Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Carrying memory cards around

  1. #1

    Default Carrying memory cards around

    How do you guys bring your memory cards around out on a shoot, I constantly find myself misplacing my cards, is a memory card carrying case the way to go? If yes, what's a good carrying case?

  2. #2
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    How do you guys bring your memory cards around out on a shoot, I constantly find myself misplacing my cards, is a memory card carrying case the way to go? If yes, what's a good carrying case?
    Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket - various models

    Or buy a bigger card that can fit the entire shoot

  3. #3

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Still using this. Slim and light, slips in a pocket easily so I can change cards as needed. Some cases are touted as 'waterproof', 'shockproof' etc. I find those a bit 'over-engineered' and bulky for my needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    I got one from Daiso sometime back. Try different outlets, not all outlets carry the same items.
    If they don't sell this anymore, try walking around the camera shops at funan.


    (Image not mine, via: http://isaacmedeiros.blogspot.sg/200...-sd-daiso.html)

  4. #4
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Yes, i'm using this one from Daiso, $2 per piece.

  5. #5

    Default

    I have 5 SD Cards, so unless I leave 1 at home, that case from Daiso is not going to work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    I have 5 SD Cards, so unless I leave 1 at home, that case from Daiso is not going to work.
    Do you actually need to carry all the SD cards that you have? 4 spare good capacity cards not enough?

  7. #7

    Default

    I guess I could leave 1 inside my camera! I'll go to daiso to check those out. But do they fall out easily? And is it easy to insert the cards?

  8. #8
    Member RefPhoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Paya Lebar
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    I guess I could leave 1 inside my camera! I'll go to daiso to check those out. But do they fall out easily? And is it easy to insert the cards?
    Daiso has a 1 sdcard and 1 mini sdcard holder. small and compact. has a clip at the side to prevent it from opening accidentally.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    I have many CF and SD cards, so I use the 10 pockets Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket for many years, and it works well for me.

    Smaller items can get lost easily, but this pouch small enough to put in my pocket, big enough to spot easier and put all my memory cards in it.

    And it has translucent pockets, the cards face face out are empty, back face out are filled. And I don't put the cards anywhere else, either in the pouch or in the cameras. So just one look at the pouch I know if there are any cards missing and how many cards are available to use.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default

    Alright. Thank you all for your advice. I'll check out both the Daiso ones and think tank ones

  11. #11

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    I have 5 SD Cards, so unless I leave 1 at home, that case from Daiso is not going to work.
    Like shierwin said - must always bring everything you own out meh Besides, who's stopping you from getting more than one x4 holder Depending on the length of the shoot, I sometimes carry 6-10 cards. 4 on me + 4 more in the bag, 2 in two camera bodies. Plus some extras brand new in packaging as urgent spares should the need arise.

    I've been wanting to get the Think Tank Photo SD Pixel Pocket, cos a softcase should be more comfortable in a pocket compared to a hard case. But I'll probably still split my cards between bag and on me instead of consolidating all. One holder is more convenient, risk is you lose it, you lose all your eggs in the basket. Anyway, up to you to find something that works for your own preferences.

    For this cheap plastic case, SD slots are secure and easy to insert/remove. The microsd slots are a bit too secure and tight. So I don't use those much. Mainly for SDs.

  12. #12

    Default

    2 SD cards in the camera - that's all I need!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    2 SD cards in the camera - that's all I need!
    Sadly my camera can't take 2 SD cards

  14. #14
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    Sadly my camera can't take 2 SD cards

    Keep in a memory case or whatever that can prevent direct contact to skin whose moisture can tarnish contacts and other surface material that produces or gives out electrical static that will cause corruption to your files. I have seen some who save save or just want to not carry a bag would put spare card in shirt or jean pocket without a case imagine if you sweat or fabric rubbing constantly to cause static.

    I also will mark each card including the date I stated using them. these gives me a timeline as to how I have used that card. This gives me a time period to note when there may be possible failure occurring to the card. By numbering them, I get into a habit of rotating them for use. Thus stretch out their life span over a long period. Base on the way I shoot, I can over time it takes about 2 years for my 16gig cards, longer for larger cards..eg to start showing signs of failed write. Why take risk with photos you may treasured? It's not how good the brand of cards are alone but as important is as how you look after them to keep them working too.

    There is that logic among especially newbies, that the largest card you can buy is the best well to go so you don't have to carry so many or keep so many troublesome cards, it might be true but depending on how often you use the cards and cared for them, anything go wrong you can say goodbye to whatever was saved to it and get home to full or partial corruption to the photo files..

    No double slot in your DSLR? Then try using more cards then higher capacity ones. I have most of my card in 16 and 32gig I see no need to go even 64gig. even shooting in RAW 80% of the time I don't see it as troublesome to be changing my cards often. Smaller card size ensure I at least don't go home losing everything I shot that day or over a period of days with that same card in the DSLR.. And 'often' is like mostly hours apart. If that is too much work for you, I don't know what to say to this type of person heh.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Keep in a memory case or whatever that can prevent direct contact to skin whose moisture can tarnish contacts and other surface material that produces or gives out electrical static that will cause corruption to your files. I have seen some who save save or just want to not carry a bag would put spare card in shirt or jean pocket without a case imagine if you sweat or fabric rubbing constantly to cause static. I also will mark each card including the date I stated using them. these gives me a timeline as to how I have used that card. This gives me a time period to note when there may be possible failure occurring to the card. By numbering them, I get into a habit of rotating them for use. Thus stretch out their life span over a long period. Base on the way I shoot, I can over time it takes about 2 years for my 16gig cards, longer for larger cards..eg to start showing signs of failed write. Why take risk with photos you may treasured? It's not how good the brand of cards are alone but as important is as how you look after them to keep them working too. There is that logic among especially newbies, that the largest card you can buy is the best well to go so you don't have to carry so many or keep so many troublesome cards, it might be true but depending on how often you use the cards and cared for them, anything go wrong you can say goodbye to whatever was saved to it and get home to full or partial corruption to the photo files.. No double slot in your DSLR? Then try using more cards then higher capacity ones. I have most of my card in 16 and 32gig I see no need to go even 64gig. even shooting in RAW 80% of the time I don't see it as troublesome to be changing my cards often. Smaller card size ensure I at least don't go home losing everything I shot that day or over a period of days with that same card in the DSLR.. And 'often' is like mostly hours apart. If that is too much work for you, I don't know what to say to this type of person heh.
    Thank you for your advice, I have 3 32GB cards and 2 8GB cards, and i agree with the part of getting 16gb and 32gb cards rather than 64gb or even 128gb cards. Hence, even if I get even more cards in the near future, they'll mostly be 32gb.
    Last edited by rainduet; 22nd November 2015 at 09:09 PM.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Using this myself



  17. #17

    Default

    Did you order that online or did you get it from a shop?

  18. #18

    Default

    My perfect case will be one with a combination lock that will self destruct if anyone tries to fiddle with it.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Ordered from Amazon

  20. #20

    Default Re: Carrying memory cards around

    Quote Originally Posted by rainduet View Post
    I have 5 SD Cards, so unless I leave 1 at home, that case from Daiso is not going to work.
    Daiso do also have a thicker type which can hold up to 16 SD cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •