Noah's Ark? They used to be at Seletar until the tenants shooed them out for some land ownership dispute thing right?Originally Posted by Newman
Its sad to see another animal sanctuary gone. How's it doing in JB now? But den trips up north like these are a luxury for me since I don't have a car. Going to JB is like a holiday for me.
Aha! I see some really nice big doggies there.
To add onto the list...
Avoid using the dog repeller, which emits an ultrasonic tone, or repellent, which is like a mace spray. Why do you want to hurt them? Most dogs are not aggressive creatures. After all, dogs are man's best friends.
- Dogs can be territorial and that's why they bark when you are close to their territory. It's just their way of warning you. Usually, you can walk pass them slowly and they won't do anything to you. Don't stare at them when you do so.
- If you pass by the place frequently, like what jsbn said, let them sniff your hand. Once they know you, they'll be wagging their tails the next time they see you.
- Do not attempt to kick them or punch them or hurt them in some other way. You'd only make them more angry.
- If you decide to approach them, do it slowly with no sudden movements.
- If you are attacked and you can't outrun them, curl up like a ball and protect your ears, face and neck with your hands, and stay still.
- Don't bend over them and pat them on the head (aka between the ears). Imagine if someone taller den u bends over and starts patting ur head. U like that?
- Try not to get very young children around bigger dogs. Some children have more sensitive lungs and are prone to asthmatic attacks if they get around furry stuff. Very young children sometimes have this high-pitched wail that will scare or excite the doggy further. And of cos, if the doggy decided to sniff ur child and ur child's not afraid or is non-allergic to fur, let them sniff. Dogs are carnivores but I believe they dun have a liking for human meat.
- When a strange dog approaches u, squat down to match its height. Don't hang onto the silly pride of "I'm a human being, superior being". Comparing capabilities alone, dogs are much more developed where capabilities are concerned.
- If u're on a bicycle and u hear dogs barking and wanna get out of the place. Don't show fear and start to pedal franatically away. High chances are they WILL chase u with their tails between their legs and if they can get to the side of u, chances are they will jump onto u and knock u down. Stay calm and pedal away as normal.
- If u see a quiet dog looking moody, don't extend ur hand first. Very high chances of getting urself nipped. Sit beside the dog and do nothing.
- If u are bitten (that's what I notice), don't yelp away in pain, screaming and beating the dog frantically like a madman and jumping around the place with the dog's mouth on ur hand. Trained attacking Police German Sheperds and Pitbulls will get very excited and will bite harder. For attacking strays, kick them hard and run 2.4km like u're running a 50m sprinting race they will chase u for a short while before giving up. For attacking police dogs (I dun think u guys will get it), just surrender. They are very obeidient to the owner and will stop biting once the police can get their cuffs on u.
Typically dogs wun attack another human being with no rhyme or reason unless u see the dog panting heavily away, drooling, with a crazy look in its eyes.
- A dog with a relaxed swinging tail is a friendly dog. A dog with a stiff, erect, double-quicktime wagging is an excited dog.
Anymore to add onto the list?