Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

Default Re: Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

When an item to a shop/company be it for consignment sale, repairs, cleaning/servicing, the receipt should have the exact model and serial number as well as any other accessories attached to it - eg battery, lens hood, filter, front.end or body caps, camera strap etc.

The fact that the shop does not do this seems to be an indication of possible shadiness.

Heres what I would consider if im in your shoes:
    If you know the gears' current market worth - sell it on b&s here
    If you are unsure of its worth - send to reputable online sources for quoting(such as KEH)
    If you see value in fond memories made using said gears - get a glass cabinet and put it on display
    If it is of little market value - gift it to someone attempting to start up photography!

My condolences for the incident =/

Leo!

I have not forgot you bro...I'll send your camera eventually...I will try to do that Monday at lunch. Please bear with me it will be worth it.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by klkang View Post
    Hello Senior, I am upset and frustrated with what has happened with regards to my intention to sell the 2 SLR camera equipments and thought it is necessary to share my bad experience with the photographic community here.

After my above post, I was recommended by a friend to check out this shop at SunShine Plaza to see if they can buy from me the 2 sets of camera equipments. To cut the long story short, I was persuaded by a Michael Tam who was attending the shop SLR Accessories to leave my equipments with him as he need to test those equipments and he will check with his "members" as he has a membership subscription system in his shop with over a thousand members. I was hesitant but he was persuasive so I trusted him. As it turns out, the camera was not sold and when I retrieve them a few days later, he switch them into faulty , mouldy camera from my original.

I am not an expert really in photography, but one set belongs to me and the other belongs to my wife, both of which we kept in dry box for many years and in very good conditions, more importantly, they came with sentimental value. I confronted Michael Tam and he challenge me to sue him if I have evidence.

I have made a police report which I will be attaching in this post. I have also discovered his shop was actually struck off from ACRA with effect from 5 June 2015 but he is still operating the business without a licence. I have made a formal complaint to ACRA on this matter too. More detail on this incident can be found in both reports.
    Sorry to hear that, hope your issue will be resolved soon.

the same shop was highly recommended in another thread, 2-month old Olympus OMD E-M5 Mark ii accidentally fell in swimming pool

I post a link of this thread to let our members take caution when dealing with buy and sell of camera gears with any shops or individuals.
    Last edited by catchlights; 5th December 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Leo!

I have not forgot you bro...I'll send your camera eventually...I will try to do that Monday at lunch. Please bear with me it will be worth it.
    Hey! Been awhile since we chatted! Im finally back to shooting now that my internship is over! Will look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by skf View Post
    When an item to a shop/company be it for consignment sale, repairs, cleaning/servicing, the receipt should have the exact model and serial number as well as any other accessories attached to it - eg battery, lens hood, filter, front.end or body caps, camera strap etc.

The fact that the shop does not do this seems to be an indication of possible shadiness.
    Well I have to bear responsibility for being naive. Hence paid the price now for losing my camera. It is the sentimental value attached as I have kept the equipment faithfully in my dry box for so many years. In any case, hopefully by sharing no one else will fallen into the same trap.

Basically I was told the following (i) leave it here for testing otherwise he cannot ascertain a proper pricing (ii) he has a lot of membership and can get good value (iii) many of his customer trust him and leave it in his shop to sell (in other word it is the norm) and his shop already has many set of camera from other people (iv) lastly he agreed to write me a receipt [ of course he wrote something on a piece of paper and I was foolish to accept that without probing further)

The fact that his shop is operating without a license further demonstrate its shady business practice .

Well I have to bear responsibility for being naive. Hence paid the price now for losing my camera. It is the sentimental value attached as I have kept the equipment faithfully in my dry box for so many years. In any case, hopefully by sharing no one else will fallen into the same trap.

Basically I was told the following (i) leave it here for testing otherwise he cannot ascertain a proper pricing (ii) he has a lot of membership and can get good value (iii) many of his customer trust him and leave it in his shop to sell (in other word it is the norm) and his shop already has many set of camera from other people (iv) lastly he agreed to write me a receipt [ of course he wrote something on a piece of paper and I was foolish to accept that without probing further)

The fact that his shop is operating without a license further demonstrate its shady business practice .
    Did you read michaeltam's reply #7 in your other thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575046

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheSolar View Post
    Heres what I would consider if im in your shoes:
    If you know the gears' current market worth - sell it on b&s here
    If you are unsure of its worth - send to reputable online sources for quoting(such as KEH)
    If you see value in fond memories made using said gears - get a glass cabinet and put it on display
    If it is of little market value - gift it to someone attempting to start up photography!

My condolences for the incident =/
    Thanks - anyway I dont even know what is KEH - can you tell me...hehe

Thanks - anyway I dont even know what is KEH - can you tell me...hehe
    Its a online shop that buys/sells/repairs new and preloved photography gear. One of the best imo. Got my lovely rollei35 from them. Accurate condition description also.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151208_214846.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  93.7 KB

Other alternatives can be BHphoto or Adorama. Both credible online seller company or so I heard. Bought from BHphoto before, but not preloved gear. KEH is the only one I know that is more 'dedicated' to preloved gears B&S.

I dont see any advantage a local and possibly shady shop has against reputable online shops. Unless you hate the idea of online transactions and overseas delivery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12