Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

Default Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

Hello everyone. I have the followings which I did not used at all and are kept in my dry box for many years.

1. EOS 5 + EF 24-85 + 540 Speedlite EZ + VG10 Vertical Grip

2. Nikon F90 (MF-25) + AF Nikkor 28-85mm + Nikon Speed light SB-25

Should I keep it as antique? But I really wish to clear the space and declutter my house, can I sell it for decent amount ??? Any idea how much can I sell it for and where to sell it? Would really appreciate some help here. thanks

Default Re: Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

Can sell here in B&S. Offer a good price and you'll find a buyer

I vote declutter by disposing of bodies. Give to youngster interested in film. Glass is different. That is where you will get money. The snaps you made with said gear are priceless.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

FYI, my F90X with drive only selling for $150 a few month ago, and I regarded for not selling it away while it still can fetch $600 to $700 when I switch to digital.

Keep it as an antique is gonne cost you a lot, and end of the day you may find not worth for wasting time and space on these.

lesson learnt, I will dispose the gears at whatever price once I no longer need them, just get rip of them so I can move forward.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Talking Re: Need advice: Do I keep my old SLR cameras or sell away?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    I vote declutter by disposing of bodies. Give to youngster interested in film. Glass is different. That is where you will get money. The snaps you made with said gear are priceless.
    sorry brother, what do you mean by " Glass is different. That is where you will get money. The snaps you made with said gear are priceless "??

Thanks for the advice senior. I know Peninsular Plaza got some second hand shop where I can check pricing for my gear, is tere any other places I can go to sell these gear?? thank you again.

You can still use the lenses if you are still sticking to the Canon, Nikon DSLR bodies. I still use the EZ540 as a manual flash.

Post what you want to sell in the BnS section in this forum like what shierwin said. Offer a good price and someone may help you de-clutter your house.

Though my Nikon FG is almost all but stop working. I kept that for sentimental reason as it was my first SLR and first Nikon camera along with my Nikon E lens 50mm 1.8 ( which I was so familiar with dismantling it time after time to clean each element. But all my other cameras after that FM2, FE2, FA, F100,F4s & F5, I sold them all when I upgrade to the next one. Because most are mechanical or semi mechanical and are mid to higher level bodies, I can still get a reasonable price for them as trade up. But with the DLSRs things are less durable or with too many models hitting the market quicker, they don't hold their value well and for example like shutter count, fussy people will use that to justify pressing your price..etc So in the end all my D300 and D70, I keep and they all still work. Even my D300 which has past it's shutter count by a big factor, it still works fine and as my standby camera to my D4.

If it is not worth selling for more then $200 I would rather keep it. Right now trying to find batter for my dying D70 is almost impossible last I check. I wonder how long before the same will happen to the D300. Once batteries are hard to get or obselet, your DLSR can be in tip top condition but no one is going to buy it. Same like your smartphone.

As for lens, I can't fully agree that keeping glass would make sense over time. Maybe if you are suing those old lens in the present crop of camera to about 24 to maybe 36megapixels. The thing is as DLSR approach the 50 megapixel or higher resolution, older lens even those offered in the last decade or more are already reaching their maximum clarity to present crop of sensors. There are some articles you find out there to explain that further. But suffice to say as sensor get higher and better at capturing IQ, better refinement in glass, coating and algorithm will be requirement to get the most out higher next gen sensors. So a better glass can make your Nikon 810 look possibly better even if your D810 is a few years older fro now. Relevant if you are a pixel peeper heh
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Am still keeping my dad's Rolleicord TLR which started my photography hobby. My 1st SLR was
    the TopCon (can't remember the model though) sold off when I bought the Nikon F2 Photomic with
    Motordrive MD3 and the Nikkor 50/1.4 , 105/2.5 and 35/2 which is still working fine, a periodic
    usage to ensure the mechanical parts are still functioning. Then started off with 2 Yashica FX3 Super 2000s
    as they are C/Y mount for Zeiss lenses of the Contax system. First Zeiss lens was the 100mm f2 Planar
    and finally bought the Contax RTSIII.

I am more of a nostalgic person and will not let go all of the items even though my dry cabinet is cluttered
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Hello Senior, I am upset and frustrated with what has happened with regards to my intention to sell the 2 SLR camera equipments and thought it is necessary to share my bad experience with the photographic community here.

After my above post, I was recommended by a friend to check out this shop at SunShine Plaza to see if they can buy from me the 2 sets of camera equipments. To cut the long story short, I was persuaded by a Michael Tam who was attending the shop SLR Accessories to leave my equipments with him as he need to test those equipments and he will check with his "members" as he has a membership subscription system in his shop with over a thousand members. I was hesitant but he was persuasive so I trusted him. As it turns out, the camera was not sold and when I retrieve them a few days later, he switch them into faulty , mouldy camera from my original.

I am not an expert really in photography, but one set belongs to me and the other belongs to my wife, both of which we kept in dry box for many years and in very good conditions, more importantly, they came with sentimental value. I confronted Michael Tam and he challenge me to sue him if I have evidence.

I have made a police report which I will be attaching in this post. I have also discovered his shop was actually struck off from ACRA with effect from 5 June 2015 but he is still operating the business without a licence. I have made a formal complaint to ACRA on this matter too. More detail on this incident can be found in both reports.

Name:  Police Report_Page_1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.3 KBName:  Police Report_Page_2.jpg
Size:  61.7 KBName:  Police Report_Page_3.jpg
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  ACRA - complaint note_Page_2.jpg
Size:  18.6 KBName:  ACRA - complaint note_Page_1.jpg
Size:  65.5 KB

I obviously have to protect my privacy and has deleted my particular. I am however helping the community here to avoid falling victim to this shop and details of the unscrupulous shop owner is posted below so everyone will avoid falling into his scam:
    Name:  20151119_120725.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Michael Tam
    I suppose this is the same Tam Keng In with NRIC S2615457Z staying at 102 Haig Road #08-09 Dunman View S(438798) extracted from ACRA.

Name:  SLR_Page_1.jpg
Size:  62.7 KBName:  SLR_Page_2.jpg
Size:  54.8 KBName:  SLR_Page_3.jpg
Size:  56.1 KBName:  SLR_Page_4.jpg
Size:  28.5 KB

Lastly, since I am holding on to those faulty camera, I obviously will not sell them. Perhaps I will donate to some photography school at some stage and let student use them after the school repair them (if indeed they can be repaired) . I probably will hold on to these camera for the time being until the police allow me to dispose of it.

Michael Tam facebook account is : Kengli Michael Tam

Probably tough to settle as a criminal case, consider engaging lawyer to sue him instead? Though costly ... anyway sad to hear your story. I started off from DSLR, so far the old camera still in my dry box (Sony A330). Best of luck bro.

Interestingly, I do not see any serial numbers stated in the police report. Why is that so?

This Michael never die before

That Jover Chew case has set a new precedence in jail sentence and the law about retail businesses.

Micheal wants to squat in the same cell as Jover, is it?

TS, since Micheal wants to play tough with you, go all the way with him.

But I hope you have documentation to prove that you had left yr stuff in his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Interestingly, I do not see any serial numbers stated in the police report. Why is that so?
    That was what I thought. One thing I know with all my gear I buy and when I sell.. I keep a list of all the different model and product numbers. This is just a precautionary safeguard in case of bait-and-switch and in case there is a need to proof of ownership like when you sell the item and later they come back to say it is spoilt and want their money back, I need to have on the receipt that it is the same item sold and not changed.

Anyway, lesson learnt I am afraid for klklang's case if that camera was switched.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast