Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to make an external battery pack?

Default Re: How to make an external battery pack?

That's the single pole double throw thing that you told me about, right? So I am right that the battery pack B won't charge battery pack A?

DO you know anything about USB port? Jus wan to make this battery pack more versatile Where can I get a USB port?

Actually, do you think its worth doing it? The East Gear one is only $149 or $129 only. Although doing it can recycle all the sanyo batteries I have and also cheap lah, I believe I won't spent more that $30 on it.

So far; 2 battery case, 1 switch, 1 multiple DC plug cost me $7 only...the box and the USB post maybe another $10 more? I also bought a soldering iron thats only $12, but that one is long term lah, so no count.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 22nd October 2005 at 07:32 PM.

hi max2.8

Another alternative is to take out the internal battery (my case NP120 from my X's drive 6230) and use the battery pack as main power source.

The battery pack may be made out of
    1) 4xAA = 4.8v
    2) 4xAA x 2 in // = 4.8v

I have 1 in use but do not last very long as my battery is not brand new. Battery pack 2 should yield much better life on your X's drive due to high current requirement in the 5V line in.

Advantage of taking out the Li Ion battery is that u do not charge it using an inadequate power source ( battery pack ). Just make sure u do not trip the battery pack power source when your player is in use. You have been warned.

I
    Last edited by bigmouse; 22nd October 2005 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks for the info, Big Mouse!

welcome. U using X's drive 6230?

If y, then the hard case for the drive is an ideal battery pack holder. Just slot in the battery packs into the left side pocket and add a thin ( ~3mm thick protective foam -high density type) to act as a cusion between the bat pack and the drive.

Just flip the drive the other way round to avoid damage the screen or power on.

Ignore if not 6230.....

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8
    That's the single pole double throw thing that you told me about, right? So I am right that the battery pack B won't charge battery pack A?

DO you know anything about USB port? Jus wan to make this battery pack more versatile Where can I get a USB port?

Hi Max,

I think I made you confused. What I wanted to say is that your external battery pack will be still charging your internal battery pack even if you are using the switch. If two external battery packs are connected to SPDT switch, they will not charge to each other but they will charge the internal pack. And I think it is better to use DPDT switch instead of SPDT.

I am not sure what you want to know about USB port. Are you saying that you want to supply power to your equipment through its USB port??? USB port in your equpiment is for data transfer purpose so that i think you could not use it to power up your equipment. Or are you going to use your laptop/desktop USB port to power up your equipment???

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by zeith
    Hi Max,

I think I made you confused. What I wanted to say is that your external battery pack will be still charging your internal battery pack even if you are using the switch. If two external battery packs are connected to SPDT switch, they will not charge to each other but they will charge the internal pack. And I think it is better to use DPDT switch instead of SPDT.

I am not sure what you want to know about USB port. Are you saying that you want to supply power to your equipment through its USB port??? USB port in your equpiment is for data transfer purpose so that i think you could not use it to power up your equipment. Or are you going to use your laptop/desktop USB port to power up your equipment???

Regards,
    Hi Zeith,

I know that the ext batt will charge the internal batt, I've tested it on several of my devices, I think that's ok.

Which is why I have the idea to add a USB port because I use USB to charge my phone and my iPod. I understand USB port have a voltage of 5.1V, dunno how many A...

Just want to know where do I connect the + and the - from my battery to the USB port

Ultimately, this battery pack serve as a OTG charger for all my equipment. When power supply is not available.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 22nd October 2005 at 07:56 PM.

Hi Zeith,

I know that the ext batt will charge the internal batt, I've tested it on several of my devices, I think that's ok.

Which is why I have the idea to add a USB port because I use USB to charge my phone and my iPod. I understand USB port have a voltage of 5.1V, dunno how many A...

Just want to know where do I connect the + and the - from my battery to the USB port

Ultimately, this battery pack serve as a OTG charger for all my equipment. When power supply is not available.
    Hi Max,

I think it is not a good thing to let your external battery pack charge your internal battery.
    It might shorten the lifespan of your internal battery pack.

For usb port, you need to find out which wires are connected to pin 1 and pin 4. Usually pin 1 is for 5V and pin 4 is for Gnd. Follow these step to indentify pin 1 and pin 4.
    1) Look into the USB (male) connector with USB logo facing upward.
    2) The rightmost pin is pin 1 and the leftmost pin is pin 4.
    3) Use Analog or Digital Multimeter to test the continuity between the pins and the wires to identify the correct ones.
    4) Connect your battery pack positive terminal to the wire that connected to pin 1 and negative terminal to the wire that connected to pin 4.

Hope it would help. But do test the polarity and voltage before plugging your USB charger into any of your equipments.

Regards
    Last edited by zeith; 22nd October 2005 at 08:32 PM.

Depends lah, if the internal battery is charged then unplug the ext battery lor.

Thanks for your info

USB port supplies 5V and 500mA (steady state). However, most newer USB ports can support up to 700mA. For instantaneous peak current term load, these port can support up to 1100mA. For your application, it is 500mA.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_lkt
    USB port supplies 5V and 500mA (steady state). However, most newer USB ports can support up to 700mA. For instantaneous peak current term load, these port can support up to 1100mA. For your application, it is 500mA.
    Not sure.... But here's a update of my diagram with the USB port that I intend to do. From what I found from the internet, someone already did a ipod charger with a 9V battery. Here's the website http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000520028239/ . He add something to lower it to 5V. I think for my case, I dun need to...I dunno actually....am I right?

Correction: The USB voltage input should be 4.8V instead of 5V
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 22nd October 2005 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeith
    Hi Max,

I think it is not a good thing to let your external battery pack charge your internal battery.
    It might shorten the lifespan of your internal battery pack.
    Hi Zeith,

That's whay i was telling Max to only plug in the external pack when the internal batt is flat. Think he knows that.

As for the USB port, i think Max wants to do a batt pack which can charge through a DC port and A USB port so it can be a universal charging device just in case he meets a device which charges using its USB port, like the ipod.

Cheers

If only i could find someone to make the Canon CP-E2 pack cord connector........

Can anyone see if my circuit is correct? if I want to add led to indicate which battery pack is used, where to put the led? Also the USB part, is it correct?

Anyone?????

anyone......

Can anyone see if my circuit is correct? if I want to add led to indicate which battery pack is used, where to put the led? Also the USB part, is it correct?
    The USB portion is not correct. According to the USB specifications, upon connection of the device, the device can not draw more than 100mA. Only after a proper power configuration can the device draw >100mA but <=500mA.

Have you seen : http://www3.sympatico.ca/akouzmit/Ba...Pack/index.htm ?

Thanks Eawtan!

you need to isolate your usb..basically...never put 2 power output together without isolation
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by eawtan
    This is impressive!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast