Thread: Tamron 17-35 f2.8

Default Tamron 17-35 f2.8

Hi, does anyone have any info on the Tamron 17-35mm f2.8? Saw 1-2 previous threads on it, but it tapered down to something else irrelevant. Anyone got first hand experience? Thinking of getting this as a cheaper alternative to the 17-40L...

Default Re: Tamron 17-35 f2.8

reviews on fred miranda are mixed on this, some loved it, some dun.
    about 95% of the pple rave about the 17-40l.

I hope we are refering to the same Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 LD ASPHERICAL IF.

I'm happy with its optical performance, and it's surely sharp (and sharper than most consumer grade zooms even Canon's). A review/test I read (with sample images) says it's on par with Canon 17-40L but only lacks the solid build of the L, and I would agree with that test.

Personally, I feel that if you're not using your lens in extreme conditions (and most of us don't), it's not gonna disintegrate like paper soaked into water.

I use 2 of these, 1 Canon mount for my own and another Nikon mount at my workplace. It's sharper than any of the Nikon zooms at my workplace.

Strangely, the Nikon version focuses a hell lot faster (on a Fuji S2 Pro) than the Canon version on my 20D. I wonder if I got a lemon.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 20th October 2005 at 11:54 PM.

Yups, most reviews have pretty good things to say about it, just thought i get an opinion from pple who have used it b4... though it seems the best way is to go down to the shop and try it first hand!!!
    Any other pple have their experiences to share? I'm looking at a canon mount... hope no lemons!!!