his room and some guy turns up and wants to enter, you surely try to prevent him right, only to find that he is the person that your boss is waiting for. How are you to suppose to know unless your boss tells you before hand right.

These guards have no idea whether who is taking for professional use. They juz know that some chap with some sophisticated equipment, what more with tripod, might be doing it, unless u are using a P&S lah. IMHO, please be gracious and forgive these guys. They are juz DOING THERE JOB.
    Last edited by eng_keow; 21st October 2005 at 08:51 PM.
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Was inside taking photo with my D70 on a tripod. Taking one of the art work that was put up near the main door (between the 2 glass lift). Security guards walk pass me a few time. Do not say any thing. That was early this year.

Was taking the colorful lanterns hanging in the main foyer last month during the lantern festival. No one stopped me although i was the only one with a DSLR there. Outside saw some photogs too, taking many shots at different angles. Not an issue to the guards.

In photographing indoor locations of landmarks, it mostly depends on luck. Last time I shot inside various shopping centres in Melbourne, I wasnt stopped by anyone, but casual shoppers gave me the
    could-this-be-a-terrorist-plotting-a-bombing-of-this-biulding" sort of look. Only when i asked my aunt who stayed in Melbourne did i know that it is a unstated rule/law that photography is not permitted inside public buildings like shopping centres and office etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    About 1 year ago, I organized a group photoshoot with 3 bikini models and 18 photographers and 3 organizers (big group). We walked along the seaside walkway next to Esplanade, the security guards stopped us and showed us where is the "boundary", inside the "boundary" we cannot shoot, outside the "boundary" we can shoot. It was quite funny, we took many photos at the edge of the walkway and no one care. One guy purposely step 1 foot inside the "boundary" and the guards appeared immediately.
    Hmm... this is interesting.

Did you have to apply some permit to do a bikini shoot in a non-beach area such as near the Esplanade?

Or has S'pore opened up so much?

I personally know of a S'porean gal who has appeared in a local men's magazine who was photographed in bikini (near the Esplanade) by a S'porean photographer but had a policeman come along and told them to stop and move off.

same thing happened a long time ago at national stadium in a photo club shoot
    non-uniformed man appeared claimed to be security guard
    insist we cannot take photos

mostly they "kwa lang"
    if the group looks like it has "powerful" people, then they dare not
    if ordinary joes, they bully

some are actually guards who make up their own rules
    some are impostors

mostly they are scared to death if you take their photo for identification
    or ask for their service number if they are in uniform for complaining to the press and other big powerful people later
    they will start threatening to detain you and so on....
    some may snatch your camera
    can be a fistfight

a good learning point is to observe your own group of people in the photoshoot
    there will be vociferous people who protest loudly say they will complain, blah,,, blah...
    these are paper tigers, usually the useless people
    a lot of noise
    zero guts mostly the more noise, the more useless the person

watch for the quiet ones in the group
    the ones who do not bark
    these are the ones who bite these are the silent killers

the security guard did the same to a lady who breast fed at esplanade
    but she was a medical doctor who wrote to the press
    so he bullied wrong person

he got a lot of sh*t thrown at him after that

seriously if you want to take up matter, see to it that the guilty one suffers, insist he loses his job or get a disciplinary scolding.
    see it all the way to the end. then you will send a message.
    make the charge stick. but first of all make sure you are in the right.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 21st October 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Anyone tried taking photos inside Parkview Square?

About shooting buildings, please understand that while the outside is generally OK to be photographed (since your eyes can see it), the inside is PRIVATE property. If someone walks past you bungalow and takes a shot, you probably won't mind, but if he comes in (through your confidently open gates) and starts shooting around, you probably won't be too happy. Note that shopping centres are all private properties.

And about over zealous policemen or guards, they can flex their muscles at breast feeding mums and photographers, but do nothing to people cycling on the pedestrian walkways or smoking at bus stops. The law is what they want to see!

Hmmm...
    Interesting...

That day was taking shots of an MP inside a cafe in a building, know over my limit already, but dun care. Then the waiter go notify the security, then the security say not allowed to take fotos.. Then the MP says "I'll speak to your management later." & the secuirty smiled & left.. waa... powerful pple open mouth everything also can...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast