Thread: possible phuket trip: please advise :)

Default possible phuket trip: please advise :)

hi guys, i may be gg on a trip to phuket end year with my church friends. as i havent been there before, would appreciate it if you guys could help me by advising on which hotels we could stay in.

also, which are the nice beaches? is patong beach nice? we're on a budget, so nothing too expensive like the hilton please.

i actually worked it out, and i calculated the airfare by jetstar to be $158 per pax return ticket incl tax.

hotel is another $170 for 4 nights/5 days at the patong beach lodge.

any suggestions for me? thanks guys

Default Re: possible phuket trip: please advise :)

When are you going?
    If you fly Tuesdays, Jetstar has cheapest fares on tuesdays and wednesdays.

I've been to many thai islands but always avoided phuket but TravelFish has very good info.
    http://www.travelfish.org/location/t.../phuket/phuket

It gives you a run down on the various beaches there, and accommodation. The problem with the "main" parts of thai islands is that they give you convenience but not much else. When I go on a holiday I want peace and beauty and tranquility. Patong in Phuket isn't the place to go for that, like how going to Chaweng on Koh Samui is the same in this respect. Give the other beaches a chance, you might get nicer and more affordable accommodation that way, just make sure it's not too far away. Travelfish has nice writeups on every bit of Phuket.

If you sign up as a member at TravelFish you can even generate a free PDF ebook on Phuket, and choose what info you want to put in there. Very handy.

thanks a lot man! shall do some reading up.

any reason why u avoid phuket? im going there in search of peace, tranquility and beauty. and of course, photography. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone
    thanks a lot man! shall do some reading up.

any reason why u avoid phuket? im going there in search of peace, tranquility and beauty. and of course, photography. :P
    I feel islands like Phuket and Koh Samui have become overly commercialized way too much. I'm not looking for rural places or anything, but these places feel like they've lost the charm. If I want supermarkets and 7-Elevens everywhere I'll just go to Bangkok. Besides, they're very expensive, in terms of accommodation and food. Food is almost always not really authentic Thai anymore, and at mid-range-restaurant-in-SG prices. I've become very tired of eating bad pad thai cooked for the angmoh, or banana pancakes.

My favourite Thai islands are Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Samet they're harder to get to (though Samet isn't that hard to get to from Bangkok), but worth it if you ask me. I lived in a secluded part of Koh Phangan for a week, and I had to climb up a rock tunnel to get to my room every day, BBQ fish with backpackers on the beach, scrambled out of bed to stand by a beach to hail the boat taxi at 9.30 so that I could go out to 'town'.

http://asiarooms.com/thailand/phuket.html for more hotel choices on Phuket. =)

Oh and remember to have lots of beach massages.
    I miss those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    Oh and remember to have lots of beach massages.
    I miss those!!!

hmm special service ar?

hmm special service ar?
    I think it's a bit hard to tell, but I'm actually a girl. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    I think it's a bit hard to tell, but I'm actually a girl. Hehehe.
    Hahaha.. don't know got any for girl or not, but i do know many girl went there for the beach massage, why huh?

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Hahaha.. don't know got any for girl or not, but i do know many girl went there for the beach massage, why huh?
    Erm, because we like massage for what it really should be for.. relaxation? Hahha. Very seldom you get special service one lah.. unless you specifically go looking for it!

eh im not like that k!

faithfully attached

been lookin ard your sites. i tink surin beach looks nice. accomodation also not too ex.

eh im not like that k!

faithfully attached

been lookin ard your sites. i tink surin beach looks nice. accomodation also not too ex.

Word of warning, do ask if electricity is 24 hours. Shouldn't be a problem in phuket but in some places, some parts of the islands run on generators and then they err... turn off electricity after a certain time.

But I htink surin looks good too.

I need to go on holidays where I can just fly and not fly, bus, train, bus, van, boat... =)