Thread: Tamron lens not focusing accurately

Default Tamron lens not focusing accurately

Hi there,

I have just joined this forum as this seems like a wonderful place to get advice and tips.One problem i am currently facing is that my Tamron 70-300 Ld Di lens struggles to lock on focus on my D5300. It would hunt the subject for around 10 secs before allowing me to take the picture and even so the picture is not sharp.Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tamron lens not focusing accurately

Welcome to ClubSNAP.

The Tamron 70-300 LD Di is a low cost lower end lens has an aperture range from F4.0 to F5.6. So it means when you are shooting at longer focal lengths, the max aperture you get to work with is F5.6. That plus the fact that this is a budget lens with probably a lot less light transmittance, there is a lot less light reaching the AF sensor. Since the D5300 is rated to focus up to the max of F5.6, you are really pushing the AF capabilities of the D5300 if you are shooting in lower light. In good light on bright sunny days, I am sure you will have no problems focusing.

As for photos being blur, you might want to look at your shutter speed. Since this lens has no Vibration reduction feature, you will need to shoot at much faster shutter speeds. If shooting at 300mm, you will need to maintain a shutter speed of at least 1/450s on your D5300 to get a clear shot. The formula for this is 1/(focal length * crop factor}.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th November 2015 at 05:40 AM.

1. Test out the focusing in bright daylight to determine if the lens and camera is working fine. The Tamron has a fairly small aperture, and therefore, less light is available for the AF sensor.

2. Try to use a faster shutter speed - the general rule is a shutter speed equivalent of 1/focal length.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Hi all, thanks for the highly detailed replies.One thing i forgot to mention is that when i first bought the lens its autofocus was working fine and it was adequately sharp for me. I knew that this was a budget lens and it wouldn't be razor sharp and its autofocus wouldn't be extremely fast, but it was working like it should have. Afterwhile ,without dropping the lens, the lens slowly started to give me the focusing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothyngg View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the highly detailed replies.One thing i forgot to mention is that when i first bought the lens its autofocus was working fine and it was adequately sharp for me. I knew that this was a budget lens and it wouldn't be razor sharp and its autofocus wouldn't be extremely fast, but it was working like it should have. Afterwhile ,without dropping the lens, the lens slowly started to give me the focusing problems.
    So do you have any focusing issue in board day light?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    So do you have any focusing issue in board day light?
    Yes, I do

Blog Entries

Yes, I do
    Time to bring the lens in to Tamron to get it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Time to bring the lens in to Tamron to get it looked at.
    Any Reliable/Cheap repair shops you know of?

Blog Entries

Any Reliable/Cheap repair shops you know of?
    Tamron Service centre if you want a sure thing.

Or you can contact bro fatigue here in ClubSNAP. He gets very busy and there is no guarantee he can fix every lens.