Thread: LCD dead pixel

Default LCD dead pixel

How do I prevent the color LCD from getting dead pixel? Or is there really a way to prevent it? And how much will it cost to get a replacement? Please share your thoughts and advise.

TIA.

Default Re: LCD dead pixel

Come on.... no one wants to share some tips with a digital newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by CMOS
    How do I prevent the color LCD from getting dead pixel? Or is there really a way to prevent it? And how much will it cost to get a replacement? Please share your thoughts and advise.

TIA.
    CMOS, everything has a shelf life and operating life.
    You can prolong the life of the LCD and anything else (e.g. lens, camera body) through care and maintenance.

LCD replacement is very expensive as they are typically not made by the OEMs.
    Whatever you do, take care of your equipment well and they will last you a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by CMOS

TIA.

Very Simple. Don't ever switch on the LCD at all. That's the hard fact. heeeeeeee

If a pixel is dead. It is dead. You can not replace just that pixel or portion of the screen or repair. To replace it is to buy a new one as it cost you as much you replace it. When my notebook screen went kaput and I asked for a replacement quote. It cost about $1500 to order one. I bought a new notebook.

A small DSLR LCD screen might be small but I doubt it would be cheap to replace but replace you must if you want to still keep using it. And if it was a dead pixel on the LCD monitor, I can live with it as I only use the viewfinder to view and compose my shot.

That is the first thing you should be doing when you first buy your new "toy" ( any toy that has a LCD screen on it that is) Swtich it on and check for dead pixel!!!. When LCD panel are manufactured at the plant you would be surprise that rejection at QC stage for dead pixel occur quite abit. It is a very delicate process and it adds to why it is so costly to make.(or replace) When I bought a new noteboka coupon of year back, once I confirm buying, thesale person showed me the notebook before I purchase. First one had about 5 dead pixel when he power it up. The next one had 2 pixel and some how there was some colour shift directly behind one which has a logo on it. The third one he showed me was fine so guess which one I took ? heheh. Actually I took the one with the 2 dead pixel and the slight colour shift in the middle of the screen ( which was only visible when it featured a solid primary colour.) I got it as he gave me an additonal $200 discount!.

Thanks for the comments. Just wondering will frequent turning on and off the LCD increase the risk of developing dead pixel and likewise will less usage of the LCD minimise the risk.

It will be nice for those who really knows LCD technology to share some tips on the proper usage of the LCD display to reduce the risk of dead pixel since many (at least me) still have no idea at all and moreover LCD is very expansive or rather impossible to replace.

Just imagine that you spent more than 2k to 5k on a DSLR and take really good care of it but one day found out that there is one or more dead pixel on the LCD. They are expansive and yet so fragile.