View Poll Results: B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • B+W Käsesemann MRC

11 32.35%
  • Heliopan SH-PMC

5 14.71%
  • B+W MRC

13 38.24%
  • View Results

5 14.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

Default Re: B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

I dunno...if this is the polarizer you're talking about it doesn't look slim to me

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...oductNr=25667#

The B+W have a new filter design F-Pro mount which actually makes the regular filters slimmer (allowing for front threads as well)...not as slim as the slim polarizers...those are for seriously wide lenses...but this guy explains what f-pro mount is:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ro+Mount&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by RobWithers
    Actually the Nikon is $25 cheaper...I was wrong...as you can see by this link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...16&Submit.y=10

I'm not sure what that means in terms of quality between the 2 brands...I know everywhere else the Kaeseman is above $210US and here in Canada, $330US....B&H seem to be able to get extreamly good prices (probably becuase of their buying power.

I don't know much about the Nikon polarizer as I am a Canon guy but what type of glass is it? What type of metal is the ring made from? Is it multi-coated? Is it edge-sealed? I dunno...

Rob
    Don't worry.

It is filter only, no compatibility issue if used in Canon or others. It is to help to reduce reflection on plant and glass (especially on plant's leaf), and to make a sky more blue. Most people use it for landscape.

Just my coriosity, if you use glasses, and Canon guy, do you stay away from Nikon glasses?

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Don't worry.

It is filter only, no compatibility issue if used in Canon or others. It is to help to reduce reflection on plant and glass (especially on plant's leaf), and to make a sky more blue. Most people use it for landscape.

Just my coriosity, if you use glasses, and Canon guy, do you stay away from Nikon glasses?

Regards,
    Arto.
    Thanks man, I know what a polarizer is for else I wouldn't be wanting to buy such a high quality one. You are only half right with what it's used for...sky, yes...reflection, yes...but the best way to use it is to look for something brown and make that brown subject as saturated as you can or as you see it yourself...sky is only half the battle...in some cases the polarizer can actually make the sky too dark.

As for the Nikon glasses thing...the fact is these Nikon Polarizers don't seem to be too popular and I have already asked what they are made from...no one has replied...and to answer your question, glasses and lenses are two different things and if it was the brand name I was so worried about I would just buy a Canon polarizer not a B+W or Heliopan.

Not sure what Cathay Photo is but B&H might have them for you...depending on the size.

I am planning to order the 77mm but the only one they have stock is the slim Kaesemann and I want the front threads so I have to wait....plus they're on vacation for a week anyway...here is a link to B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=10&Submit.y=5
    Oh, my apology. I was actually referring to a local shop here in Singapore; one of the recommended Camera & Accessories shop. If you ever come to Singapore, visit this shop for your camera or accessories. Their webpage is http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg

Thanks man, I know what a polarizer is for else I wouldn't be wanting to buy such a high quality one. You are only half right with what it's used for...sky, yes...reflection, yes...but the best way to use it is to look for something brown and make that brown subject as saturated as you can or as you see it yourself...sky is only half the battle...in some cases the polarizer can actually make the sky too dark.

As for the Nikon glasses thing...the fact is these Nikon Polarizers don't seem to be too popular and I have already asked what they are made from...no one has replied...and to answer your question, glasses and lenses are two different things and if it was the brand name I was so worried about I would just buy a Canon polarizer not a B+W or Heliopan.
    It's a glass, and flass' thickness is about 1mm. The price is around $195.
    That's what I know about this Nikon Cir-Polarizer 77mm (no, I don't have it, I am using cheap one, marumi 67mm $40). From the price, Nikon one should be MC filter. B+W is German, some prefer German because they believed German's optic and technology is superb.

Regards,
    Arto.

It's made of glass, and glass' thickness is about 1mm. The price is around $195.
    That's what I know about this Nikon Cir-Polarizer 77mm (no, I don't have it, I am using cheap one, marumi 67mm $40). From the price, Nikon one should be MC filter. B+W is German, some prefer German because they believed German's optic and technology is superb.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 21st October 2005 at 02:13 PM.

Artosoft,

Well B+W and Heliopan IMO are using the best glass (schott glass, Zeiss...as it sounds like you know)...as for Nikon, I don't know, no one seems to want to tell me, and the website offers absolutely no information, so I'd much rather go with a product which has upfront information...
    Last edited by RobWithers; 22nd October 2005 at 12:16 AM.

Do you guys know anything about this?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/296538

Yep. Heard of this problem on this lens. Hopefully Canon can solves it. Almost planned to get this lens by year-end but now a bit shaky and doubtful.

hi all,

just to share that i do prefer Heliopan CP filters anytime. i do own Nikon, B+W, Rodenstock and Heliopan. here are some of their strengths.

Nikon: cheaper than the german stuff. easy to grip rims. color cast in the glass.

B+W: super sturdy brass rims. v.slight color cast in the glass.

Rodenstock: rims not as sturdy as B+W. good glass and coating. no color cast in the glass. coating is better than B+W.

Heliopan: looks like Rodenstock (maybe OEM for Rodenstock), VERY good glass and coating.....it's like there's no glass at all. absolutely neutral with no color cast. this one i sure keep!!! Heliopan's normal filters are also a killer with very good coating....the only complain is that their rims are not as good as B+W.

hope it helps.

Talking Re: B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

Nikon and Canon glass are not compatibale. Haha...most funny joke I ever heard!!!

Any shops selling Heliopans in Singapore?

Fotographix at lucky chinatown. But I don't think he has stock of the SH-PMC series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Fotographix at lucky chinatown. But I don't think he has stock of the SH-PMC series.
    Thanks, I wonder why Cathay Photo doesnt carry them...

Tried the 77mm B+W MRC non slim version on my Tokina 12-24..it does vignette at the wider end due to the thicker label at the front. End up with a Marumi slim CPL, all problem solved.

There are some who said that the Nikon was OEM from Hoya but there is no way to verify this. But their UV filter rim look very alike with the Hoya.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12