Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photographer's Occupational Hazard.....

Default Re: Photographer's Occupational Hazard.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    I got trapped about 20 years ago when I was a press photographer. For a couple of years I was shooting catalogues on the side, and used to do 1 or 2 a week with the catalogues being a mixutre of retail store (bra's panties, jocks etc) as well as a more adult nature (adult lingere etc). Most of those shoots involved 6-10 female models and 3-5 male models. Almost all of the models were older (mid-late 20s to mid 30s), in other words they were past their prime for magazine work and regular advertising and most were catwalk models making extra money on the side too. After about 50 sessions I'd started to loose all interest photographing the female and male form per se and like the models I just wanted to get the job done with a minimum of drama and fuss. I did find the professional detachment methods used in the press to be a real bonus at the start with the adult lingere sessions as the models in particular had no qualms about changing in the corner of the studio with everyone watching.
    Well, perhaps I should count my blessing that I am still shooting only for fun and not professionally. I can see your point, and could be a problem for pros. However, for amateurs like me, this "too much of a good thing" arguement should not apply, hope it will not apply.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet

Now, an Amazonian would be fun to shoot

yup....if there was an occupational hazard to be found with photographying the female form.I guess I would be looking to the less common. Even a beauty body with all the right statistic is dead boring. But to shoot anAmazonian. Now that is something else. Poping veins, finely fibred muscles, sharp posture and pose of strength.

Have seen some really great shots done in some newsgroup and they really take my breath away. Lighting is even more crucial as you are not only highlighting the female form but to bring the tone muslce and and strength out as well.

Also.I find Singaporean models or wanna-be....very embrassing to find they dare to call themselves that. I have been around the fashion industry since the 1980s. Where we have models the likes of Esther Fong, Nora, Maria Heng, Tina Tan, Angela Sam, Bonnie Hicks, Pat Krall, Wendy, Bessie Chee, Torey..and yes even the likes of Zoe Tay...to name but a few. Oh yes there were the male models too. LIke ChuanDo, Gym, Tony Sim, Helme..etc. All to a large extend familiar names to almost everyone in Singapore in the 80s. Quite a few did make it big overseas besides doing well here. from the 90s onwards...it has been heading south. Where are those type of girls today? Occupational Hazard? Ya...not good enough pro models to inspire you to shoot to begin with. heheh. That is why I gave up shooting models in the last decade unless it is part of my work. Okay I am very old school where models' standards are concern so bite me! heheheheh....Very telling of my age but I am glad I had the 80s man!

Oh ...about the labido thingy...girls back then were more "fun" ...ya baby! :P

yeah, the 80's was fun, sex, drugs, and rock and roll ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Also.I find Singaporean models or wanna-be....very embrassing to find they dare to call themselves that. I have been around the fashion industry since the 1980s. Where we have models the likes of Esther Fong, Nora, Maria Heng, Tina Tan, Angela Sam, Bonnie Hicks, Pat Krall, Wendy, Bessie Chee, Torey..and yes even the likes of Zoe Tay...to name but a few. Oh yes there were the male models too. LIke ChuanDo, Gym, Tony Sim, Helme..etc. All to a large extend familiar names to almost everyone in Singapore in the 80s. Quite a few did make it big overseas besides doing well here. from the 90s onwards...it has been heading south. Where are those type of girls today? Occupational Hazard? Ya...not good enough pro models to inspire you to shoot to begin with. heheh. That is why I gave up shooting models in the last decade unless it is part of my work. Okay I am very old school where models' standards are concern so bite me! heheheheh....Very telling of my age but I am glad I had the 80s man!

Oh ...about the labido thingy...girls back then were more "fun" ...ya baby! :P
    Hahaha! The old days eh.... I believe they had much better training back then. Some made it to europe. Tina's doing quite well...
    Of course Zoe made it quite big locally...
    Hicks passed on too early IMHO....

You make the 80s sound like the swingin 60s....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    yeah, the 80's was fun, sex, drugs, and rock and roll ...

AMEN BRUDDER......AMEN! heheh That was my decade of decadence! heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hahaha! The old days eh.... I believe they had much better training back then. Some made it to europe. Tina's doing quite well...
    Of course Zoe made it quite big locally...
    Hicks passed on too early IMHO....

You make the 80s sound like the swingin 60s....

It was to me anyway...it was a time of living large....and living well. A time of weird new wave hairdo, men wearing patent leather shoes, satin printed shirts, all forms of cowboy collar stud, JPG was way cool, Chinoiserie was the place to PARTY, weird baggy MC Hammer pants, padded shoulder shirts worn by both female and males! ....endless iconic do-dos. Not all good but not all bad either. heheh.

Tina? Well what can I say. She could be the mother of my children any day. She is a class act. And she is doing more better then "well" heheh..

I still have some pictures I shot of Hicks back in the mid 80s when she was still starting out as a model. She was taken away too soon I feel. She is quite a serious model too...she was not one who would tolerate cheekpo photographers for sure. heheh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123