Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good time to buy an old (2nd/3rd hand) DSLR?

Default Re: Is it a good time to buy an old (2nd/3rd hand) DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Should be able to do a simple cost/benefit analysis to see if you'll save more renting vs buying right?

If you rent X number of times a year, how much are you paying?
    If you buy the same equipment you would otherwise rent, how many 'rentals' would you have to do in order to break even? Is it a figure that realistically reflects your actual usage?

That's roughly how I decide to rent or buy. The tricky part is expenses you can't really factor for like unforeseen problems, esp if you're buying 2nd hand. I would say that if cost is such a huge concern, perhaps you're better off renting for now. Less to worry about. Save until you can comfortably buy what you want new.
    Of Course, The renting of DSLR will definitely cheaper than I buy. But with my own DSLR, I can take it with me whenever I want with no time limit; Thats why I am planning to get one after 6 years of renting.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaT View Post
    You are a pro, so I cant compare my usage with you. But still you got the point, nothing will last. I will think about it before making purchase. Hope I will get a sincere seller.

Regards
    Yes, I shoot for living, the lesser I spent unnecessary, the more profit I make.

however, you as a casual shooter, photography solely for hobby, you won't do a profit and loss statement or a balance sheet for your hobby, and nobody does anyway, perhaps some people really do an inventory list for their gears collection.

my point is, what is the value of the pleasure you get from photography? you can't quantify in term of dollar and cents isn't it?

so just do whatever way that make sense to you and make you happy, nobody can tell you that you should eat a plate of chicken rice cost $3.50 at hawker centre instead of the $25.00 chicken rice at 5 stars hotel.
    you can take whatever opinion given to you, but at end of the day, the decision is yours.

Of Course, The renting of DSLR will definitely cheaper than I buy. But with my own DSLR, I can take it with me whenever I want with no time limit; Thats why I am planning to get one after 6 years of renting.
    the are some other benefits of renting camera and lenses you might not aware, even the pros also rent gears that they don't use often.

you can pick whatever models and combination you want every time you rent, don't have to tie down the same camera and lenses for a few years.
    you can always have the latest model, don't have the headache about how to upgrade your gears
    you don't have to upkeep the camera and no repair cost to bear
    no large sum commitment
    save space too

so you think owning a camera can take it whenever you want, you have to ask yourself how often you have a spur of the moment to bring camera shoot sunrise, or Christmas night scene etc, or any impromptu moment that you wish you have a camera with you.

of course you feel it is affordable and justifiable, than just do it.

btw, buy a new or used gear is more of personal preference, some people won't feel comfortable to get used gear even it is a good deal or like new, some people will have less issue on this. so just do whatever you feel right.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Do you have any glass? Glass is very important.

I would not hesitate to purchase any of the models you list in good used condition with less than 40K snaps on the clock from sincere for real no phoney seller. Pro Level camera means something no???

Now back to glass...Pro camera needs good glass...budget for it.

As for thread title...here lately prices where I am have been low and flat not a sellers market. Holidays are coming so probably see increase. These things are seasonal and if you watch for a few years you can see trend easily. Now is the time to buy here...yesterday was better...tomorrow probably not...in your neck of the woods however it may be different.

PS You don't have to run with the Joneses...get you a nice system and bag and utilize it...like you said take it with you and I would add...take it with you every where you go! bro Benjamin and bro kandinsky said things wise...what makes you happy..save up till you can afford it and get what you really want. You've had good run with some renters so you should have a good idea of what you want. Don't worry so much about fixing stuff my advice.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 18th November 2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Do you have any glass? Glass is very important.

I would not hesitate to purchase any of the models you list in good used condition with less than 40K snaps on the clock from sincere for real no phoney seller. Pro Level camera means something no???

Now back to glass...Pro camera needs good glass...budget for it.

As for thread title...here lately prices where I am have been low and flat not a sellers market. Holidays are coming so probably see increase. These things are seasonal and if you watch for a few years you can see trend easily. Now is the time to buy here...yesterday was better...tomorrow probably not...in your neck of the woods however it may be different.

PS You don't have to run with the Joneses...get you a nice system and bag and utilize it...like you said take it with you and I would add...take it with you every where you go! bro Benjamin and bro kandinsky said things wise...what makes you happy..save up till you can afford it and get what you really want. You've had good run with some renters so you should have a good idea of what you want. Don't worry so much about fixing stuff my advice.
    My other friends also suggest me to go with my heart, and do the save up to get what I want the most

My other friends also suggest me to go with my heart, and do the save up to get what I want the most
    I think if you have to save for it, you may be stretching yourself to the limit. What happens if the fantastic condition used pro camera you buy breaks down after a day's use? Uncommon, but not unheard of. Without a warranty, repairs on pro bodies can cost a bomb. Then again, used D700s and 5D2s (about the same age as the D700) are quite inexpensive.

It's a question you have to answer yourself - used pro body (all your eggs in one basket) or newer semi-pro body, that may be more advanced technologically, lessen the one-time risk

5DIII isn't old.
    I don't see a problem with Canon support if you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I think if you have to save for it, you may be stretching yourself to the limit. What happens if the fantastic condition used pro camera you buy breaks down after a day's use? Uncommon, but not unheard of. Without a warranty, repairs on pro bodies can cost a bomb. Then again, used D700s and 5D2s (about the same age as the D700) are quite inexpensive.

It's a question you have to answer yourself - used pro body (all your eggs in one basket) or newer semi-pro body, that may be more advanced technologically, lessen the one-time risk
    This is the another question that strike my mind in considerating, so I am trying to convice myself to get a lower body

Blog Entries

This is the another question that strike my mind in considerating, so I am trying to convice myself to get a lower body
    The important thing to note is, do you really need pro bodies for what you want to shoot?

Pro bodies are built to fulfill different set of requirenent. D4 for speed, D800 for resolution, D700 is watered down version of nikon's first FF cam (D3).

Sensors do flow down the line to lower end models so image quality can be pretty much the same within the same generation. What is different is feature sets/configurations offered. So you have to be clear on what you really need.

Exaample, if you only shoot landscape, it will be a waste of money to be lugging a D4 around.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The important thing to note is, do you really need pro bodies for what you want to shoot?

Pro bodies are built to fulfill different set of requirenent. D4 for speed, D800 for resolution, D700 is watered down version of nikon's first FF cam (D3).

Sensors do flow down the line to lower end models so image quality can be pretty much the same within the same generation. What is different is feature sets/configurations offered. So you have to be clear on what you really need.

Exaample, if you only shoot landscape, it will be a waste of money to be lugging a D4 around.
    I will using it for taking photos when I am travelling around, most of the images will be quite static, so I know that D4 and D810 will be overkilling. However I prefer the grip and more AF points in the pro bodies, thats why I am looking only at the pro bodies at this moment.

Hi all,

I have been renting DSLR for years (for hobbies), and now I decided to buy myself a DSLR. I wanted to get a pro body, but due to budget problem, I only can get a 2nd hand one.

I am looking at Canon 5DIII / 1DX or Nikon D700,D800,D810,D4. My doubt is if I got one of these( esp 5DIII and D700), will it last for the next couple of years? Will the service centres will still service these models?

So is it advisable to get a later model?

I don't want to spend a few thousand bucks and "touch wood"; the camera broke down and it cannot be fixed.

I hope someone here will enlighten me.

Thanks

Regards
    U r thinking too much.

Buying an used camera is like buying an used car.

If you are really into cameras, think of getting brand new one. Always remember that u can always sell it off in future. So in terms of money, u are not losing alot.

If u r still getting used one, always get as latest model as possible, due to technology and spare parts (you seem to be worried about repairs)

Of coz, u can still stick to renting. I don't see any problems about renting.

No one can tell you how long it will last. It depends alot on your luck and usage.

I will using it for taking photos when I am travelling around, most of the images will be quite static, so I know that D4 and D810 will be overkilling. However I prefer the grip and more AF points in the pro bodies, thats why I am looking only at the pro bodies at this moment.
    Wow. I hope you are used to the weight of the professional dSLRs too.

Back to the topic, I think there are high-end bodies in reasonable shape around. So it's a risk, but I think it is still manageable.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Blog Entries

Even when travelling, I will avoid taking the D4 out unless it is a 100% photography trip. Nowadays, I take my small mirrorless out a lot more. Pro bodies like D4 are not light to begin with. Coupled to big lenses for fullframe image circle, your back will hate you.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th November 2015 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Wow. I hope you are used to the weight of the professional dSLRs too.

Back to the topic, I think there are high-end bodies in reasonable shape around. So it's a risk, but I think it is still manageable.
    Last time I rent a 5DII with 50mm1.2 with me for 2 full days, going around like a tourist and i find the weight is manageable. Thus weight I dont is a problem to me

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Even when travelling, I will avoid taking the D4 out unless it is a 100% photography trip. Nowadays, I take my small mirrorless out a lot more. Pro bodies like D4 are not light to begin with. Coupled to big lenses for fullframe image circle, your back will hate you.
    I am planning just to get a 24-70 2.8 and a body , thats all. I believe it wont be much hurt for my back
    Last edited by ErikaT; 19th November 2015 at 08:12 AM.

Seriously, these days, we prefer smaller mirrorless cameras if we are tourists in other countries. Any DSLR is over killed.

And for personal safety factor, you don't want to announce to the whole world that u r a silly tourist with a DSLR waiting to be mugged.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Seriously, these days, we prefer smaller mirrorless cameras if we are tourists in other countries. Any DSLR is over killed.

And for personal safety factor, you don't want to announce to the whole world that u r a silly tourist with a DSLR waiting to be mugged.
    This is true. But I do not want to get 2 different cameras ( one DSLR, one Mirrorless). For this reason, I will choose DSLR over a mirrorless

I am planning just to get a 24-70 2.8 and a body , thats all. I believe it wont be much hurt for my back
    This is true. But I do not want to get 2 different cameras ( one DSLR, one Mirrorless). For this reason, I will choose DSLR over a mirrorless

Yes, I would said you just follow your heart, remember, when there are times that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, you can always leave your camera and lens at the hotel and shoot everything with iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6. :-)
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Now that we know what is your purpose of using DSLR, I can tell you that it's overkill.

But eventually its up to you. If u wan to have that shiok feeling of using DSLR, go ahead.

Now that we know what is your purpose of using DSLR, I can tell you that it's overkill. But eventually its up to you. If u wan to have that shiok feeling of using DSLR, go ahead.
    to each its own, there are a lot of SUV drivers around who haven't driven the car off a tarmac road

Now that we know what is your purpose of using DSLR, I can tell you that it's overkill.

But eventually its up to you. If u wan to have that shiok feeling of using DSLR, go ahead.

Say, thanks for being so impartial and giving such a balance view representing all the photographers on our behlaf.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast